Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Did Walt "fail" today?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm done with the Reds until he's gone

2 2.56%
  • Yes, but he's got another chance

15 19.23%
  • No, but he missed a big chance to send a message

10 12.82%
  • No, but he has to improve this club by Sring Training

33 42.31%
  • No, the other boys wouldn;t play fair

7 8.97%
  • No, the Reds are fine with what they have (I like Pat and I'll stand there)

11 14.10%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Walt "Fail" Today

Did Walt "Fail" Today

What is your criteria for failing?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Did Walt "Fail" Today

I will answer your question. No. Buying teams really had to overpay this season for the most part. I think to get top-notch guys it would have been ugly when it came to who the Reds had to give up. (And Mesoraco was not untouchable for me)

Now there is another argument to be had whether long-term, has Walt done enough, but that was not the question.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I will answer your question. No. Buying teams really had to overpay this season for the most part. I think to get top-notch guys it would have been ugly when it came to who the Reds had to give up. (And Mesoraco was not untouchable for me)

Now there is another argument to be had whether long-term, has Walt done enough, but that was not the question.
    Good point and maybe I over-lapped them too much. I went with number four but could have gone with number three.

Agree with this to the tee. Not thrilled with Walt's tenure so far, but coughing up enormous packages for one player is not smart management in a market like Cincy.

Thats the way I see it.There's not one of those trades that I would have emptied the farm for including Jiminez.Now I would have pushed a bit if we could have gotten Tampa to part with Shields and Upton but that didn't happen.I'm also glad they didn't trade Alonzo yet as I think this guy is going to be a hitter.Whether he can play leftfield or not remains a question,but I would like to see him get the chance to find out.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'd vote, but there's no poll choice for "I don't know, because I don't know what deals he passed up."

The Tribe overpayed for Ubaldo, no doubt. But how did the Phillies overpay for Hunter Pence, who could have helped this club considerably this year and next.

I reluctantly voted 'no but he must improve the club by spring training'.

There was only one player that was traded I would have really liked for the Reds. The price for that player was steep and my not have been beatable by Walt without dealing Cueto or Leake.

I don't know what it would have taken to get Jiminez but the price the Tribe paid was considerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    The Tribe overpayed for Ubaldo, no doubt. But how did the Phillies overpay for Hunter Pence, who could have helped this club considerably this year and next.
    2 top 50 prospects plus some, and I don't think the Reds could comfortably add his 25 million or so payroll the next 2 years.

2 top 50 prospects plus some, and I don't think the Reds could comfortably add his 25 million or so payroll the next 2 years.
    Even with Cordero and Hernandez off the books, the jump in attendance and Bruce signed to a club-friendly contract for the next seven years?

The Reds already got burned badly going the cheap route this year (Gomes, Lewis, Janish, Renteria) instead of upgrading. I don't really want to do that again.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I want to say yes, but not because he didn't add someone, but because he didn't trade free agents to be.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Even with Cordero and Hernandez off the books, the jump in attendance and Bruce signed to a club-friendly contract for the next seven years?
    Paying top dollar in terms of money and propsects for a LF who will give us great defense and a .800 or so OPS makes zero sense for the short or long term success of the Reds.

As a hitter he's pretty similiar to Phillips in style and results.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I want to say yes, but not because he didn't add someone, but because he didn't trade free agents to be.
    This. Reality says there is little chance this year. But hope can still put some butts in the seats for the remainder of the season.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    This. Reality says there is little chance this year. But hope can still put some butts in the seats for the remainder of the season.
    I've got a feeling that watching the younsters might be what fans find exciting and may also be the best manner to jumpstart this team. I don't think playing Cozart and Frazier are necessarily giving up on winning by any means.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-31-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, he did dump Gomes.
    Cordero was probably immovable.

I'm guessing Walt might want to leave the door open to bringing back Hernandez again next year.. Then again, if we can't get a prospect that's worth getting, why trade him..

Gomes got marginal talent back, but we had Heisey and Alsono to backfill his playing time. Maybe Walt doesn't want to bring up Mes yet and doesn't want to bring Corky up.. Keeping Hernadez is not a tragedy.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?