Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm really shocked at many of the posts after this game.....

I'm really shocked at many of the posts after this game.....

....and I'm not talking about the ones who are irate. I'm talking about the ones who are saying "it's one bad game, get over it. You're overreacting."

I came home and expected this board to be on fire, but the apathy is amazing. I'm beginning to think those who think it's no big deal actually work for the Reds. That would explain alot. No wonder this team keeps losing.

It's attitudes like many on this board, that make it easy for the Reds to continue to be an embarrassment. :thumbdown

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm really shocked at many of the posts after this game.....

Good thread.

I agree to some extent, it's a terrible loss, and a ridiculous one, and i see your point about a losing mentality, but this game isn't what has us under .500 either, it's consistently doing stupid things like this throughout the season. They just aren't a very good baseball team right now, they have the potential, and will hopefully put it together soon, but until they stop things like tonight from happening, they won't be a winning club.

There's no point in getting mad over player performances in individual games during the season. Dusty pushed most of the right buttons tonight, and the team lost. They stink. I'm not sure why this is supposed to bother me more just because Cordero had a bad night.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

What can you do? Get mad, get irate, get frustrated. It isn't going to change anything, the ownership is trying to win, Castellini wants to win, he knows the fans want to win. Getting mad and irate of a loss like this will just make a 162 game season seem a whole lot longer

RotoHester

Let's see...maybe I'm over dramatic..but gas prices are through the roof, banks are closing right and left, food prices are hitting record prices...the economy is basically in shambles...excuse us for not getting mad and angry over a game. Win or lose, believe it or not, right now baseball is just an escape from the "real world" for a bit. We lost, yes, but it was a fun game to watch. This morning I wake up and still have bills to pay.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    It's attitudes like many on this board, that make it easy for the Reds to continue to be an embarrassment. :thumbdown
    Who says people aren't upset or frustrated? I've long known that the mathematical equation for "Sports Anguish" is:

PAIN = (JOY^2) x -1

In other words, take the joy your team shows itself capable of, square it, then make it negative, and that's how much pain they'll eventually make you feel. The Pain Vector is equal in length to the Joy-squared Vector, just in the opposite direction. And last night? Man, that was some Joy: we touched up a 2 time Cy Young winner worse than he's been touched up all year, we got a lead. JOY. We lost that lead. PAIN. We rallied bravely to retake the lead from the current hottest team in baseball. BIGGER JOY. We still pissed it away in the end. ULTIMATE PAIN. One of the bigger pains of the year, honestly.

So see: I hurt. Prick me, do I not bleed (red)?

It's just that there's no fricking point posting about it, and frankly, you're doing this medium a disservice if your suggestion is that more people SHOULD post about such things. I'm convinced that some significant percentage of the market for sports-talk radio and interweb message boards are mentally enfeebled folks who (a) believe that the more a thing is repeated, the more true it becomes and (b) believe that they are contributing to some greater good by being one of the people repeating those things. I, in fact, would take the opposite stance from you, and suggest the world would be a far better place if more people would just realize "Oh, it's been said already" and keep mum, instead of feeling like the world is dying to hear/read them piling on to parrot largely-dubious notions. Be original, be practical, be constructive, and you can post away; otherwise, who really cares?

But feel free to enlighten me: you suggest it's folks like me who "make it easy for the Reds to keep losing"... I'd like to know precisely how posting indignant rage on a message board, providing no discernable solutions to the Reds problems, or alternately, providing "solutions" that would actually make things worse or "solutions" that are utterly impractical outside of a videogame world where you set the Computer GM's artificial intelligence to "houseplant," makes the Reds a better team.

What are you gonna do, create some kind of viral marketing campaign so that the Reds ballpark attendence drops from 14th in the league to 15th? Yeah, that'll show 'em we fans mean business!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by wojo1025 View Post
    Let's see...maybe I'm over dramatic..but gas prices are through the roof, banks are closing right and left, food prices are hitting record prices...the economy is basically in shambles...excuse us for not getting mad and angry over a game. Win or lose, believe it or not, right now baseball is just an escape from the "real world" for a bit. We lost, yes, but it was a fun game to watch. This morning I wake up and still have bills to pay.
    Blah Who cares about bills.

Pay them and forget them. Quite crying about them.

We care about baseball here. Not what bills you have to pay.

....and I'm not talking about the ones who are irate. I'm talking about the ones who are saying "it's one bad game, get over it. You're overreacting."

I came home and expected this board to be on fire, but the apathy is amazing. I'm beginning to think those who think it's no big deal actually work for the Reds. That would explain alot. No wonder this team keeps losing.

Its too easy to just blow up. You have to put things in perspective. We hung with one of the best teams in the league (you'll see second half) and our closer blew the save. Closers blow saves, its life. We hit Santana well and Cueto showed flashes of brilliance. It is without a doubt a dissapointing loss but hanging in a close game when you have your rookie starter going against Johan Sanatana is nothing to be ashamed or irate about. If CoCo doesn't regain form.. then we should worry.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    But feel free to enlighten me: you suggest it's folks like me who "make it easy for the Reds to keep losing"... I'd like to know precisely how posting indignant rage on a message board, providing no discernable solutions to the Reds problems, or alternately, providing "solutions" that would actually make things worse or "solutions" that are utterly impractical outside of a videogame world where you set the Computer GM's artificial intelligence to "houseplant," makes the Reds a better team.

What are you gonna do, create some kind of viral marketing campaign so that the Reds ballpark attendence drops from 14th in the league to 15th? Yeah, that'll show 'em we fans mean business!
    Wow, what he said up there (and I only copied the part I liked the most). That is a great post and I can't argue with any of it. What good does it do to rant and rave here when it won't do anything but allow people to release pent up anger? Maybe that's a good thing so folks don't get all indignant and annoying with their families instead but I don't see any reason to go off about these games on a message board. Yes, the game was annoying to lose last night and it was horrible watching Cordero struggle but in the end, a new day starts today and most people still woke up at the same time and went to work so they can make their living. Games are going to be different every single day (win or lose, every game is different in some way from the last one) but I really don't see what good it does to rant and rave on a message board about games. It makes this board extremely unpleasant to see nothing but negativity every single day. Yes, this team has it's really horrible moments but I see more potential in the team for the future than I have in a LONG time and that gives me encouragement when I watch this year. And for the record, I really can't see Walt Jocketty or Bob C. reading any message boards in order to make any of their decisions (thank goodness, LOL). :
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Good post. This team seems to keep finding new ways to lose. Bad defense, bad starting pitching, bad relief pitching, bad baserunning, bad lineups, etc. It gets old with all the excuses people make, these guys are professionals and they get paid to do a job. If not, that is failure and it shouldn't be encouraged.

Yeah, and I own and run a company where overhead is soaring but I can't raise my prices to cover it because my competitors seem to be cutting their prices just to stay afloat. Blah, blah, blah. Tell me something I don't know.

I'm angry about the bad economy, high gas prices, the state of the nation, the lousy choices for president, rising costs of everything I purchase, AND I'M MAD ABOUT THE STATE OF THE REDS, BENGALS, AND I'M STILL MAD ABOUT WHAT NANCY ZIMPHER DID TO UC BASKETBALL.

There is plenty of room in my house of anger.

Yup...its just baseball y'all. I'm going to the game tonight cause I love getting away from life for 4 hrs. The day that I get overly pissed because the Reds suck is that day I need to find another hobby.
    it's gonna happen...it may take 20 years but when it does we'll look back and remember all of the games we got beat and stuck it out and we won't be bandwagon fans. haha...at least for some of us it hasnt been 100 years...

rationalization: a defense mechanism by which your true motivation is concealed by explaining your actions and feelings in a way that is not threatening.

"Whether the Reds win or lose, I still have fun."

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Good thread.
    good post

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    rationalization: a defense mechanism by which your true motivation is concealed by explaining your actions and feelings in a way that is not threatening.

"Whether the Reds win or lose, I still have fun."

I agree a losing reds team is better than no reds i suppose.

But dang it this gets frustrating.

Turn Off Ads?