Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: NFL Officiating

Re: NFL Officiating

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I think it will be pretty funny when the strike is over and we realize that the real refs are pretty crappy too. I'd say the NFL is nearly impossible to officiate well.
    It is but at least the real refs will know how to run off 10 seconds and count to 3 time outs

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I understand your point that there were horrendous calls that went both ways but in the end Seattle only "earned" 7 points. I think with decent officiating Aaron Rodgers and the Pack would have scored more than 7 pts.
    A horrible defensive PI call extended the Packers go ahead touchdown drive...and I think it was on 3rd down. I disagree about Rodgers putting up more points with the real refs, their problem was they couldn't block Seattle's D-Line. There were tons of holding calls GB got away with as well.

In the end I think the officiating was so bad that it's almost impossible to figure out. I just think that by looking at the whole game I feel like Seattle played better.

It is but at least the real refs will know how to run off 10 seconds and count to 3 time outs
    Exactly. Arguing that the real refs aren't perfect is a huge strawman, nobody is claiming they are. But they are the best we are going to get, and these replacements have been awful.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

It now looks as if this thing will get settled and we'll have the real officials back in time for Sunday's games and maybe even in time for tomorrow night's game.

Anyone who's been watching ESPN this past week knows that their "insiders" led by Adam Schefter have been saying that once it's settled, they'll need a week or more to get back on the field due to training issues, physicals, travel etc.

Well now it seems that those insiders didn't know what the heck they were talking about. It seems that the physicals have already been done as has the training on the new rules and all, hence the new projections of getting them on the field immediately.

Chalk another one up for ESPN...

I completely understand what you're saying and I hope the real refs get back soon too. But I'm just saying don't forget real refs once blew a coin toss, real refs said that Tom Brady threw an incomplete pass against Oakland and a real ref said that Justin Smith sacked someone too hard...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I hope the broadcasters and people at espn, nbc etc. keep pointing out the mistakes when the real refs return like they made sure to do with the the replacement refs.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    I hope the broadcasters and people at espn, nbc etc. keep pointing out the mistakes when the real refs return like they made sure to do with the the replacement refs.
    I'm sure they will. They certainly haven't been shy about doing it in the past.

No one believes the regular officials were or will be perfect. But they are the best that there are and the players and the fans deserve to have the best officials out there. They are going to make mistakes. They may even cost a team a game because of a bad call. But at least they will be the best they have out there and not incompetents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I was kinda looking forward to another week of the replacement refs. Some more defensive holding "on 93 red", "5 year penalty" for 12 men in the huddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm sure they will. They certainly haven't been shy about doing it in the past.

No one believes the regular officials were or will be perfect. But they are the best that there are and the players and the fans deserve to have the best officials out there. They are going to make mistakes. They may even cost a team a game because of a bad call. But at least they will be the best they have out there and not incompetents.
    Whats the odds that the Raiders have more penalties this week with the "real" officials than they had the previous 3 weeks combined (14 for those who are wondering).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I completely understand what you're saying and I hope the real refs get back soon too. But I'm just saying don't forget real refs once blew a coin toss, real refs said that Tom Brady threw an incomplete pass against Oakland and a real ref said that Justin Smith sacked someone too hard...
    Real refs make bad calls indeed. We all understand that.

The Tom Brady call was correct according to the rulebook. If they'd called it a fumble it would have gone against the "Tuck Rule".

Real refs make bad calls indeed. We all understand that.

The Tom Brady call was correct according to the rulebook. If they'd called it a fumble it would have gone against the "Tuck Rule".
    It may have been the correct call, but that doesn't mean it's not a bad rule.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It may have been the correct call, but that doesn't mean it's not a bad rule.
    What would be bad is if the officials only enforced rules that they deemed to be good ones. There are a lot of NFL rules that I don't agree with but that's another discussion. It's not bad officiating if they enforce the rulebook

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Those things happened over a period of years.

We've already had the same number of egregious errors this season, over the course of 3 games.

The official that threw up his hands signaling TD still says that his call was right:

Easley said Packers safety M.D. Jennings never had independent possession of the ball. He said it was clearly a case of simultaneous possession with Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate, which means the reception goes to the offensive player. "You have to not only have the ball but have either 2 feet or a body part on the ground, and that never happened," Easley said, referencing Jennings’ interception attempt.

"Put any other official who knows the rules and they would make the same call," he added.

Easley, a banker from Santa Maria, Calif., who officiates junior college games in southern California, defended the quality of work by the replacement refs.

"We did a damn good job ... for the most part," he said.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...ll-golden-tate

If that's the way you see it old man, I say good riddance

The official that threw up his hands signaling TD still says that his call was right:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...ll-golden-tate

If that's the way you see it old man, I say good riddance
    Not willing to admit they were wrong? sounds like he would fit right in with the regular refs.

Turn Off Ads?