Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Heisey now the incumbent?

Re: Is Heisey now the incumbent?

Heisey has outplayed Stubbs. At some point in Baker's pecking order, meritocracy has to win out. I hope.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Heisey has a .772 OPS, .777 career OPS and a .750 OPS as a starter. Time to keep this guy in CF as far as I'm concerned. At least until Hamilton is ready or they acquire a one-year bridge next season.
    And when his Babip normalizes?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Agree

Chris Heisey and his legions of fans drive me crazy(not aimed at anyone on this board). His walk rate is 3.8%, he is a hacker, who has gotten hot. I appreciate the fact that he is currently hot, and you should ride a hot bat, as long as it is hot. I hate his swing first approach, and that his defense is adequate at best. I hate his throwing style, and really just wish I didn't have to listen to fans call into radio shows, begging for more.

The Reds are 38-30 in games he starts.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

No offense, but your posts about Heisey are starting to remind me of TRF and his posts about Stubbs in the past. Except, Heisey has actually proven more at this point than Stubbs had then.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Agree

Chris Heisey and his legions of fans drive me crazy(not aimed at anyone on this board). His walk rate is 3.8%, he is a hacker, who has gotten hot. I appreciate the fact that he is currently hot, and you should ride a hot bat, as long as it is hot. I hate his swing first approach, and that his defense is adequate at best. I hate his throwing style, and really just wish I didn't have to listen to fans call into radio shows, begging for more.

Perhaps his "legion of fans" recognize that Heisey's .330 obp is 40+ points better than Stubbs' .287. His slugging percentage is almost 100 points better. His defense grades out as just about even.

You may not like how he plays the game, but this legionnaire sees a guy 10-15 runs better than Drew Stubbs, given the same PT at the same position.

Agree

His current OPS is exactly like his career OPS in nearly 850 plate appearances. Isn't it more fair to say he hasn't gotten hot but rather that seems to be his talent level?

His OPS is 100 points better than Drew Stubbs. I honestly am not sure why you don't want more of that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

His BABIP and xBABIP are only about 20 points apart. So there's not a whole lot of normalization expected.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Perhaps his "legion of fans" recognize that Heisey's .330 obp is 40+ points better than Stubbs' .287. His slugging percentage is almost 100 points better. His defense grades out as just about even.

You may not like how he plays the game, but this legionnaire sees a guy 10-15 runs better than Drew Stubbs, given the same PT at the same position.
    You could not have made this argument two weeks ago. So when the guy is hitting nearly .500 over a two week span, you point to his current season numbers. His numbers were just plain putrid two weeks ago.

No offense to you, but on no plane of reality is Chris Heisey in Drew Stubbs class on defense. I have begun to just dismiss the defensive metrics, as flawed.

Chris Heisey, Jeff Keppinger, Ryan Freel, Chris Stynes, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

No offense to you, but on no plane of reality is Chris Heisey in Drew Stubbs class on defense. I have begun to just dismiss the defensive metrics, as flawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confirmation bias
    In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias (or confirmatory bias) is a tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions, leading to statistical errors.

Confirmation bias is a type of cognitive bias and represents an error of inductive inference toward confirmation of the hypothesis under study.
    Confirmation bias is a phenomenon wherein decision makers have been shown to actively seek out and assign more weight to evidence that confirms their hypothesis, and ignore or underweigh evidence that could disconfirm their hypothesis.
    Side note: I'm not an avid UZR supporter, but all the defensive metrics have Heisey in the ballpark of Stubbs, so even if we quarrel over the actual specific numbers they represent, they're not likely out of the ballpark in terms of qualitative labels.

I don't think Heisey is the answer to anything going forward. But for this season, Heisey > Stubbs, and should get the majority of the PT.

By the way, I have to chuckle at something I'm noticing here...

A few weeks ago, when people were calling for Heisey, the argument against was that if he got more time, he'd be 'exposed' with more playing time.

Now that he's gotten a little more playing time and he's on a hot streak, the argument is that he's benefiting mostly from a temporary hot streak while playing.

Darned if he does, darned if he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    No offense, but your posts about Heisey are starting to remind me of TRF and his posts about Stubbs in the past. Except, Heisey has actually proven more at this point than Stubbs had then.
    No offense taken.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Dusty's "benching" of JB possibly helped him kick start a hot streak. Hopefully this does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Side note: I'm not an avid UZR supporter, but all the defensive metrics have Heisey in the ballpark of Stubbs, so even if we quarrel over the actual specific numbers they represent, they're not likely out of the ballpark in terms of qualitative labels.
    Thanks for the definition of confirmation bias. I sure needed that. I shall now go back under my toadstool. When the bat cools, and that balls fall for hits, I get to wear the "I told you so" hat. I keep it next to my "I don't care what VORP says Jimenez isn't very good" hat.

Turn Off Ads?