Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah saves money by going to 4 day work week

Re: Utah saves money by going to 4 day work week

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Just as the single-breadwinner household has largely gone the way of the dinosaur, so too will the soccer-mom / soccer-dad lifestyle. The days of parents having free time to commit their kids to things like sports practices, sports games, scouting, etc. are rapidly coming to an end.
    What is the reason for that? It has been my perception that people spend more time with their kids today than they did a generation ago, but my perception may be flawed. Is the conventional wisdom that parents are spending more time at work, at the golf course, at the gym, at civic meetings, or a combination of the above?

I assumed that those things were no more pervasive today than they were a generation ago, but I may be wrong. If true, it's unfortunate.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think he was saying mom and dad will work more hours and not be the soccer-* parents they once were.

Heck, I work 5 days with 10+ hours.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think he was saying mom and dad will work more hours and not be the soccer-* parents they once were.

Heck, I work 5 days with 10+ hours.
    Here it is:

http://www.bls.gov/opub/working/page17b.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    What I got from that page was that more moms are working now than used to...

The increase mostly reflects the fact that more and more women are working, with those who work increasingly likely to be employed year round.

...but that doesn't mean that dads are home less. Are fathers really working more hours today than a generation ago? Most of the men I know have more leisure time than their fathers did, but my experience may not be typical.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

4/10 would be nice. In season, I work 11 hours a day, 5 days a week (golf pro). So 4/10 would be a breeze. 10 hour days aren't much harder than 8 hour days. You're already there, 2 more hours is pretty easy.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I wouldn't know. I never really know if I'm working or not these days. I sit in front of a computer 14-16 hours, some work, some personal, some play. When I'm out...I carry a blackberry, so I can work if needed.

They call it "weisure" (work-leisure). Sign of the times I guess.

(not complaining...BTW).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I do work a 4-day, 10-hour schedule (Mon-Thurs). I *love* it. Absolutely dread the day I have to go back to working five days a week, and I'm sure it will happen eventually. Three-day weekends every week are phenomenal. My work week actually flies by. Before I know it, it's Wednesday, and then the next day is my Friday.

As for government workers doing this, since Utah didn't save as much as planned on energy costs, could they stagger workers to keep buildings/services open five days a week? Guess it wouldn't really work if you only had half a staff on Mondays and Fridays ...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I used to have a childless co-worker who had a 40-mile commute and worked 4x10 to save herself a round-trip each week. With kids at home, I'm with macro... I wouldn't like routinely spending 10 hours a day at the workplace. That'd be especially true on days when there isn't 10 hours worth of work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'd rather work a 4-day, 8-hour.

I'll go with 4 days a week at 8 hours a day.

I would much rather work four ten-hour shifts, and I believe very strongly that that's the way our society should go.

Imagine how much more efficient I could be at work if I had an extra day to recover from all my hangovers.

I'm a 4 day / 10 hour guy with Friday's off. I've been doing it for about 7 years or so. I absolutely love it. I also telecommute on Wednesday, which is a nice break from being in the office. Even though I typically log in from home on Friday mornings, it's at my leisure, so I don't feel the same stress as if it were Mon - Thur.

4 10s or 3 13s depending on the job

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    For a while, I worked a 9/80 schedule. 8 9 hour days, 1 8 hour day, and 1 day off every other week. It was great.
    Exact schedule I used to work. Loved it.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Considering right now I'm doing a 5-7 day 60+ hr, all of the above sound good.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?