The following players have been signed:

Chris Richburg, 23rd round
    Derrick Lowery, 24th round
    Vernon Manz, 26th round
    William Stramp, 33rd round
    Oh-Shoot-The-Billings-Season-Starts-WHEN??!! signings

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2009 Reds draft signings

Would've thought they'd have had at least a dozne more signed by now - have them in place for a couple of workouts before the games start.

Instead of a dozen they have 16 signed after a week and a half. Once the college teams stop playing the pace should start to, hopefully, pick up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Instead of a dozen they have 16 signed after a week and a half. Once the college teams stop playing the pace should start to, hopefully, pick up a little.
    I meant about a dozen more - as in about 25-27 in the mid-to-late rounds

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I meant about a dozen more - as in about 25-27 in the mid-to-late rounds
    They will probably only sign about 30 guys total.

I believe the Reds signed 34 of their picks from last year.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Heard from my friend at work that Thomas Nurre (38th round out of Miami Ohio / St. X HS) signed this week.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Barnhart expects to sign with Reds
    Posted by Patrick Dorsey

It's not official yet, but Brownsburg standout baseball player Tucker Barnhart -- a Georgia Tech signee who was drafted in the 10th round (299th overall) last week by the Cincinnati Reds -- said Wednesday that he plans to sign a contract and start his pro career as quickly as possible.

"Playing professional baseball has always been my dream," Barnhart said. "I sat down, and I talked to my family and we just felt that it was the best time to do that.

"My take on it is college is always going to be there. The opportunity to get an education is always going to be there, regardless of (whether) I play baseball now professionally, or if I play in three years professionally."

Barnhart expects the signing to take place later this month or in early July, since his deal is above-slot (he was "not exactly sure" of a dollar figure but said it was third- or fourth-round money) and therefore must be approved by the Major League Baseball commissioner's office.

After that, Barnhart likely will head to the Reds' Low-A affiliate in Sarasota, Fla. He said he will remain at catcher, at least for now.

He also said he hasn't envisioned his MLB debut just yet, although he hopes it comes in the uniform of the (semi) local team.

"I'd sure like to make it at home for the Cincinnati Reds," Barnhart said. "That would be awesome."

Former teammate Drew Storen also was drafted, going 10th overall to the Washington Nationals and signing a day later.

http://blogs.indystar.com/preps/arch...rt_expect.html
    I'm very suprised.

I was told by his HS coach that unless he was drafted by the 6th round that he was going to go to Georgia Tech.

I've seen him play first hand, he is a gamer!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I'm very suprised.

I was told by his HS coach that unless he was drafted by the 6th round that he was going to go to Georgia Tech.

If he's getting third or fourth round money, who cares where he was actually drafted?

I like this pick. Send him to the GCL and Fleury to Dayton (if he signs in the next couple weeks.) All of a sudden the catching depth is looking a little better, at least in the lower minors.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If he's getting third or fourth round money, who cares where he was actually drafted?

I like this pick. Send him to the GCL and Fleury to Dayton (if he signs in the next couple weeks.) All of a sudden the catching depth is looking a little better, at least in the lower minors.
    I'm suprised the Reds gave him third or fourth round money.

I am far from a MLB draft expert, but I kinda thought giving a 10th round pick third or fourth round money would be outta the norm, especially for a tight fisted organization like the Reds.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I am far from a MLB draft expert, but I kinda thought giving a 10th round pick third or fourth round money would be outta the norm, especially for a tight fisted organization like the Reds.
    This is not the NFL draft, players are drafted all over the place in terms of talent. Just because he was a 10th round selection does not make him a 10th round talent. So no, it is not uncommon for lower budget teams to give bigger money in the later rounds, in fact it is quite common.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think you have the wrong idea on the Reds and how they spend on development. The Reds over the last year and a half at least have really spent on signing players.

Baseball America is carrying Oliver Santos, Thomas Nurre, and Blair Carson as signed.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Baseball America is carrying Oliver Santos, Thomas Nurre, and Blair Carson as signed.
    I updated the original post...thanks.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'm very suprised.

Wow, this is huge. It's like getting an extra third or fourth round pick instead of a 10th-rounder. And my goodness we need catching depth.

Turn Off Ads?