Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr. breaks hand

Re: Griffey Jr. Breaks Hand per Lance

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Remember the day-to-day knee strain last year? Yeah, me too.
    Broken bones heal pretty easily.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All dyslexics must untie!

Re: Griffey Jr. breaks hand

Has Junior been playing too much Guitar Hero II with Trey?
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Broken bones heal pretty easily.

True enough but there needs to be therapy as well since the muscles have atrophied in the cast. It's not like he is going to pick up a bat the day after he gets out of the cast and start taking BP. There could be residual pain as well all throughout the season. It could be that after a month or so, Jr.'s hand will be 100% but it could also be likely that he will be suffering after effects all season long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I'm blaiming the Nintendo Wii for sure!

Video game consoles claim their second major league victim.
    I know your making a joke but for him not to release how it happened, makes me wonder if you did not hit the nail on the head. He's a walking Titanic.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    6 weeks recovery right? So what's the big deal?
    This is Griffey and the Reds we're talking about. If they're saying 6 weeks recovery time that can only mean the doctors are discussing amputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Narron says Junior is "day to day" and available for pinch-running.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Do you think they knew about the hand when they traded for Conine? The Griffey article said he was put in a cast today but it didn't say when he broke it.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    True enough but there needs to be therapy as well since the muscles have atrophied in the cast. It's not like he is going to pick up a bat the day after he gets out of the cast and start taking BP. There could be residual pain as well all throughout the season. It could be that after a month or so, Jr.'s hand will be 100% but it could also be likely that he will be suffering after effects all season long.
    I broke my thumb when I was 15, was in a cast to my elbow for 8 weeks (I really broke it, not just some little crack in the bone). I was back to playing baseball 2 weeks after the cast came off and couldnt tell the difference.

I think this is no big deal. Griffey isnt due in spring training really for about 10-12 weeks anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I broke my thumb when I was 15, was in a cast to my elbow for 8 weeks (I really broke it, not just some little crack in the bone). I was back to playing baseball 2 weeks after the cast came off and couldnt tell the difference.

I think this is no big deal. Griffey isnt due in spring training really for about 10-12 weeks anyways.

And you were 15, not 35. You may have had an entirely different injury than Jr. does. I hope he'll be back right away but let's say he has always either hit off a tee or taken BP on a machine or from someone during the offseason. He can't do that this year. He's going to have to wait until right before ST or during it to start hitting again. Remember that slow start he got off to a couple of years ago after the hamstring surgery? 2007 could be a repeat of that since his training will be interrupted. And maybe it's a bone that won't affect his swing one iota. God knows there are a lot of bones in the hand. But we have no way of knowing that.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I hope Junior can make a speedy recovery and be ready for ST.

This is not a good start to christmas

Senor Votto

This man use to be my hero I loved watching him play. Now will we ever get to see him finish a whole season again? This is so depressing for me I want to cry.

Griffey breaks hand in accident

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
    December 22, 2006

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Ken Griffey Jr. broke his left hand in an accident at home, the latest in a series of injuries that have derailed the career of the All-Star outfielder.

Griffey's throwing hand will be in a hard cast for three weeks, then will be re-examined, Reds spokesman Rob Butcher said Friday.

Butcher said he could not say when or how the accident occurred because Griffey did not authorize any more details to be released.

General manager Wayne Krivsky wasn't sure whether Griffey will be ready for the start of spring training. The club will have a better idea when the hand is examined again in three weeks.

"It's just too early to tell," Krivsky said.

The outfielder, who turned 37 on Nov. 21, has been severely limited by injuries since he joined his hometown team before the 2000 season. He missed nearly a month early last season because of inflammation behind his right knee, and sat out 22 of the last 24 games after dislocating a toe.

Overall, the 12-time All-Star hit .252 with 27 homers and 72 RBIs in 109 games, his fourth-highest total with the Reds. He is tied for 10th on the career home run list with 563 and has two years left on his contract.

Asked if Griffey's injury would affect his offseason roster moves, Krivsky said, "It's not like we've got a game tomorrow. We're worried about getting him healed and going from there."

Griffey returned to his hometown before the 2000 season in a trade with Seattle, and hit .271 with 40 homers and 118 RBIs in 145 games. He had a sore hamstring during the season, but played through the pain and avoided the disabled list.

He went on the disabled list in 2001 after tearing a hamstring, starting his run of major injuries. He was on the disabled list twice in 2002 (torn knee tendon and hamstring), twice in 2003 (dislocated shoulder and torn ankle tendon) and twice in 2004 (two hamstring tears).

For three years in a row, he didn't play in more than 83 games in a season. He finally avoided major injury during the 2005 season, when he hit .301 with 35 homers in 128 games -- his second-highest total with Cincinnati.

The performance won him the NL comeback player of the year award. He showed up for spring training healthy this year, and was impressive during the World Baseball Classic, hitting .524 with three homers.

But he hurt his knee while catching a fly ball during batting practice at Wrigley Field last April, prompting him to go on the disabled list for the eighth time since he rejoined the Reds. When he returned a month later, the resumed his climb up baseball's homer and RBI lists.

Griffey finished the season with 563 homers, tying Reggie Jackson for 10th. His 1,608 RBIs rank 22nd on the career list, which goes back to 1920 when it became an official statistic.

When he came home to Cincinnati in February 2000, he was on pace to break Hank Aaron's home run record of 755; Griffey had been the youngest player to reach the 350-homer mark. All of the injuries have likely cost him a chance to catch Aaron.

Last edited by Degenerate39; 12-22-2006 at 06:31 PM.

For the very first time ever i now find myself saying "Get rid of Griffey". Ive defended him for 6 years of injuries, this is no longer excusable. Release him, trade him , sell him to Japan - whatever can be done , but lets move on to a new era of Reds baseball.

Im a very patient and forgiving man, but to read that he broke his hand in the offseason has me boiling with anger. If it were anyone else it wouldnt be a story - theyd be back by April. But Griffey? He will nurse that all year.

I am officialy surrendering my seat in his corner.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by realistic View Post
    Ive defended him for 6 years of injuries, this is no longer excusable.

Im a very patient and forgiving man, but to read that he broke his hand in the offseason has me boiling with anger.
    Really? I am not being sarcastic... we cannot expect players to live in plastic bubbles during the offseason. Some injuries can make fans and FO members angry:

Ron Gant: Hurt leg while riding a motorcycle.
    Aaron Boone: Hurt knee while playing hoops.
    Jeff Kent: Claims he got hurt while washing his car, but that seems to be a lie.

Of course we do not know how this happened. If he broke the hand while playing basketball or riding a motorcycle, then there is reason to be angry. If he broke the hand while slipping in the shower, tripping while going down a flight of stairs, falling down b/c he tripped over one of his kid's toys... then I cannot personally be angry at the guy. Bad things happen in the real world. They happen to "regular people" and they happen to professional athletes. If something happened as a result of a freak thing (and not while doing something that can be dangerous), then it is not fair to be angry. It is the real world... as unlucky as the real world can be sometimes.

Since the rules say that he does not have to publicly disclose the cause of the injury, then we might never know. But until we do it is not fair to be angry at the guy for living his life. I know b/c I have broken a bone three times in my life while around the house in the last 6 years: (1) Tripped while jogging and broke my thumb, (2) Had a basketball backboard fall down while adjusting it's height and broke my hand, (3) Fell down the stairs and broke my wrist. Freak accidents that happened while doing normal activities around the house. I am not a pro athlete, but I can relate to how things can happen while living "normally".

It is okay to desire a trade for Junior. But lets not be angry for this broken hand until (if it ever is known) we know more about how it happened.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by realistic View Post
    For the very first time ever i now find myself saying "Get rid of Griffey". Ive defended him for 6 years of injuries, this is no longer excusable. Release him, trade him , sell him to Japan - whatever can be done , but lets move on to a new era of Reds baseball.

Im a very patient and forgiving man, but to read that he broke his hand in the offseason has me boiling with anger. If it were anyone else it wouldnt be a story - theyd be back by April. But Griffey? He will nurse that all year.

I am officialy surrendering my seat in his corner.
    So, if he rescued a child from the mouth of an Alligator you would still be mad? C'mon...
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?