Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics thread

Re: Beijing Olympics thread

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am going to assume you have never truly ridden BMX then. Not that I think either of them is a sport, but BMX racing is much more of a sport than MMA.
    How do you figure it is more of a "sport" than MMA? I prefer MMA but also do understand the difficulty involved in BMX racing. What leads you to believe that BMX is superior?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    How do you figure it is more of a "sport" than MMA? I prefer MMA but also do understand the difficulty involved in BMX racing. What leads you to believe that BMX is superior?
    I see everyone in BMX racing as athletes. I don't see everyone in MMA as athletes. While there are some very good athletes in MMA, there are some that aren't so much. There are 0 non athletes in BMX racing. Just how I see it I guess.

I'm toolsy.

I see everyone in BMX racing as athletes. I don't see everyone in MMA as athletes. While there are some very good athletes in MMA, there are some that aren't so much. There are 0 non athletes in BMX racing. Just how I see it I guess.
    A similar discussion came up yesterday amoungst friends asking "who's the better athelete: Tiger or Michael Phelps"?

For me, it's Phelps, hands down. Golf is a SKILL and Tiger is an atheltic person who possesses the greatest golf SKILLS in the world. Swimming is an athletic competition that is currently being dominated by one of the worlds greatest atheletes.

The comparision between BMX and MMA is similar. I see BMX as a skill. It doesn't hurt to be atheletic, but it's not a prerequisite. MMA is pure atheletism trained for specific actions.
    Last edited by FutureRedsGM; 08-14-2008 at 03:30 PM.

If we're looking at it that way, athleticism isn't a prerequisite for MMA. I could stand in a ring and throw a few punches. I would get destroyed, and not have the slightest chance for success, but I could be a competitor. No different than BMX. I could ride a bike, but without any athleticism I would get destroyed. You can make that basic point about any sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Any sport decided by judges should be thrown out.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Any sport decided by judges should be thrown out.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Of course wrestling isn't supposed to be that kind of sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    If we're looking at it that way, athleticism isn't a prerequisite for MMA. I could stand in a ring and throw a few punches. I would get destroyed, and not have the slightest chance for success, but I could be a competitor. No different than BMX. I could ride a bike, but without any athleticism I would get destroyed. You can make that basic point about any sport.
    Athleticism isn't a prerequisite for a lot of sports. Just look at baseball. Major League bullpens have often been the home of some very unathletic players.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

They need to change the format/rules of Greco Roman Wrestling. Basically they pummel for the first minute and no points are scored. Then it comes down to the coin toss (in the Olympics I guess it's the bag reach) for the par-terre position. Usually the winner of the coin toss (bag reach) will win the round, not always but I'm sure the percentages will back me up on this. You must win two out of the three rounds to win the match. The crazy thing is, if you score last you win the round. You could actually out score your opponent but still lose the match, strange. For example U.S. greco wrestler Jake Deitchler outscored his opponent 5-3 but lost the match. IIRC, Deitchler lost all the coin tosses in that match. He lost the first round 1-1, won the second round 3-1, and lost the third round 1-1. A sport in obvious need of some rule changes.

CNNSI is now reporting that the Associated Press is now reporting that the Chinese news agency reported that one of the Chinese female gymnasts is only 13. Anyone else shocked? If those girls were all over 16 we have that answer to one very important question. The location of Munchkin Land is somewhere in China.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...sts/index.html

The US girls looked like Wookies out there compared to the Chinese. Mike Mcconnell read some story on WLW this morning that claimed that the Chinese team used 3 girls that competed at previous events. Two of them had previously been listed as being born in 1994, and the other girls was listed as 1997!

He said the best newspaper headline about it was "An Olympic Hoax - Made in China"
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I am going to assume you have never truly ridden BMX then. Not that I think either of them is a sport, but BMX racing is much more of a sport than MMA.
    I have to disagree with this. MMA is basically wrestling/boxing combo in which both require extensive athletic ability.

What a first set in the quaterfinal beach volleyball match. Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh who have won 104 straight matches were in trouble to the team from Belgium. Belgium had 5 different set points but May and Walsh came back to win the set 24-22.

The first set was great, but the second set was just total domination by May/Walsh. They just prove they're that much better than the competition.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Michael Phelps is a freak.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Michael Phelps is a freak.
    He be awesome.

I sorta feel sorry for the Hungarian who keeps finishing 2nd, you know he's sick of the US national anthem by now
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?