Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nick Travieso

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Nick Travieso

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...ound-analysis/

Cool article about Travieso's mechanics, along with some of the other first round arms. Not sure if it's been posted
    He looks to have a little bit of the "inverted 'W'" issue going on. Article was right to watch for shoulder issues down the road.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    He looks to have a little bit of the "inverted 'W'" issue going on. Article was right to watch for shoulder issues down the road.
    No he doesn't. He is loading behind his back. Your eyes are playing tricks on you.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    From reading the reports it seems like Travieso is a guy who best case develops into a top of the rotation starter, worst case is a nasty closer. I can live with that. He may not have the polish of some of the college pitchers that were taken but it seems like he has a very high ceiling. To be throwing 99 at 18 is pretty impressive.
    Worst case is a lot worse. Think Chris Gruler.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Zero percent of my income is derived from this opinion, but I can't even begin to count the number of times I've seen "feel for a developing changeup" on a high school pitcher's scouting report; and that includes a whole bunch of very highly touted pitchers. If there was a guarantee he would get a feel for it, he wouldn't have even got close to the 14th pick.
    Exactly. If this guy had a mid 90's fastball, excellent slider, and accomplished change, he'd be one of the first 3 players chosen, quite possibly the first. As to the comment about his perhaps profiling as a reliever, that's scout talk; there's a lot of it. Somebody makes a comment like that and it gets quoted. It doesn't mean squat. Look at his video. Kid is a classic big time power starter.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Exactly. If this guy had a mid 90's fastball, excellent slider, and accomplished change, he'd be one of the first 3 players chosen, quite possibly the first. As to the comment about his perhaps profiling as a reliever, that's scout talk; there's a lot of it. Somebody makes a comment like that and it gets quoted. It doesn't mean squat. Look at his video. Kid is a classic big time power starter.
    Unfortunately, "they" were saying the same thing about Aroldis Chapman, too.

The problem will be patience during development. Resisting the urge to promote/rush guys when they need a "pick-me-up" to draw fans in during subpar summers.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    The problem will be patience during development. Resisting the urge to promote/rush guys when they need a "pick-me-up" to draw fans in during subpar summers.
    Others have noted this, but doesn't it seem as if the club is lining up various classes of pitchers to move up to the big league club as others are exiting? Right now we have a glut of starters, especially if the club moves forward with putting Chapman in the rotation (part of why using Chapman in relief this year was even possible when the relievers dropped like flies).

Obviously anything can happen, but I'm with those who believe there's no need to rush Travieso or Stephenson or who else is in the pipeline.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Unfortunately, "they" were saying the same thing about Aroldis Chapman, too.

Well that simply won't happen with a high school kid because he is going to spend 3+ years as a starter in the minors before it is ever even considered to bring him to the Majors. Unlike Chapman, where it was 35% of one season before the talk began.

A BIG key to me is that Red scouts have been very close to this kid for quite a while. He is best friends with the son of a Latin American scouting director, I imagine they have been talking and watching him from a more familiar vantage than most scouts are privy to since he started playing ball. They claim to have knowledge of this kid other scouts don't and that may be things about his personality and demeanor that bode well for his development. Those intangibles that are so hard to guess at when draftig when every kid has talent and what seperates the winners from losers is often what's between their ears.

I'll take the Reds scouting department at their word on this kid. Inside knowledge. Close eye on him for a long time. I don't see how you can read his reports and those coming from the Reds and not draw the immediate conclusion that they played him very close to the vest to keep from losing him - I LOVE THIS PICK!

If Travieso becomes a closer or a high end set up man, I'm delighted.

The quest for TOR starting pitchers is important, but there are other needs to fill.

We won't know for quite awhile, but I don't view "closer" or even "set up man" as curse words.

Seems like the type of arm who could be a power starter or reliever. If he's good and a Red, I'll be happy either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Travieso becomes a closer or a high end set up man, I'm delighted.

The quest for TOR starting pitchers is important, but there are other needs to fill.

We won't know for quite awhile, but I don't view "closer" or even "set up man" as curse words.

Seems like the type of arm who could be a power starter or reliever. If he's good and a Red, I'll be happy either way.
    You value the bullpen more than most. A closer maybe, but if a top 15 pick becomes a setup man 5-7 years after he's drafted, I'm disappointed. Not a bust per se, but still disappointing if that is the result.
    Go BLUE!!!

You value the bullpen more than most. A closer maybe, but if a top 15 pick becomes a setup man 5-7 years after he's drafted, I'm disappointed. Not a bust per se, but still disappointing if that is the result.
    Disappointment probably a result of high expectations. If you also look back and see guys in the top 15 who never made it -- and there are always some -- the solid setup guy looks OK.

My expectations for draft picks are that they earn the money they're given. If a player signs for $800k, I expect at least $800k worth of production.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...ound-analysis/

Cool article about Travieso's mechanics, along with some of the other first round arms. Not sure if it's been posted
    Thanks, Superdude.

That analysis makes me more optimistic about the pick.

Travieso's mechanics are better than Stephs were this time last year. I think that is the reason why Stephenson hasn't pitched at Dayton the whole year like most first rounders do.

I suspect Travieso will go straight to Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    Travieso's mechanics are better than Stephs were this time last year. I think that is the reason why Stephenson hasn't pitched at Dayton the whole year like most first rounders do.

I suspect Travieso will go straight to Dayton.
    More likely Billings since he has a coaching contact there who knows him to help get his feet wet

Turn Off Ads?