Turn Off Ads?

Thread: FA Solution: Eric Chavez?

FA Solution: Eric Chavez?

After reading that Eric Chavez plans to play next year, I started thinking that he might be part of the solution to the Reds' problems in 2013.

He still plays an acceptable third base and bats left-handed. In 2012 he hit .298 / .365 / .543 for a .908 OPS against RHP, and for his career he has a .869 OPS against righties. While Rolen has never had huge platoon splits, he still has hit LHP slightly better in his career. Both guys are older and have been injury-prone in the past, but for Chavez at least, it looks like his injury problems are behind him. It would be a roll of the dice, but I feel like these two could form a productive platoon at the hot corner. This assumes that Rolen returns for 2013, of course.

If I were Jocketty, I'd pursue this option assuming the Reds aren't able to re-sign Ludwick or acquire another big bat to play LF and hit cleanup. Frazier would slot in as the full time LF and Jocketty could pursue a cheaper option (payroll wise) to play CF and hit leadoff.

The lineup:

CF - Fowler / Crisp / Victorino (S)
    2B - Phillips (R)
    1B - Votto (L)
    RF - Bruce (L)
    LF - Frazier (R)
    3B - Rolen / Chavez (R / L)
    SS - Cozart (R)
    CA - Hanigan (R)

What are your thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: FA Solution: Eric Chavez?

Chavez isn't a bad idea at all but I think having two one-dimensional, aging third basemen on the roster might be one too many. I'm not even sure the teams need one. I would mind seeing him spell Frazier vs. righties and as a nice lefty hitter off the bench, but with the news that ARod might be out until mid-summer, and other teams in the AL needing this type of player, I think he'll get a decent deal and will stay in a league where he can occasionally DH.

Nice thinking outside the box. I think it's a reasonable idea. Others may bash the idea (some just bash any idea), but you know there just aren't any perfect options - and your thought might work. I think it's certainly worthy of intelligent discussion weighing the the pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Chavez isn't a bad idea at all but I think having two one-dimensional, aging third basemen on the roster might be one too many. I'm not even sure the teams need one. I would mind seeing him spell Frazier vs. righties and as a nice lefty hitter off the bench, but with the news that ARod might be out until mid-summer, and other teams in the AL needing this type of player, I think he'll get a decent deal and will stay in a league where he can occasionally DH.
    Whats the difference between Eric Chavez whose 34, and Brandon Phillips who turns 32 in June?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    Whats the difference between Eric Chavez whose 34, and Brandon Phillips who turns 32 in June?
    Two years and about 30 trips to the disabled list.

He wouldn't be a bad signing but, IMO, is one you make much later in free agency

Turn Off Ads?