Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reds Minor League System After Bruce

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Reds Minor League System After Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredfan40 View Post
    Stubbs...I continue to read and read all the negative thoughts about Stubbs and I just don't understand them...Some need to wrap their head around the word potential, and that is what Stubbs has...
    No offense, but potential has never won a championship. At some point, potential has to be translated into production, and Stubbs doesn't seem to be doing that.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think Chattanooga will define Stubbs better. Right now he's in a very, very pitching freindly league and still producing okay. I have a feeling that he'll put up better numbers in AA and then you'll see his stock rise swiftly.

Agree, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him compete for that open CF spot in spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    No offense, but potential has never won a championship. At some point, potential has to be translated into production, and Stubbs doesn't seem to be doing that.
    Well obviously, but sometimes it takes time, and when he is putting up the same or better numbers in a pitchers league you would have to think that is some production...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Except he is doing just that. Not everyone is going to be Jay Bruce. Guys don't hit in the FSL too often. It just doesn't happen. While Ryan Braun was a year younger than Stubbs when he was in the FSL, he had an OPS of 778 there in half a season.... he was then promoted to AA and got out of that pitchers haven and put up an OPS of 956 in the second half. The FSL generally eats hitters alive and the fact that Stubbs is holding his own and not falling flat on his face is a big step.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except he is doing just that. Not everyone is going to be Jay Bruce. Guys don't hit in the FSL too often. It just doesn't happen. While Ryan Braun was a year younger than Stubbs when he was in the FSL, he had an OPS of 778 there in half a season.... he was then promoted to AA and got out of that pitchers haven and put up an OPS of 956 in the second half. The FSL generally eats hitters alive and the fact that Stubbs is holding his own and not falling flat on his face is a big step.
    Nice comparison. Except Braun had a 1041 OPS at Low A. Stubbs wasn't within a light year of that. That Stubbs isn't hitting at High A isn't surprising because he didn't hit at Low A or Rookie ball either.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Nice comparison. Except Braun had a 1041 OPS at Low A. Stubbs wasn't within a light year of that. That Stubbs isn't hitting at High A isn't surprising because he didn't hit at Low A or Rookie ball either.
    So because Braun was good in Low A but 'sucked' in the FSL to the same tune that Stubbs is 'sucking' means that Braun didn't 'suck' but Stubbs still does? Stubbs in fact made dramatic improvements in the second half of last season in Dayton, to the tune of a .913 OPS. Then this year he goes to the FSL and is doing just fine given the league and its history, but because he didn't hit well enough for some in Dayton, what he is doing in the FSL is brushed off? Sorry, I fail to see that logic.

Drew Stubbs is hitting just fine in a league that eats hitters up and most of whom go on to AA and hit much better than they did in Sarasota. It has been seen over and over again that when guys leave the FSL they generally hit much better at the next step.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I am intrigued by Chris Heisey. He was taken in the same draft as Stubbs (17th round), is the same age, and has freakishly similar numbers at every level. In fact, if anything Heisey has had slightLY more success as a hitter.

How does he field and what position does he project to play? Seeing as he and Stubbs are always playing together and Stubbs, of course is going to play CF, would Heisey be considered a CF candidate?
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 05-29-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I am intrigued by Chris Heisey. He was taken in the same draft as Stubbs (17th round), is the same age, and has freakishly similar numbers at every level. In fact, if anything Heisey has had slight more success as a hitter.

How does he field and what position does he project to play? Seeing as he and Stubbs are always playing together and Stubbs, of course, is going to play CF, is would Heisey be considered a CF candidate?
    Heisey could play CF, but not really at the same level that Stubbs can. Heisey I see as a guy would could handle it, but isn't going to be a plus guy there. He is a very interesting prospect though. If he keeps progressing, he will be a major leaguer.

Heisey is looking like another possible Denorfia. Similar skill sets and both were late round picks.

So because Braun was good in Low A but 'sucked' in the FSL to the same tune that Stubbs is 'sucking' means that Braun didn't 'suck' but Stubbs still does? Stubbs in fact made dramatic improvements in the second half of last season in Dayton, to the tune of a .913 OPS. Then this year he goes to the FSL and is doing just fine given the league and its history, but because he didn't hit well enough for some in Dayton, what he is doing in the FSL is brushed off? Sorry, I fail to see that logic.

Drew Stubbs is hitting just fine in a league that eats hitters up and most of whom go on to AA and hit much better than they did in Sarasota. It has been seen over and over again that when guys leave the FSL they generally hit much better at the next step.
    Braun had a history of hitting that Stubbs never had. that the both struggled at the same level shows the difficulty of the level, but it isn't indicative of future performance.

Braun had a history of hitting that Stubbs never had. that the both struggled at the same level shows the difficulty of the level, but it isn't indicative of future performance.
    I don't think I ever made a comment that he would go Ryan Braun, just that even very good hitters struggle in the FSL, so the fact that Stubbs is holding his own would actually suggest improvement and strong performance rather than poor performance.

And i think the comparison is too broad. Some guys just hit, some scuffle. Sometimes it's the league and sometimes it's the player. Valaika did fine in the FSL. Dominated in fact. Sometimes it's the sample size.

And i think the comparison is too broad. Some guys just hit, some scuffle. Sometimes it's the league and sometimes it's the player. Valaika did fine in the FSL. Dominated in fact. Sometimes it's the sample size.
    Valaika hit like crap his first go around. He hit very well his second time in the league. Fact is, the FSL doesn't allow too many guys to hit there. When a legit prospect, and despite what half of Redszone wants to think, Drew Stubbs is indeed that, holds his own in the FSL its viewed as quite a good thing.

Valaika hit like crap his first go around. He hit very well his second time in the league. Fact is, the FSL doesn't allow too many guys to hit there. When a legit prospect, and despite what half of Redszone wants to think, Drew Stubbs is indeed that, holds his own in the FSL its viewed as quite a good thing.
    Nothing against Stubbs who is likely going to be a major leaguer because true centerfielders with decent on base skills are valuable.

But isn't it odd that his offensive performance is always excused by some external factor -- injury, the league. It's always something.

Reality -- guy is a good centerfield prospect who shows good on base skills but developing major league hitting ability is proving to be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    It looks like Gil is replacing Bruce in Louisville.
    That's interesting. When the change in GM's came and he went to the lookouts and didn't play for a couple of days, I just figured he was gone.

I suspect he needs to hit and hit now in order to have any kind of career.

I'm glad somebody else brought up Maloney. That way I didn't have to do it.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Turn Off Ads?