Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: BCS blather

Re: BCS blather

A 64 team playoff is just nuts for div 1A football. It's nothing more than internet fodder. That would mean over half the teams make the field. It makes no sense on many, many levels. So much so it's not worth the time and bandwidth to discuss at length

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If a team plays 11 games and wins its conference championship game, then it's 17 games.
    You're looking at 19 games, not 17. 12 game season + conference title game + 6 games in the tournament. They're not going to drop to 11 games in the regular season because they're not going to cut out a game's worth of revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    You're looking at 19 games, not 17. 12 game season + conference title game + 6 games in the tournament. They're not going to drop to 11 games in the regular season because they're not going to cut out a game's worth of revenue.
    Such a format would render conference title games essentially meaningless; reason #85 why this plan wouldn't even make it to the drawing board

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    A 64 team playoff is just nuts for div 1A football. It's nothing more than internet fodder. That would mean over half the teams make the field. It makes no sense on many, many levels. So much so it's not worth the time and bandwidth to discuss at length
    So why did you comment?

It probably doesn't have a snowball's chance in heck of coming true. But about 1/2 the NCAA teams go to bowl games now. Why not put them in a bracket?

And I think it makes a lot of sense and that's why it won't happen. It's too far out of the box thinking and college sports is entirely too stodgy to ever consider doing it. You'll never get college presidents and ADs and bowl execs who are in their pockets to ever agree.

But March Madness played out on the football field would be enormously great and exciting. And why not discuss it? Spring training is still weeks off.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So why did you comment?
    Cause I'm such a loser that I have nothing better to do. Sad, I know

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    And I think it makes a lot of sense and that's why it won't happen. It's too far out of the box thinking and college sports is entirely too stodgy to ever consider doing it. You'll never get college presidents and ADs and bowl execs who are in their pockets to ever agree.

But March Madness played out on the football field would be enormously great and exciting. And why not discuss it? Spring training is still weeks off.
    You think it makes sense to allow over half the teams into a playoff? You're not worried about watering down the regular season or eliminating conference championship games? It would render the regular season to that of the NBA

It's debatable whether we need 64 teams in the NCAA basketball pool; there are 3 times as many BB teams as div 1A football. By what standard do yu pick the same number (64) for both sports?

Why subject the 64th team to a slaughter by the #1? Let them have a chance to win their Humanitarian Bowl, get a trophy and end their season with a celebration

Not to defend NCAA execs but there are a lot of reasons to not consider this plan other than "their pockets".

I think a 64 team football tournament would be incredibly uninteresting the first two rounds. There's way more parity in basketball than football with 12 man teams and only 5 players playing at a time. That's what allows for so many upsets during march, you can get a hot shooter, or one team could get really cold. You wouldn't see that in football as the physical advantage is just too much.

I'd love to see 16 teams, but I think 8 or 12 is the sweet spot. With 12 teams, you could have the top 4 with byes set to play the 4 winners of the other 8 teams.

If they ever do go to a playoff though, they would need to cut the regular season down to 10 games plus conference championship. I think playing only 1 or 2 automatic blow out games is plenty. Play 2-3 non-conference games and then conference play. Don't have playoff games in warm climates, play them at the home stadiums until the national championship game. That's the only way it will be a level playing field.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

OK, so maybe I got carried away. 64 teams is too much. First and second round games would be like early season sacrificial lamb games. 48 teams with the top 16 teams getting a bye is an option. Or a 32 team bracket. But those would probably have MWM's incredibly boring blowouts and probably wouldn't work. I could get behind a 16 team bracket though.

I guess my comment is the way post-season college football is evolving. I think we're going to go through teeny-tiny little steps and in general a bass-ackwards way of doing it. I'm all for blowing the whole thing up and re-designing a tournament-style post-season. The BCS cronyism and self-annointing of teams is generally recognized as not working. I'm all for letting the TCU's and Boise State's and BYU's of the world a shot at the title. Odds are it will come down to the usual SEC/Big 10/Big 12/PAC 12 heavyweights, but let the guys prove it on the field rather than in computer RAM.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'm with you Roy, I want the cronies out of it completely or we'll never gets what's truly best for the universities, the student athletes, or the fans. These guys lining their pockets and going on luxury boondoggles all while the universities are losing money and next to nothing is going to charitable causes is disgraceful and I'd love to see it eliminated altogether.

But it has about as much chance of happening as entitlements going away. The very people who make the decisions are the ones who benefit from keeping it the same.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

What if the star running back or the star quarterback went down in a #1-#64 matchup? That wouldn't be too good.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    What if the star running back or the star quarterback went down in a #1-#64 matchup? That wouldn't be too good.
    Trust me, as a U of Tenn alum, my school would have no business playing in something like this and we'd have no chance against Alabama or LSU under any circumstances. We ended the yr #60 in the final RPI

Now, all of a sudden, Jim Delany is in favor of a playoff.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...off_bcs_020712
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Now, all of a sudden, Jim Delany is in favor of a playoff.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...off_bcs_020712
    Somebody must have finally told him how much $$$ was to be made by a playoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Somebody must have finally told him how much $$$ was to be made by a playoff.
    I think he finally figured out that the Big 10 was getting shut out of the BCS Championship game due to the SEC's domination.

And the money, of course.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?