Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Interesting ESPN article on Pete Rose helping A-Rod

Interesting ESPN article on Pete Rose helping A-Rod

I ran across THIS article from ESPN:

Unlikelys BFFs..
    On the corner of Irrelevance and Oblivion sits Pete Rose. Baseball won't have him, but Las Vegas will, so he plops down in the far reaches of a designer mall, behind a rope, hawking the only thing he has left: himself.

He sits there every Thursday through Sunday, six hours at a time, signing balls, bats, photos, jerseys and jokes. For $199, he'll sign: "Hits-4,256, Steroids-0." For $299, he'll sign: "Sorry I Bet On Baseball." And if you ask politely, he might even write: "Sorry I Shot JFK" or "Sorry I Broke Up The Beatles."

Pete Rose and Alex Rodriguez discuss their unique relationship on "Outside the Lines."

The mall is almost always bustling, and stragglers are herded toward Rose's booth -- inside the memorabilia store Field of Dreams -- by a pseudo-ringmaster: Come meet Pete Rose, riiiiiight here, riiiiiight now. Baseball's all-time hit leader is riiiiiight here, riiiiiight now. Come on in, we can set you up with Charlie Hustle. Step right up. Pete Rose! If it smacks of desperation, that's because it is. But the crowds are mesmerized by the old pro, by his bulbous nose, by his snakeskin boots, by the words "Hit King" embroidered on his shirt collar.

He talks to everyone. He'll ask the tourists from Chicago, "Cubbies or White Sox?" And he'll listen to all the stories they tell. One day, a 40-something Reds fan said, "Remember me, Pete? Back in '71, one of your games was rained out, and I had to walk home from Riverfront Stadium. And you stopped in your Corvette and gave me a ride."
    Pete's priceless reaction was: "I did? Well, if I ain't got Alzheimer's, I'm pretty sure I got Sometimers."

Inevitably, the gushing will stop, and a bored Hit King will avert his eyes to a 19-inch TV on his table. He'll flip the channels, looking for a ballgame. Damn, nothing beats a ballgame. When he's home in Sherman Oaks, Calif., he watches East Coast games, Central time zone games, then West Coast games. Maybe he has got raging bets on all of them, but he says no. He says he just can't get enough, that he wishes he could get closer to baseball than a TV and a Sharpie, that he'd sell his soul to be able to manage today's ballplayers.

Over the years, some of these players have sauntered in to see him. Roger Clemens has stopped by to pose for pictures, as have Frank Thomas, Jim Edmonds, David Eckstein, Jimmy Rollins and Gary Matthews Jr.
    Rollins asked, "Pete, what's the most hits you ever got in a season?"
    "Um, 230," Rose said.
    "How'd you do that?" Rollins asked.
    "Saw ball, hit ball," Rose said....
    The rest of the article is HERE.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Interesting ESPN article on Pete Rose helping A-Rod

That was a good read. It made me think more highly of both of them.

It also made me wonder what Pete could do for the hitting of the Reds corner outfielders.
    /r/reds

I'd love for Pete to start texting Alonso

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

mbgrayson:
    I really enjoyed the article. Thanks for sharing.

A Pete Rose fan for life,
    ---RedRoser

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Lots of support for Pete in the ESPN conversation

A-Rod: 'Pete Rose Sent Me Sexually Inappropriate Text Messages'

NEW YORK—A visibly distressed Alex Rodriguez announced Tuesday that controversial baseball figure Pete Rose has sent him dozens of scandalous text messages containing sexual innuendo, salacious encouragement, and obscene batting pointers. The Yankees third baseman, who has been texting with MLB's all-time hits leader for two years, said the messages included such remarks as "Nice stroke Big Rod, feels good," "You're so hot, keep it up for me," "Way to connect," and "Find a hole and just grind it. Grind it. Grind it. Harder." "I guess it helped my hitting, at least at first," Rodriguez said. "But eventually I realized what was happening... I can't believe Pete Rose would betray my trust like that." According to Rodriguez, the latest text message from Rose read "I wish I had you when I was managing the Reds—had you inside me."

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...e_rose_sent_me

All dyslexics must untie!

I wonder if Pete knows any details re: A-Rod's late-night Madonna visits?

Or if Rose told A-Rod not to participate in the HR derby?
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    A-Rod: 'Pete Rose Sent Me Sexually Inappropriate Text Messages'

NEW YORK—A visibly distressed Alex Rodriguez announced Tuesday that controversial baseball figure Pete Rose has sent him dozens of scandalous text messages containing sexual innuendo, salacious encouragement, and obscene batting pointers. The Yankees third baseman, who has been texting with MLB's all-time hits leader for two years, said the messages included such remarks as "Nice stroke Big Rod, feels good," "You're so hot, keep it up for me," "Way to connect," and "Find a hole and just grind it. Grind it. Grind it. Harder." "I guess it helped my hitting, at least at first," Rodriguez said. "But eventually I realized what was happening... I can't believe Pete Rose would betray my trust like that." According to Rodriguez, the latest text message from Rose read "I wish I had you when I was managing the Reds—had you inside me."

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...e_rose_sent_me
    I love the Onion. Very funny....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Turn Off Ads?