Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 6/23/12 - Reds vs. Twins

Re: 6/23/12 - Reds vs. Twins

BTW, Matt Capps, former closer, is the pitcher and he fans Cozart to end the inning. Reds up by six going to the ninth. Let's hold on here, get the shutout, and win tomorrow. Let's get on another roll before that West Coast trip coming up.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    No it doesn't.

The Reds team OBP against lefties is two percentage points off the NL lead. .335.

The Reds team OBP against righties is eleventh in the league, well below league average, and at .311.

Look, I'm tired of this argument, it is as clear as a bell. The Reds destroy lefty pitching. They are average against righty pitching. They play against righties three quarters of the time. Playing in GABP and the NL Central the Reds should be above average against all pitching.

This is absolutely crystal clear from the statistics, and it makes sense since the team only has three lefty hitters, including Willie Harris, which is a highly unusual lefty-righty mix.

Reds up by six now, I wanted a ten run win, so I'm still into it. Cairo up now with one out, two on. Cairo flies to center, two outs now.
    The sample size against lefties is pretty small IIRC. And we could always use MORE (which was my point). I want improvements anywhere I can get them.

The thing to remember about all these ideas people have been posting about who we should get...these guys will cost us players too. The idea is to improve in areas without hurting ourselves in others. Not as easy as many make it out to be.

I'm not against us adding a big lefty bat or even some lefty obp slap hitters. I just don't think it's as dire a need as you're making it out to be.

Simon pitching. Quickly one down (pop out to Bruce).

Mauer grounds out to Phillips. Textbook fundamentals there from Brandon. Exactly how I was taught as a little-leaguer.

We're good again!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

BOOM! And this one belongs to the Reds!!! K to end it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    The sample size against lefties is pretty small IIRC. And we could always use MORE (which was my point). I want improvements anywhere I can get them.

The thing to remember about all these ideas people have been posting about who we should get...these guys will cost us players too. The idea is to improve in areas without hurting ourselves in others. Not as easy as many make it out to be.

I'm not against us adding a big lefty bat or even some lefty obp slap hitters. I just don't think it's as dire a need as you're making it out to be.
    Extend the sample size to 2011, with the similar Reds team. OBP against lefties was first in the NL at .349. OBP against righties was 8th in the league at .319, a full thirty points lower.

This is really inarguable.

And by the way, and I don't know how many times to say it, I do not think the Reds need a "big lefty bat." I have consistently said just the opposite.

Get a platoon OBP lefty hitter, doesn't need power, and lefty bench man. That's all they need IMO.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

...and this one belongs to the REDS!!!!

Hopefully, this is the beginning of a long win streak!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Simon looked good there in the ninth. Good win, but with Cueto you expect it. Let's win with Leake tomorrow. Mike was excellent last time out.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

Reds were first agaisnt LHP in 2011 as well and middle of the pack against RHP with Alonso in the mid .900s and Francisco at .820 against RHP. Now even those guys are gone. They've replaced those two with lefy killers Ludwick and Frazier. A team that was already out of balance in 2011 is even moreso with the roster changes coming into 2012.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

NM
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Extend the sample size to 2011, with the similar Reds team. OBP against lefties was first in the NL at .349. OBP against righties was 8th in the league at .319, a full thirty points lower.

This is really inarguable.

And by the way, and I don't know how many times to say it, I do not think the Reds need a "big lefty bat." I have consistently said just the opposite.

Get a platoon OBP lefty hitter, doesn't need power, and lefty bench man. That's all they need IMO.
    I know KC. I'm not disagreeing with you really. I've seen and understood your point. I always have. But where you are looking at the splits left vs right, I'm looking at the overall picture.

Overall, the Reds are...
    9th in the NL in batting average.
    10th in the NL in OBP.
    3rd in the NL in SLG.
    4th in the NL in OPS.

I completely agree with you that we could and should look for improvement to our BA/OBP skills and players. But the bottom line in baseball is to score runs and to limit the opposition from scoring runs. Right? How do we fare on that front?
    8th in the NL in runs scored.
    4th in the NL in fewest runs allowed.

And that adds up to a first place club and the 3rd best record in the NL.

As I said, I don't think the situation is a dire as you seem to be making it out to be. But if Walt can manage to get some more left handed hitters without hurting the club...I'm not going to complain. I'm more in your camp than you'd think. I cherish batting average players. I love the Rod Carew's, Wade Boggs', Pete Rose's, Tony Gwynn's of the world more than the mashers. I love players who can handle the bat regardless of power. It's one of the many reasons I love Hanigan as a player. But that might open up a whole new can of worms...so I'll just let this drop for now. :O)

~edit~ And the big lefty bat comment...I mistyped that. I meant big righty bat. Although I don't think that's a big need either.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-23-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Cueto is truly a stopper. We must keep winning and that is the bottom line. You need a cushion before heading west.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

My wife & I were at game for the 1st three innings. We went Paintsmered's wedding, then changed & went the game for a bit. We then headed out to the reception, changing back into our dress clothes at a gas station. All the action happened after we left. BTW, did they say why there were no fireworks during the game?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Congratulations to Brandon Phillips, who has passed newly-inducted Reds Hall-Of-Famer Dan Driessen for 16th place on the Reds' all-time home run list!

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds 100-Home Run Club
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Adam Dunn - 270
    5. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    6. George Foster - 244
    7. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 210
    8. Eric Davis - 203
    9. Barry Larkin - 198
    10. Vada Pinson - 186
    11. Wally Post - 172
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    16. Brandon Phillips - 134
    17. Dan Driessen - 133
    18. Joey Votto - 132
    19. Reggie Sanders - 125
    20. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    21. Sean Casey - 118
    22. Jay Bruce - 116
    23. Frank McCormick - 110
    24. Dave Parker - 107
    25. Chris Sabo - 104
    26. Dave Concepcion - 101
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?