Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think what Penn State did at all levels of the football program, from the janitors to the University President was the epitome of evil. Quite frankly I wish the program had seen the death penalty. The Governor should be ashamed.

These crimes were covered up to protect the football program. These crimes were covered up for the financial gain of the university through the football program. Boys were raped, and this was kept quiet to keep the football program strong. Someone has to pay, and I am glad that the NCAA brought the thunder. This isn't tattoos for jerseys, extra benefits, or strippers for recruits, this is child rape in the locker room we are talking about. NEVER FORGET THAT!
    Totally agree with you. The state of Pennsylvania needs to just shut up. What happened was horrific. It continued to happen over and over again because Penn State didn't want their image tarnished and they thought they could sweep under a rug forever. IMO their program should have been shutdown for a minimum of two years. Penn State should have done that themselves,not the NCAA. I know if I was a citizen of Pennsylvania I would be awfully angry that my tax dollars are going towards a lawsuit that in effect is trying to defend a pedophile of the worst kind.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let's keep an open mind here and see what the Paterno family has to say

The independent review and analysis of the Freeh Report by the family of former Penn State coach Joe Paterno is nearing completion and should be released in the near future, according to a statement released Wednesday morning.

The Paterno family engaged a team of experts to conduct the independent review. It will address all the issues of the past year at that time, the statement said.

Paterno, the former football coach who died Jan. 22 because of complications from lung cancer treatment, was found, along with three other former school officials, to conceal allegations of sexual abuse against Jerry Sandusky, according to the Freeh Report.

The Paterno family issued the statement just as Gov. Tom Corbett announced he would file an antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA.

"We have not yet had an opportunity to review the lawsuit filed by Governor Corbett today," the statement reads, in part. "We cannot comment on the specifics of the litigation. What we do know, however, is that this matter is far from closed. The fact that Governor Corbett now realizes, as do many others, that there was an inexcusable rush to judgment is encouraging.

"Joe Paterno's only guidance to us was to seek the truth."

http://www.statecollege.com/news/loc...etion-1213026/

I'm not sure anyone has earned less of a reason for us to listen than the Paterno family.

I think it's important to keep the emotional aspect of the terrible crimes aside while evaluating the legal side.

That said, I don't see where the commonwealth has any real standing here. The university's duly elected representatives collectively looked at the case before them, looked at the PR fallout they'd experience with fighting further punishments, and made the decision to accept the offer from the NCAA.

Unless the governor is alleging that Penn State university didn't have the right to agree to that deal, or that the NCAA didn't have the right to agree to it's side, it doesn't really matter whether anyone outside of the parties agreeing to the punishment felt that it was too harsh or not harsh enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Now the state of Pennsylvania is suing the NCAA asking that all sanctions be dropped based on the idea that they were excessive and that it was not due to a violation of NCAA rules hence they did not have the authority to levy sanctions against them. In other words the violation was a criminal matter not a matter of NCAA rules violations.

I agree with Gov Corbett and wish him luck in this suit:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/02...ate-sanctions/
    I'm no legal expert, but I do have a pretty good handle on ethics. On ethical principal, this is repugnant. If the NCAA doesn't have any authority here, then I guess they don't have any authority over any athletic program in the country. Plus, I'm guessing that the NCAA did their homework before levying the penalties.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

What the NCAA and all other reasonable human beings think.

We are disappointed by the Governor's action today. Not only does this forthcoming lawsuit appear to be without merit, it is an affront to all of the victims in this tragedy -- lives that were destroyed by the criminal actions of Jerry Sandusky. While the innocence that was stolen can never be restored, Penn State has accepted the consequences for its role and the role of its employees and is moving forward. Today's announcement by the Governor is a setback to the University's efforts.
    The best insider report on how the agreement came to being
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...ink-extinction

Why it won't work.
    http://espn.go.com/colleges/psu/stor...nce-succeeding

This is an effort by a Republican governor to hold onto power, with his base. My guess is that child rape doesn't play to well with people who don't obsess over Penn State football.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 01-03-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

How in the world are Penn State students and Pennsylvania citizens harmed by the NCAA sanctions? Because the football team can't go to the Outback Bowl the next three years, the state suffers? The school is probably saving money not going to bowl games for awhile...

In other news, I don't think the current PSU coach will be around quite as long as his predecessor. Rumor has it the Nittany Lions will be looking for another head coach..
    Last edited by Reds Freak; 01-03-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Purely a political move by the Governor to score points with his base and donors. With a new Attorney General coming on board with the state and vowing to investigate the handling of the Sandusky case the Governor is looking to shore up support as I believe he is going to be hammered for only assigning one state trooper to this case for a period of yrs.

It's sad that these guys (Franco Harris, Certain Members of the Board of Trustees, Paterno Family and Gov. Corbett) keep shooting their mouths off, opening up the scab, not allowing the University to move forward. Every time they talk the State and the University take 2 steps back.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Looks like we can count the star witness for the prosecution among those who think the NCAA went overboard:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...203458865.html

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    What the NCAA and all other reasonable human beings think.

The best insider report on how the agreement came to being
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...ink-extinction

Why it won't work.
    http://espn.go.com/colleges/psu/stor...nce-succeeding

This is an effort by a Republican governor to hold onto power, with his base. My guess is that child rape doesn't play to well with people who don't obsess over Penn State football.
    I'm a pretty reasonable human being and I think your appeals to emotion and declarations of "here's what people who don't support child rape think" are extremely misguided at best.

On the flip side, here's a good summary of why the NCAA is full of BS and why the state should win their case:
    http://deadspin.com/5972596/this-isn...uld-support-it

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I'm a pretty reasonable human being and I think your appeals to emotion and declarations of "here's what people who don't support child rape think" are extremely misguided at best.

On the flip side, here's a good summary of why the NCAA is full of BS and why the state should win their case:
    http://deadspin.com/5972596/this-isn...uld-support-it
    I prefer the comments section tearing the article down.

Far as I'm concerned, the sanctions were handed down. Deal with it. That's all that those who were raped by Sandusky can do now, it's what Penn State and Pennsylvania should do as well.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I prefer the comments section tearing the article down.

Far as I'm concerned, the sanctions were handed down. Deal with it. That's all that those who were raped by Sandusky can do now, it's what Penn State and Pennsylvania should do as well.
    I prefer a better and more rational reason for a kicking a regional economy in the junk than "well that's just what you get, deal with it."

BS. It's not local business fault or the fault of everyone else at PS not associated with football that this happen. Screw the NCAA. We should just bring the hammer down on everyone else, why, because *somebody* has to get egregiously punished?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I prefer a better and more rational reason for a kicking a regional economy in the junk than "well that's just what you get, deal with it."

BS. It's not local business fault or the fault of everyone else at PS not associated with football that this happen. Screw the NCAA. We should just bring the hammer down on everyone else, why, because *somebody* has to get egregiously punished?
    CHILD RAPE ACTIVELY COVERED UP FOR OVER A DECADE

There really isn't much argument here that doesn't appeal to the emotion of abject horror.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Looks like we can count the star witness for the prosecution among those who think the NCAA went overboard:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...203458865.html
    Now seems like a really great time for someone with a background in psychology to jump in & tell us about Stockholm Syndrome.

CHILD RAPE ACTIVELY COVERED UP FOR OVER A DECADE

There really isn't much argument here that doesn't appeal to the emotion of abject horror.
    And by your course of action, we would punish anyone ever associated with Penn State (even the janitor, as you said.)

Well, objectively so, it's not the janitor's fault or the community's fault, so why again are we punishing them? Because there's no actual rational reason to do so than to arbitrarily placate some sense of guilt that such a course of action would serve no justice to regardless.

And yes, child rape covered up for over a decade is one of the worst things humanity could imagine (obviously).

Those responsible for it are also currently locked up thanks to the criminal justice system. No need to let the NCAA further play judge, jury and executioner.

Turn Off Ads?