Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Look, here's the thing...remember a few years ago when KGJ, Donkey and Larkin were essentially doing whatever they wanted? Remember how Larkin was playing with the team and the fans about his final year? Remember how dunn and Junior were the big kids in the clubhouse and not the leaders on the team when things were bad but because they were great/good players they were given a pass?

Think back...BP came to the Reds during that time and everyone was backing away from being the leader. Larkin was the "leader" by default because of his career, the time he had been with the Reds and his ability to speak Spanish which now nearly every high school graduate does.

During that time when those three guys were just happy to be together BP was brash, bold and cocky enough to tell the organization and the fans HE was ready to be the face of the franchise. was he ever asked? I don't know but I always liked the kick in the pants BP was to the rest of the team in a day and time when the team we all loved SUCKED.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?

AVG-.404 OBP-.463 SLG-.566 OPS-1.029 (124 Plate Appearances)

On a team this season that seems to find every way possible to NOT have a quality at-bat with runners in scoring position, Brandon Phillips is making it look very easy.

Or, how about just with Runners on Base: (210 Plate Appearances)

AVG-.330 OBP-.392 SLG-.486 OPS-.878 RBI-68
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-19-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    No, we beat them up when they reveal that they're self-absorbed and willing to talk down a teammate to justify a perceived slight to themselves.
    Not many people cared when he did it about Josh Hamilton. Joey Votto is not Josh Hamilton, but I bet a lot of people won't even have knowledge that this was even said by Phillips. I have never seen Cincinnati Magazine in my life and I have lived here for nearly 30 years.

Chris Sabo's Goggles ‏@Goggles17 22m
    Don't worry, Brandon, many #Reds fans will be "scarred" by your extremely-generous-considering-your-age contract in a few years, too.

6. Likes:

Bumstead (07-19-2013),dougdirt (07-19-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-19-2013),mth123 (07-19-2013),reds44 (07-19-2013)

What did he say about Joey that was false?

Still had two years...fact
    Stays to himself.....fact
    One of the best players in the game....fact
    Plain Jain.....as fact as it gets.

What did he say about Joey that put Joey down in any way, shape, or form??

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not many people cared when he did it about Josh Hamilton. Joey Votto is not Josh Hamilton, but I bet a lot of people won't even have knowledge that this was even said by Phillips. I have never seen Cincinnati Magazine in my life and I have lived here for nearly 30 years.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ardinals-more/ Nick Hurm already has done a blog post on it for the Enquirer and it is all over Twitter. Sports radio has little else to talk about so it will be on that if it isn't already.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ardinals-more/ Nick Hurm already has done a blog post on it for the Enquirer and it is all over Twitter. Sports radio has little else to talk about so it will be on that if it isn't already.
    Do most casual fans check Cincinnati.com for Reds info or twitter for Reds info?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    That kind of honesty can cause a lot of problems when you are playing a team sport and have to be around guys every day, particularly when things aren't going as well as planned. Better left in his back pocket in my opinion.
    Sure, it could. That's not really in dispute. But that doesn't explain the backlash by fans criticizing him for said comments. I suppose it's up to his teammates as to whether these comments are a big deal. My hunch is they are not.

I agree he was better off not saying them. But it doesn't mean there's anything inherently wrong with him feeling that way. I'd like to meet the first person that has never had resentment or jealousy about a work-related matter, especially when it comes to money.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    This.

He's a talented player, and as long as he continues to perform and the team does well, things usually take care of themselves. Let him and the team start slipping and "the act" grows tired. Hope he remains the guy that the other teams love to hate. Hope it doesn't creep in to his own locker room.
    See therein lies the real issue... it's not an "act." WYSIWYG with Brandon.

I wish more athletes would be themselves.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by mrherd05 View Post
    What did he say about Joey that was false?

Still had two years...fact
    Stays to himself.....fact
    One of the best players in the game....fact
    Plain Jain.....as fact as it gets.

What did he say about Joey that put Joey down in any way, shape, or form??
    The fact he felt he needed to say them is kind of a put down. If Votto came out and said Brandon was a black 32 year old second baseman hitting .266 they would be taken as insults but are all facts. Just things that didn't need to be said. They do no good and can only do harm.

The Reds knew what Brandon was like when they signed him to that contract. It might be a problem down the road, but you have to think the Reds will have gotten fair value by then.

In the wake of Patriot football players and some of the simply horrible human beings that call themselves Major League Baseball Players, Brandon Phillips is a shining light.

I love the guy.

15. Likes:

dfs (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Every single player in the Majors are trying to get 'theirs' on payday. Why should Phillips be treated any different just because he's publicly man enough to admit it? I venture to say there's not a single person on this forum that hasn't harbored similar feelings when passed up for a promotion or made to wait in line at work while someone else gets prioritized ahead of them. He's hardly unique in this aspect. These are feelings probably every single person here has had at one time or another.

I, for one, appreciate honestly from athletes. It's refreshing not to hear politically correct, PR-guided soundbites.

Probably wasn't a smart thing to say, but honest nonetheless.
    Cause he's crying about sucking it up to sign his $72,500,000 contract....who wants to hear that?

17. Likes:

mth123 (07-19-2013)

BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his
    He must blame Joey personally, the Reds Twitter King refused to promote Joey on his twitter account for the "FACE of the MLB" twitter contest. The Reds also did photos and videos of other players asking fans to vote Votto, BP also refused to participate in their campaign for the contest.

Makes one wonder how happy the clubhouse is and really how long until the Reds trade BP

If you want to have All-Star, nationally recognized players on your team some will be outspoken and very public. Some will not. This is 2013, top athletes are players, business people, and celebrities.

Articles like this come with the territory. On balance, BP's public persona has been a huge plus for the Reds. It has helped put this franchise back in the national picture. A few years ago it was as if this team didn't exist.

Tim McCarver was extremely lavish in his praise for BP's defense during the telecast of the ASG. I doubt that happens if he is some unknown, anonymous infielder for a losing team in a small market.

If anyone involved with the Reds is rubbed the wrong way by the comments, it will get worked out. As fans, just be happy that anyone bothers writing about the ballclub.

Turn Off Ads?