Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ballot announced

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ballot announced

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    This is the true crux of the problem with the selection process, IMO.

Save for "Heart Luck Woman" -- The only KISS song that I'll go out of my way to listen too -- I'm not particularly a KISS fan, but there's no denying that they had a much larger impact on the popular music world -- let's face it, it isn't really a "Rock And Roll" Hall Of Fame any more -- than several previously inducted acts. I can also state the same thing about acts that have been yet to even be nominated, such as ELO, Iron Maiden and Jethro Tull, to name a few.

The opinion of Critics plays way too large of a role in the selection process. And just to show that I'm not playing favorites, I'm perfectly fine with deserving, influential artists from genres that I really cannot stand (read: Beastie Boys and LL Cool J) inducted well ahead of critically acclaimed bands that I like (read: Replacements and Pixies) that just don't have a heck of a lot of material on their resume and/or didn't really impact the music world with a small catalog in such a short period of time the way that Nirvana did, which is virtually impossible to accomplish, I know.
    Alice Cooper is there- and for me, ELO is about fifty times better.

The problem with the Hall of Fame is that a lot of people are there for influence. Eh, you know, let's make it about the catalog. Alice Cooper may have been the first theater horror guy...but he isn't someone I can sit down and listen to for very long. Some of you guys who are a bit older than I am can set me straight on that, but I listen to the radio for hours a day and never hear a single song of his.

The Replacements- I like them...they could get in because people want to feel cool voting for them...but it's another band who 9 out of 10 people couldn't name one song. Maybe you can make that case that for what they were in alternative music they were pretty big....I just don't see it. But I hate Radiohead, so what do I know.

2. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (12-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Alice Cooper is there- and for me, ELO is about fifty times better.

The problem with the Hall of Fame is that a lot of people are there for influence. Eh, you know, let's make it about the catalog.
    Alice Cooper may have been the first theater horror guy...but he isn't someone I can sit down and listen to for very long. Some of you guys who are a bit older than I am can set me straight on that, but I listen to the radio for hours a day and never hear a single song of his.

The Replacements- I like them...they could get in because people want to feel cool voting for them...but it's another band who 9 out of 10 people couldn't name one song. Maybe you can make that case that for what they were in alternative music they were pretty big....I just don't see it. But I hate Radiohead, so what do I know.
    Again, this where the role of critics in the selection process comes into play.

Unfortunately, Alice Cooper -- and this ties in with our discussions on the AOR thread -- is another victim of shrinking Classic Rock radio playlists. OTTOMH, I can name six or seven of his former AOR hits, including some really good ballads, that are ignored today because the suits decided that "School's Out", "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and "Eighteen" are the only tracks that listeners want to hear.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

5. Likes:

Dave Collins (11-12-2013)

I still don't get why Chic has been nominated 8 times.
    Simply judging by genre/era, The Spinners and Earth, Wind and Fire, are, far, far more deserving than Chic.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Simply judging by genre/era, The Spinners and Earth, Wind and Fire, are, far, far more deserving than Chic.
    I've been to maybe 500 concerts, the Riverfront Coliseum concert I saw of EW&F in 77 was still one of the very best

And if you're judging by just songs I would agree - but I believe they are getting nominated not only because of the influence but also the collaborations Nile and Bernard have had over the years.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    How is Cat Stevens not in?

Because he became muslim and changed his name to Yusuf Islam, that is exactly why.

The sheer length of KISS' career and album sales alone SHOULD get them in. The Hall has always had it out for these guys, I guess they are perceived as a gimmick. I think Gene Simmons is one arrogant SOB but he is one heck of a business person and has become super wealthy as a result.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    Because he became muslim and changed his name to Yusuf Islam, that is exactly why.

The sheer length of KISS' career and album sales alone SHOULD get them in. The Hall has always had it out for these guys, I guess they are perceived as a gimmick. I think Gene Simmons is one arrogant SOB but he is one heck of a business person and has become super wealthy as a result.
    Or it could be he had a handful of good albums (one great) and quit the business.

But you're probably more right than me (IE see Heart)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Again, this where the role of critics in the selection process comes into play.

Unfortunately, Alice Cooper -- and this ties in with our discussions on the AOR thread -- is another victim of shrinking Classic Rock radio playlists. OTTOMH, I can name six or seven of his former AOR hits, including some really good ballads, that are ignored today because the suits decided that "School's Out", "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and "Eighteen" are the only tracks that listeners want to hear.
    Interesting.

I did spend an entire evening sampling songs on Itunes....could not get into Mr. Cooper's stuff.

I was just a little guy when he would have been at his peak....so I can't speak to his affect on the era....good to know there is some stuff there worth listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    That could be it. Or could it be that he is perceived as more of a pop singer than a rock-n-roller? Who would be similar artists that were already inducted? Percy Sledge? James Taylor? Solomon Burke? Dion? Donovan? Leonard Cohen? Plus he quit at the height of his success and then didn't come back for 17 more years.

I know there are a lot of pop, folk, blues, jazz and country artists in the RRHOF but I hear his music and I don't think Rock n Roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    And if you're judging by just songs I would agree - but I believe they are getting nominated not only because of the influence but also the collaborations Nile and Bernard have had over the years.
    But then why not take that into consideration for Jeff Lynne and ELO?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

14. Likes:

KittyDuran (10-18-2013),marcshoe (10-19-2013),Revering4Blue (10-18-2013),westofyou (10-18-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (12-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That could be it. Or could it be that he is perceived as more of a pop singer than a rock-n-roller? Who would be similar artists that were already inducted? Percy Sledge? James Taylor? Solomon Burke? Dion? Donovan? Leonard Cohen? Plus he quit at the height of his success and then didn't come back for 17 more years.

I know there are a lot of pop, folk, blues, jazz and country artists in the RRHOF but I hear his music and I don't think Rock n Roll.
    Donovan hell yes

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

James Taylor is, IMO, a really good comparison. Just as James Taylor's music was a staple on FM Rock radio throughout his heyday, Cat Stevens was, as well.

Of course, the definition of "Rock" continues to vary depending upon the individual listener, regardless of FM Rock radio. Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Interesting.

I did spend an entire evening sampling songs on Itunes....could not get into Mr. Cooper's stuff.

I was just a little guy when he would have been at his peak....so I can't speak to his affect on the era....good to know there is some stuff there worth listening to.
    Believe it or not, so was I (Elementary School during the mid-to-late 70's). In most cases, it wasn't until listening to AOR stations years later that I realized it was, indeed, Alice Cooper's music that I had been listening to. Having said that, I also cannot definitively speak about his affect on the era, at least at his peak, but I have to believe, and hope, that it was larger than Morris Albert or The Starland Vocal Band.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-18-2013 at 10:13 PM.

18. Likes:

Dom Heffner (10-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Donovan hell yes
    Crazy story:

Saw Cheap Trick do a tribute to Sgt. Pepper's 50th anniversary at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago. Their guitar tech was Donovan.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I saw Cheap Trick about ten years ago in a venue that holds about 1800 people, and the place was maybe 60% full, which made me a little sad. They put on a great show and Zander still had those insane pipes. I assumed they were already in the R&R HOF; it's just weird that they're not.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?