Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Per Hal, Phillips and Reds agree on long term deal

Re: Per Hal, Phillips and Reds agree on long term deal

This is great news! I'm so excited for tomorrow, I'm all decked out in Reds attire today at work!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Couldn't be happier about this. This is great for both sides. I'm happy that this organization is at least trying

From John Fay's Blog:

Update: The deal is for four years with a club option for a fifth. That keeps Phillips with the Reds at least until 2011 and probably till 2012. I don't have the money part yet.

Quote Originally Posted by XU Lou View Post
    From John Fay's Blog:

Update: The deal is for four years with a club option for a fifth. That keeps Phillips with the Reds at least until 2011 and probably till 2012. I don't have the money part yet.
    I'd have waited another year to do this, but if we were gonna do it that's exactly the length I'd have picked. Four years plus a team option. I'll wait til the money is announced to judge the trade. Now let's all hope that the 2007 version of BP is here to stay.

27 mill, but if they trade him it raises it to roughly 43 million, per reds.com

Senor Votto

I love that we don't have to worry about losing Phillips for the next 4 years. I really hope he stays in Cincy the majority of his long MLB career that he has ahead of him. Once he learns to take a walk and hit right handed pitching he will be one of the top players in baseball, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    27 mill, but if they trade him it raises it to roughly 43 million, per reds.com
    I just looked that up.

Does that mean the option year is $16.25 Million?

i sure hope dunn isnt next.. let him walk if you cant get anything for a trade for him..

We need Dunn at a reasonable price. If not then signing Dunn hurts us more than it helps. No matter how much you need his bat there is a limit where you are paying too many dollars per run produced and need to try to get that production elsewhere. I don't pretend to know what that amount is but I hope that the management does.

I don't think money is that big of an issue with ownership. I think they are willing to pay fair market price for good players. This isn't the Linder ownership group that didn't care about wins and losses, and only about the bottom line. I'm confident that Castellini will sign Dunn to a 3-4 yr contract worth 45-60 million. If the Reds didn't want to keep Dunn, then I'm sure they wouldn't have traded Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by XU Lou View Post
    I just looked that up.

Does that mean the option year is $16.25 Million?
    That does sound a little messed up.

I think this was a just a little too much. I know everyone was saying $30 million over four years, but Brandon Phillips has only two full years under his belt and doesn't take very many walks and I'm still skeptical about his power. I was hoping for something comparable to what Troy Tulowitzki got with the Rockies.
    Last edited by AdamDunn; 02-15-2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: miss spelling

I will be waiting to hear specifics. 4 years, 27 million averages out to 6.75 million a year. It doesn't sound too bad to me. I expect in the option year there is a buy-out, when combined with his salary for the year it makes the difference between 27 and 43 million.

Tulo has had 1 season, while Phillips 3. There is the difference. Cano is a much closer comp and we'll have to see specifics to see if BPs deal was better. I think it wasn't

4 years $27M is pretty decent.

5 years $43M is HORRIBLE!!! I want to see the details on that, because the only caveat noted was that IF traded, it would guarantee the CLUB option becomes a MUTUAL option, and is $43.25.

I want to see what the Club Option for the 5th year is.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I don't think money is that big of an issue with ownership. I think they are willing to pay fair market price for good players. This isn't the Linder ownership group that didn't care about wins and losses, and only about the bottom line. I'm confident that Castellini will sign Dunn to a 3-4 yr contract worth 45-60 million. If the Reds didn't want to keep Dunn, then I'm sure they wouldn't have traded Hamilton.
    $15 mil a year?

he's at 13.5 this year with the option..

he will command at least 18 mil maybe even closer to 20 mil.. if he would stay at 13 mil or less i would say keep him but as i have stated 120000 times.. he costs way too much to keep him in a small market nl team.. if he was great at defense and had his offensive numbers then 18-20 mil a year would be completely reasonable.. but his lack of defense should put his value on the reds as trade bait.. not as a long term player..

wait til the trade deadline when a team like the tigers or indians will need a big bat.. and get a zach minor and yorman type deal to help them out.. and shore up our bullpen even more.. no one in baseball wants to give anything up for dunn.. we as a fan base either have people who have blown his value way too high.. or cut his value way too low.. I would like to think of myself as one who keeps it real.. but i know some of you will disagree with my thought that the type of contract he will demand should not be on a small market nl team..
    Last edited by Ahhhorsepoo; 02-15-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Turn Off Ads?