Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strangest Thing You've Eaten

Strangest Thing You've Eaten

One time, after a few longnecks and a dare from my two older brothers, I ate a live cicada. I still don't think I've gotten the taste out of my mouth. Still, I don't think that holds a candle to these guys.

So, what's the strangest thing you've ever eaten?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Strangest Thing You've Eaten

When I was about 12, I used to love peanut butter and Doritos sandwiches. And that was before I became a pot-head.

High five!

I once found myself eating and drinking with friends in Tokyo's Roppongi district. They brought out several dishes and there was one that looked like big bean sprouts with a chili sauce. I took a bite of that and it was like a cross between chewing gum and jello with random glassy bits. It took a good beer and a half (and we're talking the "ooki Sapporo Buraku Biru" - like a big, 24 oz. Guiness) to get it down.

When I was able to compose myself and deal more artfully with the situation, I asked what it was. It turned out to be Chinese-style Jellyfish. And, as all "uncommon" things Japanese, it's alternatively/both an aphrodisiac and a digestive aid.

Now, when some tries to pull out the "challenging" food play, I ask them if we can order natto. Natto is a fermented soybean...paste...thing that has a very sticky, gummy texture. It looks kind of like chunky peanut butter that's been in the sun too long and run a bit. It's said that half of the people in Japan love it and the other half hates it so you have a 50/50 chance to nip any weird eating experience in the bud by playing the natto card. I don't love it, but I'll suck it down if push comes to shove.

Second weirdest thing, I once saw someone order chicken sashimi in Japan. It seemed...unsafe to me.

Here is what I don't get about so called digestive aids .....

Anything from taco bell is a digestive aid.

The links not working for me, but if you really want to watch the video go to FJM...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 08-10-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Kokoretsi. It is a traditional Greek dish served on on Easter. It is made up of Chopped Intestines, sweetbreads, hearts, lungs, and/or kidneys from a lamb. Basically, you eat the good parts of the lamb the after the midnight service and then eat the rest the next day.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I'm not really adventurous. I had some fried alligator in Baton Rouge once. That's about it for me.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The links not working for me, but if really want to watch the video go to FJM...
    I just tried it and it's not working for me either.

Let's see if this one works.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    Here is what I don't get about so called digestive aids .....

Anything from taco bell is a digestive aid.
    Ain't that the truth.

Attack Cat!

This brings to mind one of my favorite websites....

Steve, Don't Eat It!

Live ants.

Of course, I was four and just wanted to see what they tasted like. They tasted movey.

My wife's cooking.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    My wife's cooking.
    It's a good thing you got that dog....now you'll have something to sleep with.

Rem

No joke, I tasted a JTM burger once. Threw it down after one bite. It's not meat. I know this is not news to many in the Redszone community but was eye opening to me 18 years ago when it occurred.

I now eat a ton of sushi, way better than JTM "meat" no matter how strange it looks at times.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

JTM is Alpo.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

In Spain I had some percebes or "goose barnacles". I didn't like it that much, but my kids loved them.

In Venezuela eating Chigüire (Capibara) or Lapa (another rodent-like mammal) isn't all that uncommon. (they're Ok). But they're not mass-produced, so you can't have it every day.

Down in Chile, they'll feed every shell, urchin or weed that they can pluck out of the sea.

Not sure what "strange" is, when you move around the definition of it changes.
    The other day we had some american neighbors over, who seemed to think that octopus and squid were exotic and strange foods.

I've never eaten a JTM (whatever that is). It sure sounds strange to me.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?