Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fay update on Homer Bailey with quotes from Terry Reynolds

Re: Fay update on Homer Bailey with quotes from Terry Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    But hasn't most of Bailey's bad PR stemed from Hal McCoy?
    Yea I think Hal even had a little diddy about Bailey today. It is really a shame that a so called "HOF" writer takes it to personally take shots at Bailey whenever possible. It is even more disturbing because Hal is 3+ hours away from where Bailey has pitched the majority of the games.

Hal has to get it through his head that Bailey's personality may be that of an introvert. He may not like talking to the media. He may like to go about his job and then retire for the evening. Heck Bailey has even caught flak because he as a 21 year old has been seen in bars. I don't think Bailey has to grow up as much as Hal needs to set his ego aside and start reporting the story not making the story.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea I think Hal even had a little diddy about Bailey today. It is really a shame that a so called "HOF" writer takes it to personally take shots at Bailey whenever possible. It is even more disturbing because Hal is 3+ hours away from where Bailey has pitched the majority of the games.

Hal has to get it through his head that Bailey's personality may be that of an introvert. He may not like talking to the media. He may like to go about his job and then retire for the evening. Heck Bailey has even caught flak because he as a 21 year old has been seen in bars. I don't think Bailey has to grow up as much as Hal needs to set his ego aside and start reporting the story not making the story.
    Hal took an absolute cheap shot at Bailey today for no reason. This was from todays DDN about last nights CINCINNATI REDS game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal McCoy
    Paul Janish, a great kid, is here. Jay Bruce, a great kid, is here. Homer Bailey is not here. And notice I didn’t use the word great.

You wonder, just wonder, now that he has seen Janish and Bruce leave Louisville, along with Andy Phillips, can Bailey just adjust his attitude and work ethic, show some spunk instead of snarkiness and get himself up here.

It was no accident that Bruce got pie-faced and water soaked by his teammates after his debut and hardly any teammate paid attention when Bailey was here last year. Bruce is well-liked. Bailey is aloof. A loner. There is a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hal took an absolute cheap shot at Bailey today for no reason. This was from todays DDN about last nights CINCINNATI REDS game.
    Hal must have missed the same pie in the face routine when Bailey got his first win. Hal must feel like a big man. Hal, Seg, and the 1530 guys, are poisoning the well in regards to Homer. The kid is young, lay off.

Lance had one of the baseballprospectus guys on yesterday, and he basically said the same thing: He needs time, was rushed, and now the luster seems to have worn off. But the stuff is still there. He just needs to focus.

The weather has heated up, I think Homer will follow suit.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Wow, did Homer run over Hal's dog or something?

That last snippet from McCoy about Bailey is ridiculous and petty.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Hal must have missed the same pie in the face routine when Bailey got his first win. Hal must feel like a big man. Hal, Seg, and the 1530 guys, are poisoning the well in regards to Homer. The kid is young, lay off.
    Hal is coming off as quite petty IMO. Sad to see how far he has fallen off in the last 5 years or so.

GL

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    Wow, did Homer run over Hal's dog or something?
    I think not only did Homer run over Hal's dog, but he must have backed up and ran over it repeatedly. Hal is being ridiculous.

That last snippet from McCoy about Bailey is ridiculous and petty.
    Unprofessional too.

Wow, that just screams National Enquirer Hal. This has gone way, way, way past the point were its just a mear mention/side note. This has become personal for whatever reason. I understand why a sports writer could allow his like/dislike for a person to seep into his writing, but this is beyond silly.

Seriously. This has crossed over to a needless and senseless vendetta. Even if Homer Bailey is the world's biggest jerk, there is just no good reason for unprovoked potshots at him from McCoy. None.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-29-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Bailey's biggest problem is that he may not be first on the list to take over for Belisle. The competition now seems to have three guys and that can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Bailey's biggest problem is that he may not be first on the list to take over for Belisle. The competition now seems to have three guys and that can only be a good thing.
    I don't think it even goes that far. If Bailey is described as a loner there is nothing you can do about nor is there anything wrong with that. There are millions of people in this world who like being by themselves. It shouldn't be a hindrance on Bailey being a great baseball player if he isn't outgoing, is it?

I like McCoy's analysis, but this is the cheapshot of the year, I just lost a lot of respect for the guy. A little research Hal and you couldve found that photo gonelong posted, good god.

thorn

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't think it even goes that far. If Bailey is described as a loner there is nothing you can do about nor is there anything wrong with that. There are millions of people in this world who like being by themselves. It shouldn't be a hindrance on Bailey being a great baseball player if he isn't outgoing, is it?

That's not the point, at least to me. The questions is does his attitude hinder his development. If it does then he needs and attitude adjustment, if it doesn't then leave him alone. Regardless, those are some cheap shots better left unprinted.

I think the problem is why is Bailey struggling? Alot of people feel betrayed by Bailey and it is showing more and more. His 68I's in AA don't support what he has failed to do in AAA. The Reds obviously have given him medical tests by now and they must not have shown anything.

So we are seeing allegations of poor attitude and fire. I have already gotten into arguements over his bad partying habits, but those rumors are hardly new.

I think if Bailey's struggles were more major league related, you wouldn't see the anger. But the fact he struggles in Triple A is getting on peoples nerves bigtime.

As I have said 1000 times, it is all velocity related with Homer. When he was throwing in AA, it was pretty much mid-90's consistantly. Some games he was throwing 94-98 throughout his entire start. Since he has been in AAA he has struggled to reach those velocities consistantly. when he has been around them more, his numbers, obviously have been his better starts.

With less velocity, Homer can't just overpower hitters. Yet, he still grooves in pitches and they get hit hard. Then he starts nibbling because of it and he walks alot of batters. It sounds like Homer earlier in the year was throwing a bit harder and getting away with more positional outs. The last 6-7 starts his velocity has dipped down to the low 90's which describes my above thesis.

So we get the "anger" that Bailey is holding back and pitching like he doesn't care. Not the first, or last time we will hear that until Bailey confirms or something else is brought up that proves that hunch was wrong.

Turn Off Ads?