Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long till Janish/Valaika?

Ya can't teach speed...

Re: How long till Janish/Valaika?

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    I would hope they take a SS, usually every team takes at least 1 in the draft.
    I can't recall the last time the Reds didn't take several SS in the draft; including at least one in the top rounds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I don't mean to sound like Falls City Beer, but I just trust what my eyes see when it comes to Zach Cozart.
    What is it you think you see? I haven't seen him, but his bat was a question mark heading into the draft and normally I'd be looking for either plus bat speed or extreme patience as an indicator that a guy could rebound from what Cozart displayed last year. I'm under the impression Cozart offers neither.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    What is it you think you see? I haven't seen him, but his bat was a question mark heading into the draft and normally I'd be looking for either plus bat speed or extreme patience as an indicator that a guy could rebound from what Cozart displayed last year. I'm under the impression Cozart offers neither.
    His bat speed isn't necessarily anything special, and his patience is actually kind of bad, but I really like his mechanics. He doesn't seem to have the best judge of the strike zone nor exceptional pitch recognition skills, but when he makes contact, he hits the ball where it was pitched. Unfortunately, he wasn't blessed with much power, so I don't think you'll see him get too many extra base hits, but I think he'll get more than his fair share of sharply-hit singles with some doubles in the gaps for good measure. I think BABIP will be the tale of his offense.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 12-03-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If he stays in Dayton long (which I assume he will) several of us should get a good hard long look at him. I know I will be watching intently.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Chris Valaika has been listed in the Top 20 for the Hawaii Winter League. Here is a 'fair use' portion of the BA article:
    12. CHRIS VALAIKA, SS/2B
    North Shore (Reds)

After playing shortstop over the course of his first full season which he finished in high Class A, the 2006 third-round pick reported to Hawaii, where he moved over to second base. His below-average foot speed limited his range at short, and the move was not unexpected. At second base, Valaika showed good actions and range to either side, along with good pivots on double plays. His arm strength is more than adequate for the position and he could profile as an everyday player because of his bat. Valaika has quick hands and strong wrists that produce line drives to all fields, and he has above-average pop for a middle infielder.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    I can't recall the last time the Reds didn't take several SS in the draft; including at least one in the top rounds
    I would think they do this because SS and CF are usually the best and most athletic positions on the diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Chris Valaika has been listed in the Top 20 for the Hawaii Winter League. Here is a 'fair use' portion of the BA article:
    12. CHRIS VALAIKA, SS/2B
    North Shore (Reds)

After playing shortstop over the course of his first full season which he finished in high Class A, the 2006 third-round pick reported to Hawaii, where he moved over to second base. His below-average foot speed limited his range at short, and the move was not unexpected. At second base, Valaika showed good actions and range to either side, along with good pivots on double plays. His arm strength is more than adequate for the position and he could profile as an everyday player because of his bat. Valaika has quick hands and strong wrists that produce line drives to all fields, and he has above-average pop for a middle infielder.
    Yeah I think if he learns some patience he could be the answer at 2nd if and when BP becomes a FA. However how good can he be defensively w/ some range issues. Is he a RH version of Todd Walker if he learns that patience? I think that's his upside, but I hope that he has at least a bit more range.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    12. CHRIS VALAIKA, SS/2B
    North Shore (Reds)

That profiles almost as a 3/4 version of Jeff Kent and if that is the case whoa that would be wonderful dilemma for the Red's.

I personally want Brandon Phillips as a Red for a lo0ng long time but this is nice back up or nice trading fodder if he lives up to the above stated projection
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Move Phillips to short

The Reds take lots of SS - but almost all project better somewhere else. Same for most teams. SS at the ML level requires at least a tad of footspeed but especially quick reactions, agility to twist and turn and a strong arm. Most guys outgrow the position bulk wise. If they have the arm and reaction time they move to third. If they have agility but less arm they move to second. Most of the others wind up in the OF if their bat can support it. Janish and Cozart can't hit (although I'm willing to give Cozart the edge because he's just starting out). Valaika is a second baseman. Frazier is a third baseman. They guy I know little about except reports is Neftali Soto. It sure appears he has the bat but I think I read he's also projected to eventually move from SS.

Turn Off Ads?