Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't feel sorry for Dunn or Junior or any of these players, ever...

Don't feel sorry for Dunn or Junior or any of these players, ever...

Next time you look at your paycheck and realize how little you make compared to these guys, there's no reason to feel sorry for any of them.

If you've never read it, here's the Major League Baseball and Player's Associations' current contract:

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

The daily per diem is as much as many people make and it has nothing to do with their salaries.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Don't feel sorry for Dunn or Junior or any of these players, ever...

Right. They derserve NO love from the fans or media. It's something they should have to earn and maintain.
    Last edited by Chip R; 07-29-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: masked profanity

$85.00 per day food allowance? $595.00 per week just for food? Unreal.

These guys really are spoiled primadonnas.

In nearly every profession the best at what they do get pampered, this is nothing new.

I don't feel sorry for Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. I feel sorry for those who don't appreciate their ability because of jealousy, anger, bitterness, etc.

Although I agree that current baseball players are spoiled, the only thing to keep in mind is that these aren’t exactly "normal" careers. Unlike a desk job where there is very little risk of serious long term injury, one bean ball to the head and you could easily wind up as vegetable. A demotion or other career ending injury could happen at any time, and as a whole the career is quite a bit shorter than a normal career. And in the end they have the ability to hit a ball 400 feet or pitch 95 miles an hour; we don’t. Sigh, what I would give for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Plus they get a fat spread of food and beverages in the clubhouse before and after games.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Plus they get a fat spread of food and beverages in the clubhouse before and after games.
    Yes, but they have to pay for that. The spread comes out of their clubhouse dues.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Yes, but they have to pay for that. The spread comes out of their clubhouse dues.
    Something I did not know.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Next time you look at your paycheck and realize how little you make compared to these guys, there's no reason to feel sorry for any of them.

If you've never read it, here's the Major League Baseball and Player's Associations' current contract:

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

The daily per diem is as much as many people make and it has nothing to do with their salaries.
    I don't know of anybody on here that feels sorry for anybody on the Reds. If we choose to defend certain players against other people's bashing it doesn't mean we feel sorry for them, we have a differing opinion. And some of us might realize that just because they may make 10 million, they are still human just like us, they are paid for their exceptional baseball talent, not their exceptional skill to act as if they wear a coat of armor and nothing can ever get to them or phase them.

I may also be misunderstanding the point you are trying to make, with the heave of bashing during the recent losing streak it makes it hard to see what is just a point being made or info tossed out for us to read for fun, or what is entailed to more ripping on the players.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I don't see the point of this thread. We all know MLB players are overpaid. I also know that just about everyone here would switch careers with them if we could - sympathy or no sympathy from message board commandos.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

These guys really are spoiled primadonnas.
    I am actually slightly surprised with how low that per diem is. These guys stay at the nicest hotels in each city, and those restaurants are pretty expensive at those hotels. If you look at your weekly grocery bill, then there is no doubt this looks extremely expensive. But if you ever travel for work, you know how quickly it adds up. When I first started traveling for work I had a $49 per diem, the first few trips I didn't know what to do with all of it. Well after a few trips I figured it out.

I was actually quite surprised they have a per diem at all. But that MLB Player Union has some smart cookies.

$85 is not that much, in fact it's probably pretty low compared to a lot of companies that have employees traveling.

Not sure why you want to compare yourself to a multi-BILLION dollar company that really only employs about 1000 highly skilled employees. There's WAY more bigger companies that make this much money, and certainly millions of individuals who make WAY more than MLB baseball players do in the world.

Just because you have quick access to see them, doesn't make them unique.

They are entertainers and are paid as such.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I don't usually feel sorry for any of them anyways... unless it's somethign rare
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post

They are entertainers and are paid as such.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Exactly. I don't have a lot of sympathy for Britney Spears either.

Turn Off Ads?