Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Photos From a Snowy Day in DC

Re: Some Photos From a Snowy Day in DC

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Those are some downright beautiful pics reg. What kind of camera may I ask?
    Thanks GAC. I used a 5 MP Pentax Optio 50 for the shots...not the highest quality you can find, but I've been really happy with the results. I did run the images through an image processing program on my computer prior to posting them, to adjust the levels a bit and scale the photos down. But the quality of the camera--particularly the zoom--I've been really happy with.

I took it with me out to San Francisco last year and got some fantastic shots.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks for the pics, they are beautiful.

I travel to the DC area frequently for work, but am in awe each time I go. It's a spectacular place.

We're taking creek jr there during his spring break this year.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Daffodils are out, the trees are blooming, and it's been sunny & mid-60s here for the past week. Couple weeks ago, we ate dinner out on the deck in shorts & t-shirts.

Life is too short to live with snow.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Daffodils are out, the trees are blooming, and it's been sunny & mid-60s here for the past week. Couple weeks ago, we ate dinner out on the deck in shorts & t-shirts.

Life is too short to live with snow.
    Warm weather is nice, but I like colder weather now and then...and the snow is a nice touch. Life's too short to live in a place with two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    Thanks for the pics, they are beautiful.

I travel to the DC area frequently for work, but am in awe each time I go. It's a spectacular place.

We're taking creek jr there during his spring break this year.
    Have you ever been when the cherry blossoms are out? It's an amazing time to be here.

I've lived here for several years, and still the sight of the Capitol Dome at night, or sitting on the Capitol steps looking out towards the mall, or walking down to the White House...never fails to impress.

Great photos, reg!! They're saved on my hard drive now. I'm going to use them to try to convince my wife that we need to visit the city. She's skeptical, preferring beaches instead.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Great photos, reg!! They're saved on my hard drive now. I'm going to use them to try to convince my wife that we need to visit the city. She's skeptical, preferring beaches instead.
    If she prefers beaches I'm not certain a bunch of pictures of a snowy D.C. will convince her! But absolutely come and see the sites. Springtime is the best, followed by fall....if your schedule permits.

If anyone is planning a trip to D.C., shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to give you the D-low on what/what not to do and see.

As one who doesnt like to travel, thanks for the photos. Probably the only way I will see DC.

DC reminds me a lot of the great cities of Europe: Paris, London, Rome, etc. Lots of impressive architecture minus the massive skyscrapers that define so many US cities. I really miss living in a place like that.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

La Dolce Vita

Gorgeous shots.

I love your neighborhood.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    Gorgeous shots.

I love your neighborhood.
    We do, too. The thing about DC is that there are gorgeous rowhouses with stunning architecture literally all over the city. Even in some very dilapidated neighborhoods there are beautiful homes that just need a little TLC to get them back in shape.

It beats the heck out of living in some cookie-cutter subdivision, although when the first Registerthis Jr. arrives we might have to re-think things a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    DC reminds me a lot of the great cities of Europe: Paris, London, Rome, etc. Lots of impressive architecture minus the massive skyscrapers that define so many US cities. I really miss living in a place like that.
    The city has a very French feel to it, with its wide boulevards and low-lying white marble buildings.

One of my favorite scenes in the city is driving up Independence Ave SW from the Jefferson Memorial/Tidal Basin, where you get to cross under the Department of Agriculture archway. There aren't many people who share my view apparently, because I had a hard time finding a picture of it, but here's one--it doesn't really do it justice:

In the background you can see the Smithsonian Buildings and the Capitol Dome, and to your immediate left is the Washington Monument. It's lovely, particularly at night. Maybe I'll try to take a couple of shots during the Cherry Blossom festival...

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    We do, too. The thing about DC is that there are gorgeous rowhouses with stunning architecture literally all over the city. Even in some very dilapidated neighborhoods there are beautiful homes that just need a little TLC to get them back in shape.

It beats the heck out of living in some cookie-cutter subdivision, although when the first Registerthis Jr. arrives we might have to re-think things a bit...
    Yes, the SOL's moved to the 'burbs once we had kids. The District is great, but you pretty much have to send your kids to private school--an expense we didn't want.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    We are only a couple hours from great beaches, so a trip to DC can easily include a trip to the beach (I prefer Rehoboth Beach, Delaware--known as the Nation's Summer Capital).
    Where we gonna go?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Careful taking pictures of the White House during this administration. You might get thrown in a black bag in the middle of the night and sent to Guantanamo.

But seriously, great pictures. Nice condo.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?