Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Carpenter likely out for 2013.

Re: Cardinals Call 1:30 CT Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Is Garcia healthy? I thought he was hurt, or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
    He is, but they are hopeful he'll be ready by April. But you're correct, he's a huge question mark for next season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He is, but they are hopeful he'll be ready by April. But you're correct, he's a huge question mark for next season.
    Ah, okay. Thanks. I thought I was losing it there for a second. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Is the level of disdain from Reds fans toward the cardinals on this board representative of the whole reds fan base? Because i gotta say, cardinals fans don't feel that way about the reds at all. They don't like Phillips, but neither does anyone outside of Cincinnati. There is a rivalry from the brawl and both teams being competitive right now but it seems like reds consider the cardinals their #1 hated rival when there are probably 5 teams that I consider the cardinals to have bigger rivalries with. Those teams being chicago, KC, NYM, Astros (though that one is over), LAD.
    I'm calling b.s. on this entire statement. I occasionally check out Cards message boards (but never post), and Cards fans are clearly more disdainful of the Reds than any other team at the moment. On STLtoday, there is always at least one active thread about the Reds.

Rivalries either grow or they die. The Cards' "rivalry" with the Mets or the Astros or the Royals are not growing, they are dying. Even the Cubs rivalry isnt growing. At the moment the Cards' biggest rival is the Reds. It is apparent from my conversations with Cards fans (I used to live in STL) and from Cards message boards.

Sometime in the future, the Cards or the Reds will fall out of contention and another team will step up in the division. And rivalries will shift again.

5. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (02-06-2013),Drugs Delaney (02-05-2013),Homer Bailey (02-05-2013)

[Powers Booth] Well... Bye. [/Powers Booth]

7. Likes:

Big Klu (02-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    I'm calling b.s. on this entire statement. I occasionally check out Cards message boards (but never post), and Cards fans are clearly more disdainful of the Reds than any other team at the moment. On STLtoday, there is always at least one active thread about the Reds.

Rivalries either grow or they die. The Cards' "rivalry" with the Mets or the Astros or the Royals are not growing, they are dying. Even the Cubs rivalry isnt growing. At the moment the Cards' biggest rival is the Reds. It is apparent from my conversations with Cards fans (I used to live in STL) and from Cards message boards.

Sometime in the future, the Cards or the Reds will fall out of contention and another team will step up in the division. And rivalries will shift again.
    Spot on. It's the egotistical Cardinals thing to say that you don't really consider the Reds a rival. But its comically inaccurate.

9. Likes:

Caveman Techie (02-06-2013),OnBaseMachine (02-06-2013),Tommyjohn25 (02-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    True but him and Phillips have made up and you see them laughing at times. Yadi never really says anything controversial and isn't a jerk out there. He isn't on the level of TLR or Carpenter.
    This is the detente I've come to with this. The initial occurrence was two jocks being stupid (Phillips in how he said what he did and Molina over reacting to BP's doing his usual tapping of a catcher - which in itself in that moment was not smart either). But I've come to respect Molina. And I've wondered since if our booing and all doesn't just motivate him. Many times, he's been the last batter I've wanted to face with a game on the line when we've played the Cardinals. Time to bury it, IMO.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post

And I'm calling BS on that. I go to the STL Today forums all the time and while there are Reds topics on occasion, it's not as widespread as you're making it. It has always been idiots complaining about TLR or how Mozeliak doesn't know what he's doing. I'm on page 7 of the threads in the Cardinals forum there before even a hint of the mention of Reds are on there and that thread was comparing the Reds to the Cardinals. I don't see a ton of disdain there honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Spot on. It's the egotistical Cardinals thing to say that you don't really consider the Reds a rival. But its comically inaccurate.
    Shhh.. the Reds have only been playing the Cardinals for 130 years or so... we are not a rival... KC is, why they've played each other 79 times!!

13. Likes:

Homer Bailey (02-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Wainwright, Garcia, Westbrook, Lynn, Miller/Rosenthal

That is not a contending teams's rotation, even if the rookies perform as Cardinal fans hope.
    Really? Because that was pretty much the contending rotation of last season. You forget that both Lynn and Kelly were rookies last year and Garcia was out for a good chunk of the year along with Carpenter. They still have the ability to outslug teams as well.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Shhh.. the Reds have only been playing the Cardinals for 130 years or so... we are not a rival... KC is, why they've played each other 79 times!!
    Sorry to say it but the Reds until very recently have not been a rival with the Cardinals. I wouldn't say, however, that KC was a rival either though. When I first came to this board, I was shocked at the angst for the Cardinals here. I didn't know that it has been like that for years as most Cards fans didn't.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Is the level of disdain from Reds fans toward the cardinals on this board representative of the whole reds fan base? Because i gotta say, cardinals fans don't feel that way about the reds at all. They don't like Phillips, but neither does anyone outside of Cincinnati. There is a rivalry from the brawl and both teams being competitive right now but it seems like reds consider the cardinals their #1 hated rival when there are probably 5 teams that I consider the cardinals to have bigger rivalries with. Those teams being chicago, KC, NYM, Astros (though that one is over), LAD.
    You're not actually serious are you?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    The Cardinals homerism in this thread is unusually nauseating.

18. Likes:

CySeymour (02-05-2013),Drugs Delaney (02-05-2013),Number_Fourteen (02-05-2013),OnBaseMachine (02-06-2013),Reds/Flyers Fan (02-06-2013),Scrap Irony (02-05-2013),Tommyjohn25 (02-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The Cardinals homerism in this thread is unusually nauseating.
    I'm sorry for having a differing opinion. Lets all get together, hold hands, and share in the same thought process...

Sorry to say it but the Reds until very recently have not been a rival with the Cardinals. I wouldn't say, however, that KC was a rival either though. When I first came to this board, I was shocked at the angst for the Cardinals here. I didn't know that it has been like that for years as most Cards fans didn't.
    Until recently... in most of our lifetimes.

The 1880's big rivals
    The 1920's Rivals
    The late 30's early 40's rivals
    Early to mid 60's rivals.

Division play and Augie Busch's insistence that he be in the same division as the Cubs (EAST though both are west of Cincinnati) created the world that we recall as being recent.

By question here is who will be the go to target now for you all? TLR and Carpenter is gone. I guess Molina can be another source of angst but are you really going to go after Jon Jay or Daniel Descalso?
    The biggest disappointment of all. Taveras & Co. have big, annoying shoes to fill.

Turn Off Ads?