Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Belisle is 'fired up' for 08

Senor Votto

Belisle is 'fired up' for 08

Belisle 'fired up' for '08 season
    Reds pitcher loves the addition of Baker and Cordero; says it's 'time to stop the losing.'

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Matt Belisle, in his words, "is fired up" for several reasons.

He is fired up about the number of zeros on his new Cincinnati Reds contract, which pays him $1.2 million.

He is fired up about his new manager, Dusty Baker, who called him a few days ago, "And that was awesome, because I've never had a manager call me before."

He is fired up because, "With Francisco Cordero on the back end, our bullpen is going to be so much better."

He is fired up because, "I'm getting better and better, and I've learned to leave out the stuff I don't need and leave in what works."

And he is fired up because, "All the teammates I've talked to are fired up, and we believe we can win, stop all this losing — and we know it is about time to stop the losing."

Baker and General Manager Wayne Krivsky both say a spot in the rotation, probably No. 3 or No. 4, is Belisle's spot to lose in spring training, but to Belisle that's a negative attitude, and he says, "It is my spot to win. I take nothing for granted."

And he shouldn't. With an 8-9 record and a 5.32 earned-run average in 30 starts last year, his name won't be found in any preseason evaluations as a possible Cy Young Award winner.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pound right-hander from Austin, Texas, said, "I'm not concerned about what spot I'm in in the rotation. I just know I'm getting better, and that's all I want right now — that and consistency. Every player wants consistency, and I haven't had it, and it's what I need."

Belisle said he had a long chat with pitching coach Dick Pole after last season, and the word used was consistency.

Belisle believes it is all going to start with Baker.

"We have Dusty at the front of the ship, a good team on the field, Cordero at the end of the bullpen," Belisle said. "I'm just totally fired up. Let's get started now."

Reds ink two veterans

On Friday, the Reds signed catcher Paul Bako and left-handed relief pitcher Scott Sauerbeck to minor-league camp with invitations to the big-league camp.

Bako was originally signed by the Reds as a No. 5 draft pick in 1993 and played 50 games with Baltimore last season after spending time with Detroit, Houston, Florida, Atlanta, Milwaukee, the Chicago Cubs, the Los Angeles Dodgers and Kansas City during his 10 seasons.

Sauerbeck, a Cincinnati native, graduated from Northwest High School and Miami University. He pitched in the minors last season, but in seven major-league seasons he has a 3.82 ERA in 471 relief appearances for Pittsburgh, Boston, Cleveland and Oakland.

Sauerbeck will compete with Mike Stanton, Bill Bray and Jon Coutlangus for left-handed bullpen spots, along with Jeremy Affeldt if his experiment as a starter blows up.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...20208reds.html
    Belisle has me fired up for the season after reading that. This guy really wants to win you can tell by his interviews. I hope he has a great year. He's got the stuff to be just as good as anyone on the Reds he just needs to be more consistant like he said. I can see him getting double digit wins this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Belisle is 'fired up' for 08

If belisle can improve significantly...I like the Reds chances of winning the division. He could provide them with a solid rotation spot if he pitches anywhere close to his "stuff" potential. Go Matt~!

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

This is Matt's year...I feel it.
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

He is fired up about his new manager, Dusty Baker, who called him a few days ago, "And that was awesome, because I've never had a manager call me before."
    Weird. I would have thought a manager would call each player at least once a month to check in and see how things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    Weird. I would have thought a manager would call each player at least once a month to check in and see how things are going.
    Not the Reds' managers. This is a good indication of Dusty's strengths compared to what we are used to.

As far as Belisle is concerned I hope his enthusiasm means he is getting ready for the season. Since we didn't get a #2 his performance this year will be most important.

How old is Belisle?

EDIT: Never mind. Just read on the other Belisle thread that he is 27.

That seems awfully young for all those who have written him off. I would say he should be putting it together about right now. Hopefully that happens this season.

i love the attitude, if nothing else you know he wants it! that goes a looong way for me.

I'm looking for big thing from Mr.Belisle ....I hope

Quote Originally Posted by XU Lou View Post
    Not the Reds' managers. This is a good indication of Dusty's strengths compared to what we are used to.

As far as Belisle is concerned I hope his enthusiasm means he is getting ready for the season. Since we didn't get a #2 his performance this year will be most important.
    Yea, we've been over Dusty's game managment and philosophies time and time again, but his players always seem to love him. Stuff like this is probably why.

As for Belisle I'm counting on him to have a solid year too. I'm gonna guess around 200 innings and a 4.75, and that would be really big for this team.

Turn Off Ads?