Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Ludwick for Heisey (Discussion on ORG)

Thoughts on Ludwick for Heisey (Discussion on ORG)

Honestly, I'd do it. Heisey is a good 5th OF, but he's still not shown to be the LF of the future. Ludwick immediately can slide right into the #4/#5 hole and will easily OPS +.800 at GABP..not to mention he will want to exact some revenge on St Louis for giving him up for Jake effing Westbrook.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thoughts on Ludwick for Heisey (Discussion on ORG)

Why would they want Heisey, they are shipping out Ludwick to make room for young outfielders?

Quote Originally Posted by mrherd05 View Post
    Why would they want Heisey, they are shipping out Ludwick to make room for young outfielders?
    No idea, that's apparently what Hal McCoy is saying

I don't see how or why the Padres would do Ludwick for Heisey straight up. There would, IMO, have to be another young player involved for San Diego to even consider the deal.

That and the fact that Ludwick is a free agent after the season leads me to believe that it might not be the best deal unless they could lock Ludwick up after 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    I don't see how or why the Padres would do Ludwick for Heisey straight up. There would, IMO, have to be another young player involved for San Diego to even consider the deal.

That and the fact that Ludwick is a free agent after the season leads me to believe that it might not be the best deal unless they could lock Ludwick up after 2011.
    He's only due $4.4 mil for the rest of the year...I think if SD is willing to eat the salary they can get a fringe prospect for him, but he is 32 and approaching free agency

to me it's quite easy to see why SD would do this move. They dump salary and avoid getting nothing when he would leave via FA and they get a very good young serviceable OF in return. It's Cincy that would be making the dumb move, but since Dusty refuses to recognize Heisey as anything more then the 25th man on the roster, by adding Ryan for the rest of the season it would 'MAYBE' add someone who can hit say 5th and give us some more run production since Gomes ain't gonna do that.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    to me it's quite easy to see why SD would do this move. They dump salary and avoid getting nothing when he would leave via FA and they get a very good young serviceable OF in return. It's Cincy that would be making the dumb move, but since Dusty refuses to recognize Heisey as anything more then the 25th man on the roster, by adding Ryan for the rest of the season it would 'MAYBE' add someone who can hit say 5th and give us some more run production since Gomes ain't gonna do that.
    Plain and simple you and a lot of others over value Heisey at this point in his career. I'll agree that watching Gomes and Lewis struggle is head banging at times but that doesn't automatically make Heisey a better player. His performance to date reveals that at this time he is a complimentary player that still needs to work his way into an everyday role.

The deal makes sense if the Padres are simply looking to dump salary. But, if we are talking about value based on the player's performance, a Heisey-Ludwick trade is a win for the Reds.

Plain and simple you and a lot of others over value Heisey at this point in his career. I'll agree that watching Gomes and Lewis struggle is head banging at times but that doesn't automatically make Heisey a better player. His performance to date reveals that at this time he is a complimentary player that still needs to work his way into an everyday role.

The deal makes sense if the Padres are simply looking to dump salary. But, if we are talking about value based on the player's performance, a Heisey-Ludwick trade is a win for the Reds.
    Exactly...Heisey's numbers, both against lefties and as a starter are not good at all

You are right we don't know what Heisey can or can't do, but right now I don't see Ludwick as being leaps and bounds better then Heisey. I think it pretty clear that in the field Heisey is better and given how big the SD outfield is I can see where they would prefer a better glove out there. Also if you look at the monies, you probably are getting a overall better "bang' for your buck with Heisey overall, problem is the Reds are not maximizing him at all.

You are right we don't know what Heisey can or can't do, but right now I don't see Ludwick as being leaps and bounds better then Heisey. I think it pretty clear that in the field Heisey is better and given how big the SD outfield is I can see where they would prefer a better glove out there. Also if you look at the monies, you probably are getting a overall better "bang' for your buck with Heisey overall, problem is the Reds are not maximizing him at all.
    Ludwick is leaps and bounds better than Heisey...because Dusty refuses to play him. If you don't play you have zero productivity.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

We already have a thread on this. Can a mod please combine the two threads?

Thanks.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=89858&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    We already have a thread on this. Can a mod please combine the two threads?

Thanks.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=89858&page=3
    My bad...only looked at thread titles, not content inside

Hal McCoy should move to St. Louis. There is no way I would trade Heisey for Ludwick. Heisey just needs to play everyday. We need a shortstop that can hit and a true #1 pitcher much worse than we need Ludwick.

He's probably better than Heisey. "Leaps and bounds better", I don't know. But the key to this whole thing is obviously Dusty and the Reds do not feel Heisey is even leaps and bounds better than Gomes and Lewis. This could be very faulty reasoning on the Reds part. But if they're even close to right, then Ludwick for Heisey would be flat out larceny on the part of the Reds. Because I would certainly say Ludwick is "leaps and bounds better" than Gomes and Lewis.

I do a deal like this if I'm the Reds. I mean I know Ludwick isn't a particularly young player anymore but he's not done yet either. And as was mentioned over at the ORG, he's OPSing over .800 away from Petco. Put him in a hitter's park and get him away from the NL West parks like San Diego's, San Francisco's, and Dodger Stadium, and he should pay dividends.

I mean there's very little downside here. You can think Heisey is the greatest player in the world as a fan here, but if the Reds aren't going to play him, what have you lost? You've lost your best pinch hitting power bat off the bench, and that is a bit of a loss. You've lost a decent glove man. But the bottom line is you're getting next to nothing out of Gomes and Lewis and you're not playing Heisey. I mean if that' literally all it took, the Reds should be all over this. You're getting somebody who's definitely better than Lewis and Gomes and you're giving up somebody who you're not giving many starts to anyway.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Ludwick is not "leaps and bounds" better than Heisey. The only reason Heisey's numbers aren't better is he can't get into ANY kind of rhythm with his confusing role on this team. You gotta give him the regular ABs to know if he can do it or not.

To me, they're the same player.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?