Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Things people say that irritate you

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Things people say that irritate you

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    "I seen.."
    When talking about a conversation, someone inevitably says, "So I go..."
    "I done did"
    Any automatic denial, even after having seen the offense
    "freakin'"
    "Bob Sagett"
    "That's gay"

Can you tell I teach school?
    I've heard every one of those in a conversation but "Bob Sagett"? In what context is that uttered?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Oh, yeah...

"At the end of the day..."

Needs to go bye-bye, as well.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

My friend and I were having this discussion last week. One he mentioned that didn't bother me until he mentioned it is: "Isn't it though?"

For example:
    Can't Touch This: "It's freezing out there today."
    Someone Else: "Isn't it though?"

I told him the next time someone says that I'm going to reply negatively.

Can't Touch This: "This is the most exciting game I've seen all week!"
    Someone Else: "Isn't it though?!"
    Can't Touch This: "No. What game are you watching?"

My list includes:

The use of the article "an" before words that start with a pronounced H. The most commonly heard is "an historic." I shall not accept any explanation to justify this blatant grammatical liberty. It is made up and pretentious.

An earlier variation to theme of taking random grammatical liberties is when people starting pronouncing the T in the word often. The T is silent. At least it was silent. More ofTen than not, I hear the T. I think people who did that were trying to sounds smarter, and now it's so commonly heard that I think most people don't even know the T is supposed to be silent.

I wonder when people are going to start pronouncing the S in Illinois...?
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

- the "nu-cue-lar" someone else mentioned is at the top of my list.

- in a more general sense, when some reporter asks someone (typically in sports), "So how happy/sad were you when event X happened/didn't happen?". How in the world is someone supposed to answer a question like that??? My answer would always be
    "7" and nothing more. It is the laziest and least purposeful question I can think of to ask someone over the age of 9.

I don't have real problems with different expressions. etc. Some I may not like so well, some may seem cheesey/corny/overused, but in general I try not to let that stuff get to me. What I don't like are when people flat out say things incorrectly.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I like saying "nuke-ular" because it annoys people.

The "nukeular" thing never bothered me but I always wondered about kids who couldn't pronounce spaghetti.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    My friend and I were having this discussion last week. One he mentioned that didn't bother me until he mentioned it is: "Isn't it though?"

For example:
    Can't Touch This: "It's freezing out there today."
    Someone Else: "Isn't it though?"

I told him the next time someone says that I'm going to reply negatively.

Can't Touch This: "This is the most exciting game I've seen all week!"
    Someone Else: "Isn't it though?!"
    Can't Touch This: "No. What game are you watching?"

My list includes:

The use of the article "an" before words that start with a pronounced H. The most commonly heard is "an historic." I shall not accept any explanation to justify this blatant grammatical liberty. It is made up and pretentious.

An earlier variation to theme of taking random grammatical liberties is when people starting pronouncing the T in the word often. The T is silent. At least it was silent. More ofTen than not, I hear the T. I think people who did that were trying to sounds smarter, and now it's so commonly heard that I think most people don't even know the T is supposed to be silent.

Aren't these just differences between Oxford English and Webster's English? I think you just don't like British people.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Aren't these just differences between Oxford English and Webster's English? I think you just don't like British people.
    HA! Maybe that's true. Well, then if I ever move to London, I'll take what you said under consideration.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    In baseball I really hate it when they use the term "base knock"...have always hated that
    Every time George Grande says "nubber"

- When a "problem" is referred to as a "challenge" or an "opportunity." If it has potentially negative consequences, it's a PROBLEM. Anything else is just spin. Call it a problem and then tackle it. "Houston, we have an opportunity!" Ugh.

- And related to that, the misuse of the word "issue." I lead a meeting where people know I'm no fan of people bringing "issues" to the table. "Concerning this issue..." should be "concerning this matter." "I have an issue with this..." should be "I have a problem with this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The "nukeular" thing never bothered me but I always wondered about kids who couldn't pronounce spaghetti.
    I used to call Red Lobster, "Red Losper"

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post

Yes, absolutely agree about the T in often. I started hearing teachers say it in the early 80s and thought it was weird even then. Knowing someone else is bothered by this helps to sofTen the blow.

Oh, and I HAVE heard people pronounce the S in Illinois. Yikes.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

"I'd like to...." (such as "I'd like to thank") - if you would like to do so, then just do it, instead of saying you want to (i.e. say "Thank you" instead of "I'd like to thank you.")

It's not a huge deal, unless I find myself saying it, in which case I wonder why I have to resort to something like that.

Also the phrase "past history" is a bit of a pet peeve as well.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    I like saying "nuke-ular" because it annoys people.
    I have always been amused when the mispronouncing of "nuclear" annoys people, particularly those people who are not bothered by the mispronunciation of "Cuba" and "Caribbean."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

EYE-talian.

Also, "There is no 'I' in T-E-A-M." Correct, but there is an 'M' and an 'E'.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?