Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Cingrani is our best pitching prospect IMO

Re: Cingrani is our best pitching prospect IMO

What was the Vegas line on a Dave Parker argument breaking out in a Tony Cingrani thread?

Parker was, arguably, the best player alive in the late 1970s. He was certainly on the short list. Much as I like Jay Bruce, common sense ought to tell you he's not yet in the conversation with best-in-their-era types.

And the argument that you need three plus pitches is at least a century old. Never been true. It's up there with these kids today don't know how to play the game.
    Last edited by M2; 07-05-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

And the argument that you need three plus pitches is at least a century old. Never been true. It's up there with these kids today don't know how to play the game.
    Who said anything about needing 3 plus pitches?

I'm just glad that Lotzkar and Cingrani are both Reds prospects so we're not discussing two different teams best pitcher

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Here's the deal: I love all you guys. (In a completely non-Jerry-Sandusky kind of way.)

Oh yeah, and Cingrani is some kind of good. I think we have one or two seats left on the Cingraniwagon. Who hasn't jumped aboard yet?

Cingrani has a shutout streak of 20 2/3 innings

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...vkey=news_milb

From the story linked above:

"That 15-K game was the best one I've had here so far," Cingrani said. "My off-speed [stuff] was really working in that game, I think. I'm always trying to repeat things I did then, but all I can do is go out there and compete like I always do."

Cingrani's 1.28 ERA between Bakersfield (10 starts) and Pensacola (seven) leads all full-season Minor Leaguers. He also ranks second in the Minors with 121 strikeouts, sixth with a 0.94 WHIP and seventh with a .186 opponents' batting average.

Yep. His stats are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And I know it's just the player talking (which you have to take with a grain) but I like that Cingrani feels he's off-speed stuff is improving. Yet, at the same time, he admits in the story that his slider and change must continue to improve if he's going to make it at the MLB level. Sounds like he "gets it." He's putting up the ridiculous stats, but he also knows there's a lot of work still to be done. He doesn't seem to have the attitude that he has it all figured out. I like everything about this kid. (As if you couldn't already tell. Ha.)

Yeah, everything he has been saying is the right stuff. It seems that he understands it, the coaches get it and they are working together to try and make it better.

Has Cingriani been using his off-speed pitches more in AA than he had been in A+?
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Has Cingriani been using his off-speed pitches more in AA than he had been in A+?
    At times yes, at times no. It is still pretty inconsistent. When it isn't there, he still leans incredibly heavy on his fastball.

If he continues to dominate AA, doug, are you willing to now accept that he'll likely be a starter at the major league level, rather than the reliever you insisted he was?

Or will it take him working on those pitches until they're plus before you agree that he's a starter candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If he continues to dominate AA, doug, are you willing to now accept that he'll likely be a starter at the major league level, rather than the reliever you insisted he was?

Or will it take him working on those pitches until they're plus before you agree that he's a starter candidate?
    It will take him working on those pitches until they show any kind of consistency before I think there is a good chance to be a starter. Right now he is a starter candidate, but I still think its 50-50 as to whether he starts or not. Just this past week Keith Law talked about Cingrani on his podcast and said he is likely a reliever. Last week, John Sickels talked about Cingrani as a guy who scouts were still pretty split on in terms of starting/relieving. Last week JJ Cooper of Baseball America talked about how more scouts were coming around that he could start, but of course that means that there are still plenty out there who aren't so sure about it. This isn't just some "Doug" thing. It is a whole lot of people who analyze baseball prospects for a living thing.

And let's note that I never insisted he was a reliever. I insisted that if he didn't improve his secondary stuff, he was a reliever. There is a huge difference between the two things.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Stats are for non-prospects. Real prospects, like Stubbs, have no use for stats.

Yes! Keith Law thinks Cingrani will be a reliever. That absolutely guarantees he'll be a starter.

I would love to bet someone like Keith Law in regards to this debate. I'm 100 percent convinced Cingrani will be a starter in MLB, not a reliever.

Turn Off Ads?