Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming from Atlanta for opening day...

Coming from Atlanta for opening day...

So I'm bringing my little girl up for opening day. We missed out on the lottery (didnt everybody?) so I need some advice on getting tickets. Obviously I can hit stubhub, ebay or a broker site. My question is whether they'll get demonstrably cheaper the closer we get to the date, or whether I should even try and buy some outside??? She's in first grade, so we might not even make it through the entire game, thus I'm not looking for good seats--that said, I'm SHOCKED at how high the "cheap seats" are right now!!! Thanks for any advice!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Coming from Atlanta for opening day...

I can't say whether or not they'll get cheaper closer to the game. Most games they do, but Opening Day is not most games.

Myself, I bit the bullet and laid down the money for Terrace Outfield seats on StubHub. If you end up going that route, look at several different classes of tickets - sometimes you can get way better seats for not drastically more money. I got mine for about 5 extra per seat compared to bleacher seats.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I'd wait until the day before or day of and buy on stubhub. That way you won't be stressed out about it on gameday and can enjoy the parade and atmosphere with tickets in hand. I didn't think tickets looked too bad the other day when I looked by the way.

I've found that over the past few years, prices for Opening Day will drop to their lowest levels about 2 weeks out...so about St. Patty's Day or thereabouts. As you get closer to Opening Day, the prices will be determined by the weather forecast.

Stub Hub tends to get really really cheap just before the start of a game on gameday - but again - it's opening day -good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    Stub Hub tends to get really really cheap just before the start of a game on gameday - but again - it's opening day -good luck.
    On opening day tickets do not drop like most games. I had this hope last year and waited until the day before, but sadly prices were increasing (probably because people kept buying any tickets left) and I think it would have been smarter to buy them the week before or so. I would recommend buying tickets earlier rather than later (1 or 2 weeks before) and jumping on any tickets you find for 75 or 80 a ticket if you can find it, but i ended up paying about $225 for 2 tickets in the 524 section last year.

I wonder if the fact that they are playing the angels will increase pricing this year along with the hype the Reds and Angels have going into the season though. Tickets already seem pretty high compared to what it was even last year.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

8. Likes:

cooperlamar (02-20-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cooperlamar View Post
    I'd wait until the day before or day of and buy on stubhub. That way you won't be stressed out about it on gameday and can enjoy the parade and atmosphere with tickets in hand. I didn't think tickets looked too bad the other day when I looked by the way.
    I thought opening day sold out most every time? Won't he get screwed and end up without tickets if he waits that long? (Seriously asking as I haven't been to GABP)

Bring your own boiled peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I thought opening day sold out most every time? Won't he get screwed and end up without tickets if he waits that long? (Seriously asking as I haven't been to GABP)
    It sells out but tickets will be available on stubhub the day of the game.

However, sounds like the poster above me had better advice and has more experience with opening day. Sounds like the best time to buy would be mid-March.

If you drive, make sure you stop by the first Kentucky Fried Chicken, its on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If you drive, make sure you stop by the first Kentucky Fried Chicken, its on the way.
    You get that from your 1965 Travel Guide?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You get that from your 1965 Travel Guide?
    Its a state landmark.

There's also a fort built by Daniel Boone.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Its a state landmark.

There's also a fort built by Daniel Boone.
    Who I hear... loved him some chicken legs

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91I16Y20130219

Millions of birds have descended on a small Kentucky city this winter.
    All hoping to catch a glimpse of Bigfunguy as he makes the trek up from Atlanta to see the Reds play on Opening Day.

Flying...might have driven had I beend apprised of this and the KFC earlier!

Turn Off Ads?