Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: anyone have the iphone?

I'm toolsy.

Re: anyone have the iphone?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    Also, MLB: At Bat 2010 will be available on Feb 28. This was the best $10 I spent last year.
    As of this morning, the release date for MLB: At Bat 2010 has been changed to this Tuesday, March 2.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I'm toolsy.

FYI, the price of the MLB app has been raised to $15. It's still worth every penny, IMO.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

FYI, the price of the MLB app has been raised to $15. It's still worth every penny, IMO.
    Do they include anything new this season? I know last year they waffled a bit on pricing for streaming video -- first there were limited games available to stream, then every game was available, then only a few games were available unless you had an MLB.tv subscription, then every game was available again, then it was just alternate angles in the playoffs.

I liked the MLB app a lot, I'll probably buy again this year, but I really wish they'd get their act together on what content your $15 gets you.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I'm not the most knowledgable iPhone owner in the land . . . How do the movies work? Buy them on iTunes, sync my phone, then what? How much space does each movie take up?
    I rip and convert them to itunes.. usually they are smaller file and same quality. But like the Hangover is a digital copy which is a bigger file.

I bought my first iPhone game yesterday, Plants vs. Zombies, very much worth the $2.99. Even if you're sick of tower defense games it's still a lot of fun.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Do they include anything new this season? I know last year they waffled a bit on pricing for streaming video -- first there were limited games available to stream, then every game was available, then only a few games were available unless you had an MLB.tv subscription, then every game was available again, then it was just alternate angles in the playoffs.

I liked the MLB app a lot, I'll probably buy again this year, but I really wish they'd get their act together on what content your $15 gets you.
    The MLB app is a great app but i wish they would figure out a way that if you subscribe to Extra Innings via Satellite or Cable you should be able to see all the games on the App without having to pay for an MLB.tv subscription.

Here is the description of the MLB app for 2010:

MLB.com At Bat, the iPhone's most popular, award-winning sports app is back for the 2010 season.

With MLB.com At Bat 2010 you can:

- Listen LIVE to every Regular Season and Postseason game
    - Watch LIVE streaming games (blackout restrictions apply)
    - Follow every pitch with MLB.com Gameday
    - View up to the minute box scores and player stats
    - Watch in-game highlights and Condensed Games
    - Get Push Notifications

New for 2010, At Bat has been enhanced with expanded baseball coverage including:

- Spring Training statistics, LIVE audio and LIVE video (mid-March)
    - Breaking league and team news
    - Schedules, rosters and player stats for every team
    - Video library searchable by player and team
    - Enhanced LIVE game video (Regular Season)
    - Home/Away broadcast feed selection (Regular Season)
    - Background audio playback
    - Additional enhancements to come during 2010 season

The background audio playback will be a good addition letting you listen to games in the background while using your phone for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I bought my first iPhone game yesterday, Plants vs. Zombies, very much worth the $2.99. Even if you're sick of tower defense games it's still a lot of fun.
    I really like

Ragdoll Blaster
    Flight Control
    Boxed In
    Paper Toss
    ParaPanic
    School's out. What did you expect?

I saw on the app store's "Top Downloads" yesterday that they've apparently ported the original "Final Fantasy" (from the old NES days, back when I was a kid) to the iPhone.

It's $8, but I'm getting that twinge of nostalgia that might require me to download it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Here is the description of the MLB app for 2010:

MLB.com At Bat, the iPhone's most popular, award-winning sports app is back for the 2010 season.

With MLB.com At Bat 2010 you can:

- Listen LIVE to every Regular Season and Postseason game
    - Watch LIVE streaming games (blackout restrictions apply)
    - Follow every pitch with MLB.com Gameday
    - View up to the minute box scores and player stats
    - Watch in-game highlights and Condensed Games
    - Get Push Notifications

New for 2010, At Bat has been enhanced with expanded baseball coverage including:

- Spring Training statistics, LIVE audio and LIVE video (mid-March)
    - Breaking league and team news
    - Schedules, rosters and player stats for every team
    - Video library searchable by player and team
    - Enhanced LIVE game video (Regular Season)
    - Home/Away broadcast feed selection (Regular Season)
    - Background audio playback
    - Additional enhancements to come during 2010 season

The background audio playback will be a good addition letting you listen to games in the background while using your phone for other things.
    It doesn't say anything about needing an MLB.tv subscription. My question is this, can you get all that for $15?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It doesn't say anything about needing an MLB.tv subscription. My question is this, can you get all that for $15?
    You do get all that for $15. Where the MLB.TV subscription comes in is if you want live video for all the games you need an MLB.TV subscription. What they did last year and I expect they will do again this year is you get one or 2 games a day streaming video with the app but to get video on all the games you would need an MLB.TV subcription which is either 99.95 for a regular yearly subscription or 119.95 for a premium yearly subscription.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    You do get all that for $15. Where the MLB.TV subscription comes in is if you want live video for all the games you need an MLB.TV subscription. What they did last year and I expect they will do again this year is you get one or 2 games a day streaming video with the app but to get video on all the games you would need an MLB.TV subcription which is either 99.95 for a regular yearly subscription or 119.95 for a premium yearly subscription.
    And I'm pretty sure blackout restrictions apply.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    And I'm pretty sure blackout restrictions apply.
    Yes they do apply for the video broadcasts. They go by what area you are watching in. When you bring up streaming video on the app your iPhone tracks where you are watching from. I live in the Reds blackout area but last year when I was away on a business trip I was able to watch the Reds game on the app when I was outside the blackout area.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I saw on the app store's "Top Downloads" yesterday that they've apparently ported the original "Final Fantasy" (from the old NES days, back when I was a kid) to the iPhone.

It's $8, but I'm getting that twinge of nostalgia that might require me to download it.
    I actually considered buying that one also, but a bit worried I'd get bored with it quickly if nostalgia is the only draw. I imagine I'll pick it up at some point though, I played the heck out of the original Final Fantasy when I was about 10 or 11.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I actually considered buying that one also, but a bit worried I'd get bored with it quickly if nostalgia is the only draw. I imagine I'll pick it up at some point though, I played the heck out of the original Final Fantasy when I was about 10 or 11.
    Sounds like we're about the same age, as I was around 9 or 10 when I was playing through the this one. Final Fantasy was one of the first video games I actually "beat" as a kid growing up.

I ended up pulling the trigger -- the updated graphics are nice, and the touch-screen interface is reasonably well pulled off. It's a decidedly old-school RPG: tons of random encounters, tons of level grinding, and tons of dungeon crawling. It actually lends itself well to the iPhone format, since you can pick it up and play the game in short bursts without feeling compelled to make it to the next "story break" like you might with some of the later Final Fantasy games.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-04-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Turn Off Ads?