Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cordero and Reds agree for 4 years, $46 million!!!!

Re: Cordero and Reds agree for 4 years, $46 million!!!!

Yes, Kerry Wood suposedly is asking 2 yr $10 million but he still wants to be a starter, and if we were to actually sell him on the pen, I think it would have to be that he is "the man"... with this signing I think he'll turn his attention elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    ^ I agree with the comfort level, but throwing $46 million at one guy basically still leaves us with 2 holes in the starting rotation. I DO NOT want to see Matt Belisle out there every 5th day again this year.
    Have you looked at Belisle's numbers last year? His peripherals would have indicated an ERA about half a run lower... The only thing that held him back was hits due partly to bad luck and a high BABP... Perhaps a better season defensively can help these pitchers out...

2. Turn Off Ads?

It will upgrade our bullpen, but we now have very little money(if any) to improve our starting pitching. I imagine this will increase the chances of the Reds using the trade venue to acquire starting pitching. I also wonder what effect this will have on the chances the Reds may seek a trade of Dunn this year rather than signing him to an extension.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 11-23-2007 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It will upgrade our bullpen, but we now have very little money(if any) to improve our starting pitching. I imagine this will increase the chances of the Reds using the trade venue to acquire starting pitching. I also wonder what effect this will have on the chances the Reds may seek a trade of Dunn this year rather than signing him to an extension.
    I don't think we ever planned on using any money to get SP's thru FA. Gonna have to be thru trades, where we will have to give something up (I advocate Hamilton) to get something in return...

Wasn't Cordero the pitcher who launched a chair into the stands in Oakland a few seasons back?

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    Wasn't Cordero the pitcher who launched a chair into the stands in Oakland a few seasons back?
    no, that was Frank Francisco I beleive...

rotoworld-
    "If Rosenthal is correct, then $1 million per year is all it took to lure Cordero from a team set up to contend annually for the next several years to one that simply isn't. That the Reds spent this much on a guy who only figures to throw 70 innings per year shows precisely why they're going nowhere fast. Cordero is a fine pitcher, but he blew one more save than David Weathers did last season. He's only going to make so much of a difference."

this doesn't make any sense... so the Brewers can offer him $10.5 million and they are a bunch of genuises, but we offer $11.5 million and we are dumbies? Also, comparing Cordero's save conversions to Weathers is silly. And by putting Cordero at closer, Weathers terrific save conversion rate will be pitcing in the 8th...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    no, that was Frank Francisco I beleive...
    You are correct. I knew the name Francisco was involved in it in some way, I just couldn't remember who. Either way, I'm glad to see the Reds are attempting to make a name for themselves. Let's just hope the Cordero doesn't fall into the Great American Ballpark bullpen curse that's been plauging the Reds the last few years...

Heres part of the article:

Chavez singled in the winning run in the bottom of the 10th inning, leading the Oakland Athletics to a wild 7-6 win over the Rangers on Monday night in a game that was delayed in the ninth after Texas reliever Frank Francisco hurled a chair and hit two fans.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    As usual, Amarillo, astute musing. Somebody in the OF has got to go, we just don't know who that will be. There are the super-subs i.e. Freel and Hopper, but I see them going as a throw-in to close a deal. (Freel has the 3rd/2nd capability and the fan fav', fire). That leaves Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce, or, Griffey? Don't see Bruce being traded, what is Griffey worth? That leaves Dunn or Hamilton.

rotoworld-
    "If Rosenthal is correct, then $1 million per year is all it took to lure Cordero from a team set up to contend annually for the next several years to one that simply isn't. That the Reds spent this much on a guy who only figures to throw 70 innings per year shows precisely why they're going nowhere fast. Cordero is a fine pitcher, but he blew one more save than David Weathers did last season. He's only going to make so much of a difference."

this doesn't make any sense... so the Brewers can offer him $10.5 million and they are a bunch of genuises, but we offer $11.5 million and we are dumbies? Also, comparing Cordero's save conversions to Weathers is silly. And by putting Cordero at closer, Weathers terrific save conversion rate will be pitcing in the 8th...
    What rotoworld doesn't understand is that now that the Reds have Cordero and the Brewers do not, the Reds are going to contend. A bad bullpen was all that was keeping them from contending last year.
    And Weather was not the problem last year, it was the 6-8 innings, which are now stronger since everyone is pushed back a notch.
    But what do you expect for the "fantasy" site? They never understand how the game is played in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What rotoworld doesn't understand is that now that the Reds have Cordero and the Brewers do not, the Reds are going to contend. A bad bullpen was all that was keeping them from contending last year.
    And Weather was not the problem last year, it was the 6-8 innings, which are now stronger since everyone is pushed back a notch.
    But what do you expect for the "fantasy" site? They never understand how the game is played in the real world.
    glad we could agree on something

[QUOTE=757690;1501139]What rotoworld doesn't understand is that now that the Reds have Cordero and the Brewers do not, the Reds are going to contend. A bad bullpen was all that was keeping them from contending last year.

That says it all. Look at how many leads were blown in 7 thru 9, and it can make you sick. If they had been only 50% better, the Reds would have been in the race.

"I would have liked to stay in Milwaukee, but it's not up to me," Cordero said.

What, did Wayne Krivsky strap him to a chair and force him to sign a contract with the Reds? The BrewCrew made an extremely similar offer...

Great news !!!!!!

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

rotoworld-
    The Brewers are contending with a good young nucleus from their farm system. The Reds are gonna start contending when Jay, Votto, Cueto, and Bailey are ready to get it going. Stupid article.

Turn Off Ads?