Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Mike Stanton

Re: Reds sign Mike Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This is ok. And if its for $1 Million as reported (I don't believe that) its good. I hope it means Cormier can be traded for something useful. I just don't understand the need for a LH reliever. Its the one thing the Reds had in abundance with Bray, Cormier, Shack, and possibly Pelland, Claussen and Coutlangus. I wonder if they are adding a LH for the middle innings in anticipation of Bray becoming closer.

Stanton isn't a huge upgrade over those guys these days.
    Bray's long-ball-giving-up tendencies preclude closer to my mind. But I'm intriqued about giving him some starts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I just keep seeing 2 years with an option
    Stanton said in the San Fran newspaper that the reason he decided to sign with CIN instead of resigning with SanFran was because CIN offered him two guaranteed years and SanFran would only give him one guaranteed with an option. So, this contract is definitely 2 guaranteed years with an option.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    ITs a goog signing if he isnt used for the closer role.
    Hal McCoy, of the Dayton Daily News, reports recently signed Cincinnati Reds RP Mike Stanton will be expected to fill the closer's role next season. Stanton was 4-2 with a 3.09 ERA and eight saves for the San Francisco Giants last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    Hal McCoy, of the Dayton Daily News, reports recently signed Cincinnati Reds RP Mike Stanton will be expected to fill the closer's role next season. Stanton was 4-2 with a 3.09 ERA and eight saves for the San Francisco Giants last season.
    I hope Hal is the only one that expects Stanton to close.

Per ESPN:

Stanton agreed to a two-year deal for $5.5 million, with a vesting option for a third year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2669701

Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    Per ESPN:

Stanton agreed to a two-year deal for $5.5 million, with a vesting option for a third year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2669701
    Terrible deal.

They must really not give a hoot about money. Because that's how they're spending it.

Guy has a mediocre season in two very pitcher-friendly parks last season. Hooray.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Terrible deal.

They must really not give a hoot about money. Because that's how they're spending it.

Guy has a mediocre season in two very pitcher-friendly parks last season. Hooray.
    With all due respect, I think you are totally wrong. I wasn't aware that having an ERA of 3.99 was considered mediocre. In today's MLB I consider that damn good. Even if he was mediocre, at least the Reds are willing to spend money now.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Even if he was mediocre, at least the Reds are willing to spend money now.
    Now that's some unassailable logic.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Yet you bemoan the club's penny-pinching in the LaRue deal. Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Yet you bemoan the club's penny-pinching in the LaRue deal. Curious.
    Nah. Just an observation. As long as they don't ***** about money and say stuff like, "well, we tapped out in signing our bullpen, so we can't pursue a starter," I don't care what they do with their money. I still think picking up Stanton, regardless of money, was a terrible idea, but when you add the possible component of a move like this precluding other moves it becomes almost unbearable.

I still think picking up Stanton, regardless of money, was a terrible idea, but when you add the possible component of a move like this precluding other moves it becomes almost unbearable.
    The slough off a contract and that proves they're cheap. They add a contract and that proves......they're cheap. Wow, tough crowd.

Now that's some unassailable logic.
    Then explain why it was terrible. I would like to know. Because his ERA was better than a lot of pitchers on the Reds staff. It was just .30 worse than Jason Isringhausen, who is one of the best releivers in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The slough off a contract and that proves they're cheap. They add a contract and that proves......they're cheap. Wow, tough crowd.
    No contradiction in what I'm saying, if you really cared to read my points.

As long as they don't complain about their spending, I don't obviously mind the size of the contracts. But experience tells me we fans will be chastised 8-10 months from now by John Allen, Wayne, & co. for not coming out to see his sub-.500 ballclub lose.

The comment about "terrible move" (though the notion that Mike Stanton would cost anyone $2.75 million is breathtakingly horrible) had very little to do with the dollars per se, but with Stanton as the recipient of those dollars.

Then explain why it was terrible. I would like to know. Because his ERA was better than a lot of pitchers on the Reds staff. It was just .30 worse than Jason Isringhausen, who is one of the best releivers in the league.
    He's 40 years old.

He was mediocre last season.

He was mediocre last season in parks that are highly friendly to pitchers (PacBell & RFK).

We have fourteen soft-tossing lefties already on the roster, so it doesn't change the looks opposing teams will get from our bullpen.

ERA is no way to judge relief pitchers.

Turn Off Ads?