Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female Reporter Exodus From ESPN

Female Reporter Exodus From ESPN

Erin Andrews is the latest female to leave ESPN

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...20--ncaaf.html

This comes on the heels of Michelle Beadle who left for NBC a month ago.

I wonder how much Fox Sports is paying her. I think ESPN is smart not to get into a bidding war for her services. There'll always be another pretty face ready to take her place. I watch games because of the teams on the field, not because of who asks the two stupid questions of the coach at halftime

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bimbo Exodus From ESPN

I think bimbo is a little harsh, but I see the root of the sentiment and don't disagree. Sideline reporters have never really added anything to the experience of the game to me. I don't care if they are a former athlete like a Lynn Swan or a 'hot' woman like Erin Andrews. The jobs not complex, hire the next one and move on. No one watches a telecast based on the sideline reporter.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I think bimbo is a little harsh, but I see the root of the sentiment and don't disagree. Sideline reporters have never really added anything to the experience of the game to me. I don't care if they are a former athlete like a Lynn Swan or a 'hot' woman like Erin Andrews. The jobs not complex, hire the next one and move on. No one watches a telecast based on the sideline reporter.

I think it's unfair to call Erin Andrews out and act like she has a job just because of her good looks. I actually think she's pretty talented. Whether you feel she's being utilized correctly or not is another matter. But she seems pretty knowledgable and is passionate about what she does.

Re: Female Reporter Exodus From ESPN

Erin Andrews always got on my nerves but Beadle was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think it's unfair to call Erin Andrews out and act like she has a job just because of her good looks. I actually think she's pretty talented. Whether you feel she's being utilized correctly or not is another matter. But she seems pretty knowledgable and is passionate about what she does.
    Can we agree that looks is part of the job description ? Do you think Rosie O'Donnell will be considered for her replacement?

Andrews may have a certain following simply because of her looks (and I actually don't understand why some are so gaga over her looks), but IMHO, she generally tried to bring substance. She's probably too talented for the cliche that is sideline reporter.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Can we agree that looks is part of the job description ? Do you think Rosie O'Donnell will be considered for her replacement?
    I'm not saying her looks weren't part of the reason ESPN hired her. What I am saying is, looks or no looks, she's damn good at what she does. We can agree to disagree on that I suppose.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

ESPN is a cheap network when it comes to paying their "celebrities" what they are worth in the open market. Being male or female does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    ESPN is a cheap network when it comes to paying their "celebrities" what they are worth in the open market. Being male or female does not matter.
    Thing is, as much as many of us dislike ESPN, they are the draw not the 'talent'.

I've said in my life, "gosh I can't wait to see Sports Center tonight", but I've never said "I really want to see what Erin Andrews says tonight on TV".

ESPN is the machine, it goes on whether Andrews or Berman or anyone is there.

For those not paying attention, Erin & Michelle leaving ESPN isn't a "because they're women" thing. There is a long history of people rising to fame on ESPN, then leaving for something else when ESPN won't match the kind of offers they're making elsewhere. Keith Olberman, Craig Killborn, Rich Eisen, Dan Patrick, Kevin Frasier, Brian Kenney, Max Kellerman, etc, etc, etc...

Frankly the formula works. ESPN takes a largely unknown person, put them in a role where the country gets comfortable with them, then when they get to the point that the start seeing increasing offers elsewhere, ESPN replaces them with the next person.

Wouldn't surprise me much to see Scott Van Pelt follow Erin out the door. Both have been rumored to be on their way out for several months now.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I'm not saying her looks weren't part of the reason ESPN hired her. What I am saying is, looks or no looks, she's damn good at what she does. We can agree to disagree on that I suppose.
    If that's what you're saying then you're just refusing to address my question. I understand you weren't saying that looks "weren't part of the reason ESPN hired her", that's why I asked the question of you. Instead of answering it, you decided to make another point, one which you'd already made.

Since you've decided to go down that road, let's pursue it. What do you see about her that makes her damn good at what she does? What sets her apart from other sideline reporters? What is it that sets her apart from Shelley Smith, Holly Rowe and Wendi Nix?

Remember ESPN Radio's Fabulous Sports Babe? She was on radio and the early days of ESPN 2 in the 1990s. Definitely knew her sports but there was clearly a reason why her career never went beyond radio...

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    For those not paying attention, Erin & Michelle leaving ESPN isn't a "because they're women" thing. There is a long history of people rising to fame on ESPN, then leaving for something else when ESPN won't match the kind of offers they're making elsewhere. Keith Olberman, Craig Killborn, Rich Eisen, Dan Patrick, Kevin Frasier, Brian Kenney, Max Kellerman, etc, etc, etc...

Frankly the formula works. ESPN takes a largely unknown person, put them in a role where the country gets comfortable with them, then when they get to the point that the start seeing increasing offers elsewhere, ESPN replaces them with the next person.

Wouldn't surprise me much to see Scott Van Pelt follow Erin out the door. Both have been rumored to be on their way out for several months now.
    I agree with you that it isn't a male-female thing but if you're saying it's a money thing, I will tend to disagree. I think in most cases it was a political thing. The article I posted earlier alluded to that:

In March, rumors started floating around that Andrews was unhappy at ESPN and that her agent was shopping her talents.
    In the case of Olbermann, Kilborn and Dan Patrick, they wanted to pursue other things and not be forever tied to Sportscenter

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with you that it isn't a male-female thing but if you're saying it's a money thing, I will tend to disagree. I think in most cases it was a political thing. The article I posted earlier alluded to that:

In the case of Olbermann, Kilborn and Dan Patrick, they wanted to pursue other things and not be forever tied to Sportscenter
    Perhaps they were exploring other things, but Dan Patrick left radio to... form his own radio program. I'm sure he would have stuck around had ESPN been willing to pay him more, releave him of his sportscenter duties, etc... Instead, they knew they could backfill that radio slot with someone else and proceed forward.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post

Van Pelt already re-signed, I believe.

Turn Off Ads?