Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Willie Mays -

1951 after 12 games .163 .294 .326 .620
    1952 after 15 games .205 .314 .330 .643
    1954 after 19 games .244 .268 .423 .691
    1956 after 22 games .209 .303 .384 .687

There are a lot more examples of slow starts just from this guy, but the point is that his OPS over those seasons was .966.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

FYI here's what the OP said about another Reds player last year. I'm sensing a trend.

Yeah, like I said I'm sorry if my feelings are those that rub some the wrong way and I'm only a fan. What do I know right?

But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures.

I don't think he's a tough guy, and a quote earlier in the thread about him having a great time of it lately while he's out would be consistent with what I already believed: he plays baseball because he's great at it. It's just his job, not his primary passion.

This is his team. We go as Joey Votto goes. I don't know how I feel about that. I don't know if it's a good thing.
    Going off the rails isn't anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Willie Mays -

1951 after 12 games .163 .294 .326 .620
    1952 after 15 games .205 .314 .330 .643
    1954 after 19 games .244 .268 .423 .691
    1956 after 22 games .209 .303 .384 .687

There are a lot more examples of slow starts just from this guy, but the point is that his OPS over those seasons was .966.
    I'm sure there are tons of examples, but stats aren't really the issue here. Right now, Bruce looks like a guy just about any major league pitcher could pitch to, set up and then set him down. I think that is unexpected even for a slumping player. I don't know what Mays looked like back then, but Bruce looks like a 10 year od girl could successfully pitch to him right now. He had an extended period like that in 2010 as well and an even longer period in 2009 where everything he hit was a lazy fly ball. If he is to make the jump to great player that we all hope, then these down periods need to be a lot shorter. I think asking how long or "when" as this thread title does is a fair question.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The team is 6 and 2. If he's going to slump, now is the best time.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The team is 6 and 2. If he's going to slump, now is the best time.
    Agreed. Last year it coincided with Rolen falling off and a slump by Stubbs and the Reds saw their lead evaporate. Bruce started hitting again when the Reds took control. One of the reasons that I think his bat is so crucial.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    A week from now this thread will look sillier than it already does.
    Maybe in May or June, but what do you want to bet that a week from now the thread looks even more justified?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    I'm pretty sure this guy is trolling...
    I resent that statement.

I've had some poor posts like anyone else but this is not trolling. It's talking baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Even King Albert exhibits a poor approach with holes in his swing when in a slump.
    No. Just no. I couldn't wait for someone to bring Pujols into this.

Jay Bruce's track record is one thing, Albert Pujols is another. Bruce has never done what Pujols has done to suggest that nothing can really be said when he's struggling because he'll inevitably get it together. Virtually, the two have no similarities. Possible top 10 player of all time and future sure fire Hall of Famer vs. 24 year old still trying to find his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    FYI here's what the OP said about another Reds player last year. I'm sensing a trend.

Going off the rails isn't anything new.
    And the example you point to has nothing to do with the subject of the thread, nothing. I didn't go off any rails. My post and take on the subject was pretty sound to be honest.
    Last edited by Ghosts of 1990; 04-10-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Maybe in May or June, but what do you want to bet that a week from now the thread looks even more justified?
    I think you're taking the performance of Jay Bruce way too personally.

On a side note, right now Albert Pujols is hitting .167 with a .524 OPS and leading the entire universe in GIDP.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    I'm pretty sure this guy is trolling...

Maybe he should not have started a thread but how about giving the poster a break about calling him a troll.......even if we do not agree with his starting a thread on this beacuse of such a small time frame in the season does not mean he is not bringing up good points about his approach....the approach Bruce has at this time and how he looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Maybe he should not have started a thread but how about giving the poster a break about calling him a troll.......even if we do not agree with his starting a thread on this because of such a small time frame in the season does not mean he is not bringing up good points about his approach....the approach Bruce has at this time and how he looks.
    He's not a troll, but this is why people are reacting the way they are:
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ight=jay+bruce

If Bruce hits a home run in his next at bat, his obp/slg/ops will go up to .273/.400/.673. Would this thread get started then?

Small sample sizes in baseball are so variable that drawing any conclusion at all is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure that a month from now we could take a 30 PA sample from this same player and draw conclusions that Bruce is going to be the first 100% hall of fame inductee in history.

Bruce's approach through the first 8 games of the season is no more indicative of a season-long trend than Gomes' is. Brantley was saying on the telecast last night that in the first few weeks of the season, pitchers are ahead of batters. There are times to worry about a player's performance and 8 games into the season (where the Reds are 6-2) is not it, in my opinion.

And for what it's worth, Gomes is on pace for 198 walks this season, against 90 strikeouts.

Give it time for the pendulum to stop swinging.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    He's not a troll, but this is why people are reacting the way they are:
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ight=jay+bruce

Well he likes to stir the pot on Bruce for sure. I got frustrated with him on friday myself....but I know it's early.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Bruce's approach through the first 8 games of the season is no more indicative of a season-long trend than Gomes' is. Brantley was saying on the telecast last night that in the first few weeks of the season, pitchers are ahead of batters. There are times to worry about a player's performance and 8 games into the season (where the Reds are 6-2) is not it, in my opinion.
    What it is indicative of; at least to me is that he is not Ryan Braun, Evan Longoria, Carlos Gonzalez yet. More over that the last two months of last season were a hot streak in which confidence was surging, not the maturation of a hitter. He is still the same old Bruce. Doesn't make him horrible, doesn't mean I want him traded or sent to AAA; it simply means he is not special yet.

I'm not stirring the pot. I discuss Bruce quite a bit for multiple reasons. I've followed his career since he was in AA. He's more interesting to me than arguing Janish or Renteria or Leake v. Homer Bailey.

Hey on the plus side thanks to this thread I now know the origin (poster-wise) of Mr. Votto's fancy coffees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    What it is indicative of; at least to me is that he is not Ryan Braun, Evan Longoria, Carlos Gonzalez yet.
    But based on his 2011 start, he might be Albert Pujols.

Also, CarGo is nothing more than a Coors Field mirage. Look at his splits. They're ridonkulous.

Turn Off Ads?