Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Volquez was not mentally ready to pitch that game. Good experience for him, going forward, but in no way did he look like a pitcher on a mission and that is what you have to be in the playoffs. Wood looked like a veteran and Volquez like a rookie. Hindsight always 20/20, but mental makeup in the post season plays a big part. Dusty should have learned something about his pitchers and their makeup tonight.
    I got blasted for saying this earlier in the season, but the maturity level of Edinson and even Cueto is just not there. For either one of them. Watching Wood and Leake earlier showed me something. They are as cool as they can be even when things aren't going good. Volquez and Cueto aren't. Not playoff material yet. Sadly.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I don't think Volquez has the makeup to ever be a big game pitcher.
    Jose Maloney

He'll work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I got blasted for saying this earlier in the season, but the maturity level of Edinson and even Cueto is just not there. For either one of them. Watching Wood and Leake earlier showed me something. They are as cool as they can be even when things aren't going good. Volquez and Cueto aren't. Not playoff material yet. Sadly.
    I think Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey could all be put into that category.

Wood, Leake, and Arroyo definitely seem like they aren't fazed by pressure. Chapman also seems "cool as ice" on the mound.
    Votto for MVP

A bit premature, but anyone think that one of Volquez/Cueto will be traded for another "piece" this winter.

A bit premature, but anyone think that one of Volquez/Cueto will be traded for another "piece" this winter.
    Trading Cueto would beyond stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Cueto, he's farther along on the salary scale, scouting shows his body type will decline with age and yet currently he's a nice asset.

I'm not sure, but with Volquez, Cueto, Arroyo, Bailey, Chapman, Leake, and Wood all viable starting pitchers, I think at least one of these guys needs to be traded for a LF or a SS.
    Votto for MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    I'm not sure, but with Volquez, Cueto, Arroyo, Bailey, Chapman, Leake, and Wood all viable starting pitchers, I think at least one of these guys needs to be traded for a LF or a SS.
    Agreed that one of them could be moved. I just don't know who I want to be moved, either Volquez, Cueto, or Bailey. I hate to get rid of any pitcher with the type of stuff that they each can bring. I probably lean towards moving bailey for a shortstop. I think their is plenty of future outfielders in the system.

Halliday pitched great...I've gone from celebrating last week to trying to drink away any knowledge of the game I just watched. :all_cohol

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Trading Cueto would beyond stupid.
    I really don't like thinking it, but I fear Cueto will have a start similar to Volquez.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I really don't like thinking it, but I fear Cueto will have a start similar to Volquez.
    And if he does it would still be beyond stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I don't think Volquez has the makeup to ever be a big game pitcher.
    I know Dusty gave more legitimate reasons for his decision to start him in this big game than you just gave for your opinion. Of course, Dusty's first reason, legitimate or not, was more than you just gave.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Thoughts.

I'd rather lose a game 1 no-no to the runaway Cy Young winner than give up 3 in the 9th to lose.

Yes, trade Cueto, Alonso, Francisco.....find a horse or an all-star left fielder (brilliant points on Cueto woy)

Put the best team on the field for the rest of the series, please.

Even if they lose Friday....this team can come back to win it. I've made the mistake of counting the 2010 Reds out a few to many times.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Admittedly, I spent most of the last 2 innings just laughing at the futility of it all.

Only positive to come out of it: this Reds team responds to crap situations better than any team I've followed. Blow big leads? No worries. Get swept by the Cardinals after running your mouths? Not a problem.

They'll lose this series, but it won't be because they go into some tailspin after being no-hit.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Admittedly, I spent most of the last 2 innings just laughing at the futility of it all.

Only positive to come out of it: this Reds team responds to crap situations better than any team I've followed. Blow big leads? No worries. Get swept by the Cardinals after running your mouths? Not a problem.

They'll lose this series, but it won't be because they go into some tailspin after being no-hit.
    In a strange sort of way, I almost am looking forward to seeing Oswalt and Hamels after tonight.

I mean honestly, it can't get any worse than how things went this evening.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

If I remember correctly, that's how Hal McCoy called the series. He said the Reds would lose 2, then win 3 in a row. Daunting, but that's how they've rolled all year.

Turn Off Ads?