Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Cueto and Volquez move into the "spring training" starting rotation

Re: Cueto and Volquez move into the "spring training" starting rotation

"That changeup is his best pitch," Valentin said. "He had it today. He's got four pitches he can throw anytime [and] he's not afraid to use them."
    Javy, what happened to "bullpen or whatever"?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    These two are going to be really, really fun to watch this year.
    The most telling part of that statement is the fact that "these two" doesn't include one Ball Four Bailey.

But yes, you're right. Volquez and Cueto are the two best young pitchers in the Reds system, and they sure will be fun as heck to watch this season.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    The most telling part of that statement is the fact that "these two" doesn't include one Ball Four Bailey.
    Bailey's problem seems to be in his head.

If that is truly the case, then I can't think of a better "pull it out of there" message than him seeing two other prospects blow by him on the depth chart.

I think "BB" Bailey will be ready to go by late-June and, if that's the case, will be in prime position to give this team a fresh shot in the arm when it might need it most.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Bailey's problem seems to be in his head.
    I'm not so sure about that. He's 21. He needs to add polish to all of his pitches, develop more consistent mechanics, discover how best to deploy his arsenal and (especially) get stronger.

He's a boy. Not being a man or a hyperprodigy isn't in his head, it's a fact of life.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Already have the VCR set for 1 PM tomorrow afternoon to see Cueto...does anyone know if the rotation has been set through next Saturday against the Astros???...I'm able to go see them if Cueto's turn is up again (shouldn't it be???)...

Have passionately rooted for this team for 35+ years...I have never been more excited about young pitching for this team as I am now...I remember liking Zachary and Acala...LaCoss and Pastore...Soto and Berenyi...Rijo and Browning...you get the picture...time will tell but when all of us recognize that the dearth of quality arms has doomed this franchise for this decade, it's exciting to read and see the potential...of course Dusty scares the bee-jeezees out of me, but that's for discussion down the road...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I think Cueto threw a grand total of 19 innings of winter league ball. THAT's why he's been dominating? Seriously? 19 innings? I mean, seriously?
    Yep, seriously. That 19I's had Cueto more tuned up for the season. After one tuneup outing, he was ready to go. Volquez has gotten stronger each start as well. Dusty meant what he said. Homer is taking a long time to get ready and get going. Not unexpected from him and the Reds don't see to be a bit surprised.

That harder use earlier in the year, however, can lead to fatigue quicker. It will be interesting if Cueto can be successfull in the 5th/6th innings.

Volquez will be 25 this year. He can handle Dusty's "ways". Cueto IMO can't.
    Last edited by Aronchis; 03-16-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    there is no reason to be more worried about Volquez's innings than Cueto's. Volquez threw 178.2 innings last year and he is also two and a half years older...
    Maybe, but Volquez pitched 187.1 innings in 2007...
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Yep, seriously. That 19I's had Cueto more tuned up for the season. After one tuneup outing, he was ready to go. Volquez has gotten stronger each start as well. Dusty meant what he said. Homer is taking a long time to get ready and get going. Not unexpected from him and the Reds don't see to be a bit surprised.

That harder use earlier in the year, however, can lead to fatigue quicker. It will be interesting if Cueto can be successfull in the 5th/6th innings.
    So we've gone from "Cueto must be in the bullpen" to "we'll see how he does in the 5th/6th innings." Keep back peddling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So we've gone from "Cueto must be in the bullpen" to "we'll see how he does in the 5th/6th innings." Keep back peddling.
    What back peddling? I don't think he will succeed in the 5th/6th inning and would rather have him in the pen. That is what I meant I want to see it, wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    How can Dusty say this and then fail to appreciate it when his own players do it offensively? Seems that walks and deep counts are a failure of the pitcher, not a success of the hitter to Dusty. Interesting.
    Dusty being Dusty?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Please take the personal stuff off the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    I don't think he will succeed in the 5th/6th inning and would rather have him in the pen.
    Except that's based on air. What would keep him from being able to pitch in the 5th or 6th inning?

Does he not have a deep enough arsenal? Why no, he's got three plus pitches. In fact, plus might be an understatement. He's got a mix of pitches capable of tying an opposing lineup into knots no matter how many times they see him.

Does he throw too many pitches in the early innings? No, just the opposite. He keeps the pitch count low and that will keep him fresh for later innings.

Has he shown difficulty throwing innings to date? No, he's been quite good in innings 5, 6 and 7.

About the only thing your speculation has going for it is he's a little fella.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Does he throw too many pitches in the early innings? No, just the opposite. He keeps the pitch count low and that will keep him fresh for later innings.
    And, we can only hope, protect him from Dustification™.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And that is an important key to any discussion involving Cueto, or any other starter for that matter, pitching deep enough into ball games. The kid even had to throw extra in the bullpen after a recent appearance just to reach his pitch quota.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Give it up and stop with your agenda driven posts.
    We all have agendas based on our own personal opinions formed on certain players. Aronchis makes points that I OFTEN disagree with. That doesn't mean he's not allowed to debate those points without having those opinions dismissed as "agenda driven". You are in turn completely disrespecting his view because you aren't arguing it's merit and instead are arguing against something we all have, personal biases.

I'm not a moderator but I would be sad to see opinions censored on this site because we all can't at least respect others views and take them at face value. This reminds me of the posters that make the idiotic claim that some of us want Homer Bailey to fail because we earlier thought he was rushed. It's not what the Old Red Guard was created for. Just my two cents on why we have this exclusive board.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?