Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry Larkin on Miguel Rojas

Barry Larkin on Miguel Rojas

From C. Trent's morning notes:

He mentioned, in particular, shortstop Miguel Rojas, "he's special," Larkin said.

I'd heard from Todd Benzinger on the caravan that Rojas could play, defensively, in the big leagues right now and be one of the best in the game. Larkin didn't disagree.

Larkin told a story that the other day he was working on a drill with Rojas and the youngster just couldn't get it. Well, the next day Larkin comes out at 8:30 when he was scheduled to work with some of the young players. Larkin looks out and the field isn't pristine like it usually is in the morning. He asks one of the coaches if the groundskeeper had missed the field. Nope, Rojas was out at 7:30 perfecting the drill. When Larkin got with him again, he "owned that drill."
    http://cnati.com/blogs/ctrent/2010/0...reds-31810.php

He also tweeted this:

Larkin also said Billy Hamilton has "game-changing speed"

http://twitter.com/cnatist10

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Barry Larkin on Miguel Rojas

Larkin told a story that the other day he was working on a drill with Rojas and the youngster just couldn't get it. Well, the next day Larkin comes out at 8:30 when he was scheduled to work with some of the young players. Larkin looks out and the field isn't pristine like it usually is in the morning. He asks one of the coaches if the groundskeeper had missed the field. Nope, Rojas was out at 7:30 perfecting the drill. When Larkin got with him again, he "owned that drill."
    The anecdotes about Rojas' work ethic are starting to pile up. I like the kid's chances.

CTrent gets some good stuff, doesn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    CTrent gets some good stuff, doesn't he?
    Yes indeed. He does an excellent job.

Its amazing what a writer with some ability to think can get out of people. I think C. Trent is a tool but hes the best tool Cincy fans have.

Rojas doesn't ring a bell to me..when did we sign him? Or was he drafted?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Rojas doesn't ring a bell to me..when did we sign him? Or was he drafted?
    Signed him in 2005. Shortstop in Dayton last year. Best defnesive shortstop in our system that is full of good defensive shortstops. I have heard some Reds employees say he has the best hands they have ever seen, and they don't mean in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Signed him in 2005. Shortstop in Dayton last year. Best defnesive shortstop in our system that is full of good defensive shortstops. I have heard some Reds employees say he has the best hands they have ever seen, and they don't mean in the minors.
    What about the bat?

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    What about the bat?
    He makes a lot of contact, but he has next to no power and he won't get it in the future. He could eventually be a .280 hitter though with plus plus defense if things develop correctly for him, but his bat will never be his calling card.

He makes a lot of contact, but he has next to no power and he won't get it in the future. He could eventually be a .280 hitter though with plus plus defense if things develop correctly for him, but his bat will never be his calling card.
    I have not seen him. Do you think he can be a .280/.340OBA guy who might fit in the 2 hole with some base stealing/hit and run skills or is it more likely his lack of power will cause pitchers to go after him and not walk him meaning you have a #8 hitter.

.280 hitter with plus plus defense has some value. I remember the Cardinals used to have a guy like that. His name escapes me though.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I have not seen him. Do you think he can be a .280/.340OBA guy who might fit in the 2 hole with some base stealing/hit and run skills or is it more likely his lack of power will cause pitchers to go after him and not walk him meaning you have a #8 hitter.

.280 hitter with plus plus defense has some value. I remember the Cardinals used to have a guy like that. His name escapes me though.
    He is probably a 7/8 hitter. I am not sure he will be able to walk 50 times a year because pitchers will likely just feed him strikes once he gets to a level where guys can throw strikes when they want to consistently. You can watch him hit below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFcWA4gzPZI

Sounds like a lot like Alcides Escobar.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

C'mon, the guy has .606 career OPS and doesn't have Escobar's range. Soft hands are nice but you have to get to the ball. Rojas looks like a solid utility infielder at best.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    C'mon, the guy has .606 career OPS and doesn't have Escobar's range. Soft hands are nice but you have to get to the ball. Rojas looks like a solid utility infielder at best.
    Who says he can't get to the ball? Everything I've read on him says he has great range. Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus describes him as having range to both sides, smooth actions, a good arm, and remarkable fundamentals.

I'm just saying compared to Escobar. When people are throwing out names like Escobar or even Ozzie Smith (!?) I think it's time for people to come back down to earth.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 03-19-2010 at 04:30 PM.

We honestly cant be talking Alcidies Escobar

Turn Off Ads?