Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Sharky" Rogers

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

"Sharky" Rogers

Can some give me what his pitching arsenal is, and how he projects as a major leaguer?

Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "Sharky" Rogers

I fully expect to see that he has a hammerhead curve, a fastball with teeth, and a slider with a bite.

4. Likes:

Chip R (04-29-2013),HokieRed (05-08-2013),JaxRed (04-30-2013),mace (04-29-2013),malcontent (04-29-2013),medford (05-08-2013),RedEye (05-03-2013),RedlegJake (04-30-2013),redsmetz (05-01-2013),texasdave (04-29-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (05-08-2013),Tom Servo (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I fully expect to see that he has a hammerhead curve, a fastball with teeth, and a slider with a bite.
    That combination of pitches has been successful for eons. And I am pretty certain that he is aggressive on both sides of the plate and really pounds the strike zone.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    So much for my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    That combination of pitches has been successful for eons. And I am pretty certain that he is aggressive on both sides of the plate and really pounds the strike zone.
    Did you really miss what he was saying?

Leadoff hitter strikes out on 3 pitches. On his way to dugout, he tells the next hitter....

"You're gonna need a bigger bat".

9. Likes:

texasdave (04-29-2013)

He's fastball-slider, if I remember correctly. Supposedly a groundball guy. In the mold of Zach Stewart with not quite the same velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He's fastball-slider, if I remember correctly. Supposedly a groundball guy. In the mold of Zach Stewart with not quite the same velocity.
    In other words, he's a future Cy Young winner. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    So much for my answer.
    Sorry to derail things earlier. This is what Doug has for a write up:
    http://redsminorleagues.com/2012/10/...ts-list-11-15/

The Good: He pounds the bottom of the strikezone and generates a high rate of groundballs with an above-average fastball. He can use his above-average slider as an out pitch when he needs a strikeout. While I didn’t see it while he was in Bakersfield, he was throwing a third pitch while in Pensacola leaving open the chance he can remain a starter.

Needs to work on: Developing a third pitch better in order to remain a starter.
    Last edited by klw; 04-30-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Like his fb. Seems to have that "heavy" quality that sinks a bit and helps keep it in the park. I see a very real possibility he takes Leake's place eventually as Mike starts to get expensive. Corcino bust insurance.

E.r.a. now down to 1.51 at Pensacola. WHIP at 0.90. Good control.

What's it going to take for "Sharky" to be taken seriously?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

E.r.a. now down to 1.51 at Pensacola. WHIP at 0.90. Good control.

What's it going to take for "Sharky" to be taken seriously?
    Define "seriously". I had him ranked 10th in the system coming into the 2013 season.

And just so we are correct, his ERA went UP to 1.51 yesterday after allowing a run in 5 innings.

Where's Rogers now on the Reds organization starting pitching depth chart? Is he now 7th behind Leake (or Cingrani)? if one more of the Reds rotation had an injury that would require missing several starts, would it be Rogers or one of the Louisville guys (if it's only one or two turns, I'm assuming roster considerations would probably favor Villareal)? How soon will Rogers get moved to AAA? Will he be good enough by the end of the season that the FO could consider moving Leake (or one of the other starters) even if Arroyo is not re-signed? In other words, could he be penciled in as next year's #5 (Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Cingrani, Rogers)?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Define "seriously". I had him ranked 10th in the system coming into the 2013 season.

And just so we are correct, his ERA went UP to 1.51 yesterday after allowing a run in 5 innings.
    I had him higher than 10th.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I had him higher than 10th.
    Well how serious does someone need to take him to be "taken seriously" if being top 10 isn't serious?

Turn Off Ads?