Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Disney to remake "The Black Hole"

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Disney to remake "The Black Hole"

Saw this posted on the interwebs today -- this was one of my favorite movies growing up. My parents taped it off HBO for me, and I think I watched the tape until it wore out.

The science in this movie was absolutely daft (it seems no one involved with the original had even a passing familiarity with the concept of gravity or space flight), the acting was wooden, and the film jumped back and forth between a brooding, moody sci-fi and a satruday matinee kids feature. But, even watching it today, there's still a lot of cool stuff that kind of begs for a re-imagination or re-make.

I dunno -- maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I kinda hope they get this one right. Could be pretty cool.

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2009/1...team.html#more

'Tron: Legacy' team mount a 'Black Hole' remake

Disney is preparing another expedition into “The Black Hole.”

Joseph Kosinski and Sean Bailey, the director and producer of Disney’s new “Tron: Legacy,” and scribe Travis Beacham are teaming up for what is being labeled a reinvention of the 1979 sci-fi film, which at the time was the most expensive movie Disney had ever produced.

“Hole” marks one of the first projects to be put into development by new studio chief Rich Ross.

The original followed a group of space explorers aboard the USS Palomino who come across a lost ship, the USS Cygnus, hovering outside a black hole. Inside the Cygnus, the explorers meet a scientist, commanding an army of faceless robots, who explains his crew deserted him as he planned to go through the black hole. The explorers soon discover that the robots are the remnants of the former crew and that the scientist has no intention of letting them leave.

The $26 million movie, which featured a menacing red robot named Maximilian and two smaller, friendlier robots, was Disney’s first PG-rated production and helped put the company on the special effects map.

The details of the update are being kept secret, though the take does involve grounding the story in the science of a black hole, much more so than in the original. Maximilian also would return.

Brigham Taylor and Casey Wolfe are overseeing for Disney. Matt Smith and Justin Springer are shepherding for Idealogy.

“Hole” puts Bailey, who is making “Hole” via his Idealogy cq’d banner, back on track after seeing his “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea” project shelved by Ross shortly after the November reorganization at Disney.

Kosinski, repped by WME and Anonymous, is a commercial director making his feature debut with “Tron,” which is set for release on Dec. 17, 2010. Disney is high on the movie, which could launch a franchise. It is unknown where “Hole” would fit in Kosinski’s timetable.

Beacham, also repped by WME and Anonymous, came onto the screenwriting scene with “Killing on Carnival Row” and worked on the “Clash of the Titans” remake.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Disney to remake "The Black Hole"

The Battlestar Galactica remake has everyone taking a second look at all the crappy sci-fi movies that came out after Star Wars.

I rented Tron about a year ago. I remember being disappointed by it as a kid. My opinion hasn't changed.

High five!

The fiction in "the Black Hole" was pretty daft too. It was a dreadful movie.

I worked at the Mariemont theater for the black hole and Battlestar, both were insufferable and there for at least 3 months each. We ripped the back rows out for the sense around, it was painful, damn thing shook the whole building.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Tron did spawn one of the greatest video games of all time. I want to buy one of the old arcade consoles ofr the house.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Yep, I tried to watch it a few months ago because I had fond childhood memories of it being one of my first movie theater experiences. Big mistake. Horrid movie.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I rented Tron about a year ago. I remember being disappointed by it as a kid. My opinion hasn't changed.
    As a computer programmer at the time, Tron was AWESOME... but it was pretty much all inside jokes, not the story or the acting, just the inside jokes... LOL Watching it later, when the technology had aged some it was still meh... but not as fun as it was before.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Tron was laughable, but the Black Hole was simply boring. I did get a charge of seeing Maximillian puree Anthony Perkins' insides, even though no gore was shown. But that was it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

Yeah. The title was appropriate. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The bad part is, the Black Hole concept is fascinating and has great Hollywood potential. I watched a very interesting documentary on the subject recently. Not saying I bought all the science, but it was certainly intriguing science.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Saw this posted on the interwebs today -- this was one of my favorite movies growing up. My parents taped it off HBO for me, and I think I watched the tape until it wore out.

The science in this movie was absolutely daft (it seems no one involved with the original had even a passing familiarity with the concept of gravity or space flight), the acting was wooden, and the film jumped back and forth between a brooding, moody sci-fi and a satruday matinee kids feature. But, even watching it today, there's still a lot of cool stuff that kind of begs for a re-imagination or re-make.

I dunno -- maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I kinda hope they get this one right. Could be pretty cool.

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2009/1...team.html#more
    Did you have the Hans Reinhart action figure?

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Pretty weird that Disney would remake a pretty bad adult film shown in Times Square for such a short run.

My foggy memory recalls a pretty bad storyline, terrible acting, and a cliched climax.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Did you have the Hans Reinhart action figure?

Can Hans wear those pants any higher?

I had a Harry Booth doll- I think it was a character played by Ernest Borgnine, which is just all sorts of wrong.

Turn Off Ads?