Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Re: Tiger Woods in serious condition after car wreck

Being a bad husband and a bad father don't (always) go hand in hand.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    By that logic, anyone who's in a marriage that winds up in divorce (aka broken home) is a pathetic father.
    Not really Mike. It depends on the circumstances that lead to the divorce. It's not always the husband (man's) fault.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I fail to see any humor in abuse, whether its dished out by a man on a woman, or a woman on a man.

Keep your hands off others, if you have any ill intentions.

And don't wield weapons either.

If tiger was getting smacked around with a golf club, that's serious, and I think he did the right thing in trying to leave an allegedly very hostile situation. Whether he feared for his life or not is irrelevant to the degree of seriousness of such acts. It shouldn't happen, to a woman, or a man.

This double standard is nonsense. Its not any more or less serious an issue depending on which gender is the aggressor, and I fail to see the humor in such circumstances, regardless of which gender is on the receiving end.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I'm sorry. I blame Elin as much as Tiger for this problem. Did she really think Tiger was going to be true to her as a professional athlete who travels the globe? Come on. . . be serious about this. I can't believe she's "shocked" or "dismayed" he cheated on her.

Every man is only as faithful as their options.
    That doesn't say much for your opinion on your fellow man. (and you blame the wife?)

That's just wacky.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Well, I know the courts generally do not consider marital infidelity as a factor in custody debates for divorce with the belief that it doesn't affect their abilities as a parent. Once again I feel the need to point out that I'm not condoning what he's done. And I'd be making these same arguments even it were Arod who I can't stand. My only contention is that I don't think this makes him the great stan some are making him to be.

By that logic, anyone who's in a marriage that winds up in divorce (aka broken home) is a pathetic father. It's just not reality. Fact is, none of us really know the first thing about their marriage. It doesn't make his actions right, but in the real world things are rarely as they appear to be from the outside. People that want to make sweeping judgements about the entire character of a person based on the fact that they can't turn down sex with beautiful women, be my guest. I'm not going to.
    I see both sides- this is a good summation. To macro's point- this sort of thing is not about just having sex with beautiful women. It's about lying about your whereabouts, secret phone calls, endangering the health of you spouse (I mean, did he wear condoms every single time?) and all the other deceptive actions that go along with this sort of thing. I mean, he used his bodyguards to get women. Normally the person being cheated is hurt by the sex, but to an even greater degree is hurt by all the lies that inherently go with it. This may be filed under "Just being a guy" to Tiger but this has enormous consequences on other people. Think about how embarrassed his kids are at school or how Elin must feel going out in public, how haunted she must be by the imges of her husband being with close to a dozen other women. She is going to do some calendar searching and find out exactly where she was during the night's in question. She's going to have nightmares, racing thoughts- I mean, anyone who has ever had this happen to them knows how awful it is. It isn't something to take lightly.

To MWM's point you don't want to demonize someone or reduce their life to just this, especially when you are dealing with such a strong temptation like sexual desire that doesn't lend itself to reason and logic. A lot of men fail here, so there is something to be said about something so powerful that it makes you throw away things that are dear to you. Even though the acts are despicable, he's human, and he deserves forgiveness and understanding, provided he sees the wrong in what he does.

I hope the Woods' come to a resolution that can make everybody happy.

I just wish the media would stop counting women and talk more about why you don't do this sort of thing.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I fail to see any humor in abuse, whether its dished out by a man on a woman, or a woman on a man.

Keep your hands off others, if you have any ill intentions.

And don't wield weapons either.

If tiger was getting smacked around with a golf club, that's serious, and I think he did the right thing in trying to leave an allegedly very hostile situation. Whether he feared for his life or not is irrelevant to the degree of seriousness of such acts. It shouldn't happen, to a woman, or a man.

This double standard is nonsense. Its not any more or less serious an issue depending on which gender is the aggressor, and I fail to see the humor in such circumstances, regardless of which gender is on the receiving end.
    Actually, it is a more serious issue for women.

Again, domestic abuse is the number one injury for women.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-08-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

A 911 call at 2:36 this morning sent firefighters back to Woods' home, where an adult female was transported to a local hospital on advanced life support. No word on her name or any other details at this time.

http://www.wesh.com/sports/21894356/detail.html

Last edited by Eric_the_Red; 12-08-2009 at 08:26 AM.

All the action happens at 2:30 in Tiger town. This is certainly another weird twist.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Elin was seen leaving the hospital. The latest speculation is that it was her mother that was taken to the hospital, but nothing confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Not sure the broken home rules apply to billionaires, but this is a good point, albeit a bit dramatic.
    Not sure what you mean by the billionaire part, but the fact that he is one does nothing to counter the realities of growing up without both parents at home together. As for my being dramatic, perhaps "pathetic" was too strong a word, but I was just using the same term that was used in the post I quoted.

By that logic, anyone who's in a marriage that winds up in divorce (aka broken home) is a pathetic father.
    No, that's not what I said and it's not what I believe. That's why I purposely added the "...and does so for no other reason than for his own selfish pleasures" part.

GAC already said it, but divorces happen for lots of reasons, but they often happen because someone is thinking more of themself than they are of the innocent people whose lives will be negatively affected by their decisions.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I guess when Tiger told Elin he was going to play around, she thought he was talking about golf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I think I was referring more to the double standard with humor.

Perhaps if it is such a big issue and there is a case of domestic abuse, Tiger should file charges, dontcha think? Go after that woman with the golf club LOL.....
    That's a bad standard Dom, there's lots of battered women who should file charges but don't for a variety of reasons.
    I don't disagree with your overall point but you can't say well Tiger doesn't want to file charges there can't be anything that constitute abuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I'm sorry. I blame Elin as much as Tiger for this problem. Did she really think Tiger was going to be true to her as a professional athlete who travels the globe? Come on. . . be serious about this. I can't believe she's "shocked" or "dismayed" he cheated on her. ...
    You're actually blaming the wife. Unbelievable.
    ... Every man is only faithful as faithful as their options. ...
    Bull. If a guy can't stay faithful then he just shouldn't pretend that he can be. Meaning no marriage and no serious 'monogamous' relationships. But that's just me.
    ... But if I was some kind of professional athlete, especially to the standard as Tiger Woods, then I wouldn't even get married if you're going to sleep with that many women. As for Elin, it comes with the territory. ...
    Are you giving Tiger a pass and saying that his actions are excusable because he's a professional athlete? I hope not.
    ... That's why Derek Jeter is a great man. The guy gets more women being single. Stay single as long as possible if you're going to cheat. It's as simple as that.
    Derek Jeter is a great man because of what Tiger did? Wow DTCromer, that post of yours is a real head scratcher.

I haven't been keeping up with the daily updates and reading this thread. In fact I haven't read that much of this thread and, I think, my only previous post in this thread was of the humorous type (back on page 15). I just don't get into this kind of stuff that much. So, I didn't know until this morning that apparently there are 7-9 mistresses now. The guy was, arguably, the king of the sports world and now he's become the butt of jokes and scorn. It's sad that he's fallen so far, as far as the public perception of him, in a relatively short amount of time. When's the last time a big athlete became someone for people to root against so quickly?

Hopefully the mother is ok and the family makes it through this although it sounds like that might be mission impossible now.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I think I was referring more to the double standard with humor.

Perhaps if it is such a big issue and there is a case of domestic abuse, Tiger should file charges, dontcha think? Go after that woman with the golf club LOL.....
    Assuming for the moment that she did assault him, which we don't know.

In court, her defense would have to include airing out the extenuating circumstances that led her to commit assault. I imagine he fears having his affair dirty laundry subject to cross-examination more than he feels a need to see justice done for the assault. Hence the lack of cooperation.

FWIW, I don't think it's funny that his wife may have assaulted him. I agree wholeheartedly with the laws that say that one spouse or the other must be jailed whenever there is domestic assault. I question whether the police gave him a pass on investigating whether assault occurred and the quip from elsewhere that I posted is right in line with my view on that inconsistency.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 12-08-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    /r/reds

It's about lying about your whereabouts, secret phone calls, endangering the health of you spouse (I mean, did he wear condoms every single time?) and all the other deceptive actions that go along with this sort of thing. I mean, he used his bodyguards to get women. Normally the person being cheated is hurt by the sex, but to an even greater degree is hurt by all the lies that inherently go with it.
    I get all of that, but it all revolves around his being consumed by sex with beautiful women. That's the driver of all of that. Maybe he's an addict. It's not dissimilar to someone with any kind of addiction. There is a lot of things that go into keeping it up that the person would not normally do were it not for the addiction.

I don't doubt that a piece of it is Tiger thinking he's indestructable and above getting caught. So it's not like I don't think this taints my image somewhat of his character. But I also don't think a habit like the one he has means that he's not capable of living the rest of his life with integrity. I just always come back to not defining a person by their shortcomings.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?