Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelle Wie Saga/Golf tips

Re: Michelle Wie Saga

She said she is going to Stanford. Right now, that would be a good thing for her.
    Yeah, she said something about that after she withdrew, about being stressed over trying to find housing at Stanford, as if that was weighing on her mind more than the thing about the wrist and Annika being mad and looking like a spoiled brat. I mean who is actually going to believe that Michelle Wie will have trouble lining up housing for college? Um...just buy a whole dorm, a backpack, a pack of highlighters and you're ready for college, kid.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Yeah, she said something about that after she withdrew, about being stressed over trying to find housing at Stanford, as if that was weighing on her mind more than the thing about the wrist and Annika being mad and looking like a spoiled brat. I mean who is actually going to believe that Michelle Wie will have trouble lining up housing for college? Um...just buy a whole dorm, a backpack, a pack of highlighters and you're ready for college, kid.
    If she doesn't want to buy a dorm, she can always do what other celebrities do and have MTV or some other channel find a place for her so that they can do a reality show on her college life.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If she doesn't want to buy a dorm, she can always do what other celebrities do and have MTV or some other channel find a place for her so that they can do a reality show on her college life.
    The last thing I wanna see is more Michelle Wie....

The next time I wanna see her, it better be high on the 1st page of the leaderboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    From what I've read and heard, Leadbetter's distanced himself from her at an increasing rate over the past few years. He's still her "coach", but perhaps only by title.
    Just got some inside information....

I just got off the phone with my friend, Miles, who still caddies full-time on the LPGA tour. He's the lucky guy who was caddying for Birdie Kim 2 years ago when she holed the bunker shot to win the US Open.

Anyhow, he was at the LPGA Championship and saw Leadbetter with Wie during the practice rounds. And, he said she was hitting it awful. God awful. It would probably be in her best interest to distance herself from Leadbetter since he seems to only make good players worse.

Miles also said Wie was ripping at the ball showing no signs of any wrist injury. A wrist injury could've been a convenient excuse to withdraw from her last event. I don't want to make light of wrist injuries because they're awful and I actually had to withdraw from a tournament a month ago because of one, but they could potentially be an easy out if you're not playing well.

Curious to see what's next in the Michelle Wie saga....
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Anyhow, he was at the LPGA Championship and saw Leadbetter with Wie during the practice rounds. And, he said she was hitting it awful. God awful. It would probably be in her best interest to distance herself from Leadbetter since he seems to only make good players worse.
    I absolutely cannot stand David Leadbetter. Agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I absolutely cannot stand David Leadbetter. Agree completely.
    I dumped him as my swing coach, too. The guy absolutely ruined my game.

Seriously, all I know of the guy is what I see in magazines, so I don't have much of an opinion. And speaking of which I think it would be fun to track all the advice given in golf magazines for a year, then to compare the conflicts:
    Ball forward/ball back, start with the hands/start with the hips, one swing for draws and fades/two swings, one plane/two planes, one part/two part/three part takeaway, fix your slice with your swing/fix it with your alignment, swing hard/swing easy.

I think the magazines have a vested interest in keeping golfers confused .

In the past, any of the things that I have ever read or seen on TV about Leadbetter's instruction that I have tried to apply to my game have really messed me up. I finally quit reading or listening to anything that he puts out. His drills and swing thoughts will put my game in the toilet faster than anything.

When I first started golfing, I couldn't keep the ball from going right, from an eight iron to 3 wood (I don't own a driver), everything was right or a push slice. So I read and I read and I read and I looked at Harmon's tips and Leadbetter's and everything else I could get my hands on about curing that problem. I tried to learn how to swing from the inside, or flatter, and I tried to make a fuller turn or to release the club head. Nothing worked.

So I took a lesson from a pro. She watched me hit a dozen balls, then showed me that my alignment was always left by about 15 degrees. She said nothing about my swing, except this- "It's fine." I straightened out, got my body square to the target line and the balls began flying exactly where I wanted them to and very much further than they had gone before. It was like a miracle and it literally took a half dozen strokes off my game in an instant, once I got used to the new length.

In all the articles I read about slicing, I don't recall one that talked about alignment, that most fundamental of all swing attributes. And that is my beef with the writers- I have never seen one article in Golf Digest for instance that discusses the basics of a proper setup and swing. It's always about curing a particular ill or getting more length or trying to make the ball do things that no once a week golfer can ever achieve. And as a relatively new golfer I wanted to learn things the right way rather than by trying to make adjustments to compensate for basic mechanical and fundamental problems.

When I first started golfing, I couldn't keep the ball from going right, from an eight iron to 3 wood (I don't own a driver), everything was right or a push slice. So I read and I read and I read and I looked at Harmon's tips and Leadbetter's and everything else I could get my hands on about curing that problem. I tried to learn how to swing from the inside, or flatter, and I tried to make a fuller turn or to release the club head. Nothing worked.

So I took a lesson from a pro. She watched me hit a dozen balls, then showed me that my alignment was always left by about 15 degrees. She said nothing about my swing, except this- "It's fine." I straightened out, got my body square to the target line and the balls began flying exactly where I wanted them to and very much further than they had gone before. It was like a miracle and it literally took a half dozen strokes off my game in an instant, once I got used to the new length.

In all the articles I read about slicing, I don't recall one that talked about alignment, that most fundamental of all swing attributes. And that is my beef with the writers- I have never seen one article in Golf Digest for instance that discusses the basics of a proper setup and swing. It's always about curing a particular ill or getting more length or trying to make the ball do things that no once a week golfer can ever achieve. And as a relatively new golfer I wanted to learn things the right way rather than by trying to make adjustments to compensate for basic mechanical and fundamental problems.
    Most people do not align correctly. It is a universal flaw. You are right on the money with that post.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

That was my problem too. Everything would go right and I just kept aiming more to the left to try to compensate. I pretty much had it figured out. I would aim way to the left and the ball would end up in the middle, but I wasn't getting any distance. Then one day I just said, "What the heck" and aimed down the middle. One or two balls went to the right and then I started hitting it straight. I have been hitting straight balls ever since, with only the occasional slice but now I can identify what I'm doing to cause the slice and it doesn't happen that often anymore. I will on occasion have a very slight draw now, but it's not that pronounced and it's easier to deal with that the slice I used to have. It's a weird game. Sometimes I think the name of the game should be changed from golf to "Oh @#%$!!"

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The last thing I wanna see is more Michelle Wie....

The next time I wanna see her, it better be high on the 1st page of the leaderboard.
    More likely to see her high next to Paris Hilton than high on the first page of the leaderboard.
    Witty signature.

Most people do not align correctly. It is a universal flaw. You are right on the money with that post.
    I agree. Only about 10% of the people I teach align correctly right away. It's one of the first things I look at because it can lead to major problems and can cure simple problems.

Here's some ways to align correctly and check it:

1) Pick out your target in the distance (be very precise....something small like the top of tree, a 150 post, not the entire fairway). This target is where you want the ball to start. If you fade or draw the ball, it is best to pick the target left or right of your target to allow your ball to curve to the middle.

2) Now, once you have your target, draw an imaginary line from your target to your ball. Pick out a point approx. 6-12" in front of the ball to line your club up to. I'm sure many of you do this.

The next points are very important and why people misalign.

3) Step up to the ball and align your clubface to the point 6" in front of the ball, AND have your right foot parallel to the clubface (your left foot will be next to your right, but farther away from the ball by a few inches).

Ok, so now your clubface and right foot are lined up to the target. The next point is crucial to aligning consistently.

4) While looking at the TARGET, set your left foot and slightly adjust your right foot for the desired width in your stance.

Most golfers stare at the ground when they set their feet. Unless you practice all day long, it's very difficult to line up correctly if your staring at the ground.

Looking at the target initiates our hand-eye coordination. Our feet act like our hands and can adjust to what our eyes see. So it's imperative to use your eyes as much as you can when you're aligning for a shot.

Further, most golfers tend to slice the ball. Alignment is a major factor in that. 99% of the golfers I've seen slice the ball have open shoulders. Our arms have to swing where our shoulders are aiming. Why? Because they're connected. So, if you have your feet aimed correctly and your shoulders are open you will still tend to swing outside to in and slice/pull the ball.

Here's how to check your shoulders (with the help of a fellow golfer):

1) Set up to the ball normally and don't move.

2) Have a friend place a club at the back of your heels (touching both) and have them come around to the front of you (facing you) and hold a club up along your shoulders.

3) Once they're done, they will stay there holding the club up while you step and stand back to look down your target line.

4) What you want to see is both clubs are parallel slightly left of the target (ideally, you would want a line from your ball directly pointing at the target and your feet and shoulders parallel to that line just left of the target). If you're a slicer of the ball, you will most likely notice that your shoulders will be aiming left of your foot line (for righties). If that's the case, you should practice closing your shoulders at address and feeling like they stay closed longer when you swing. This will dramatically help the slice.

I hope that helps all you golfers out there. Feel free to ask me any questions at anytime. Another thing, go easy on the golf magazines. They're made to confuse people so they have to take more golf lessons. . Good for me though!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

From what I read it's clear the editors of the golf mags send you pros pre-pub copy of the articles so that you can make sure they aren't really helpful.

Is there an annual conference where you guys consult with the editors to chart the course of the coming year's "advice" and catch phrases?

Here are some I'm predicting for 2008. I have no idea what these would actually mean, but certainly Golf Digest could run with them:

The Zip and Tip
    The Boom-Chucka
    The Z-move
    The Flat Zone
    The Cigar Factor
    The High and Tight
    The Twist and Mist
    Vortex
    Spine Torque
    Shoulder Shizzle

Feel free to use these in your lessons. I bet they'd stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I agree. Only about 10% of the people I teach align correctly right away. It's one of the first things I look at because it can lead to major problems and can cure simple problems.

Here's some ways to align correctly and check it:

1) Pick out your target in the distance (be very precise....something small like the top of tree, a 150 post, not the entire fairway). This target is where you want the ball to start. If you fade or draw the ball, it is best to pick the target left or right of your target to allow your ball to curve to the middle.

2) Now, once you have your target, draw an imaginary line from your target to your ball. Pick out a point approx. 6-12" in front of the ball to line your club up to. I'm sure many of you do this.

The next points are very important and why people misalign.

3) Step up to the ball and align your clubface to the point 6" in front of the ball, AND have your right foot parallel to the clubface (your left foot will be next to your right, but farther away from the ball by a few inches).

Ok, so now your clubface and right foot are lined up to the target. The next point is crucial to aligning consistently.

4) While looking at the TARGET, set your left foot and slightly adjust your right foot for the desired width in your stance.

Most golfers stare at the ground when they set their feet. Unless you practice all day long, it's very difficult to line up correctly if your staring at the ground.

Looking at the target initiates our hand-eye coordination. Our feet act like our hands and can adjust to what our eyes see. So it's imperative to use your eyes as much as you can when you're aligning for a shot.

Further, most golfers tend to slice the ball. Alignment is a major factor in that. 99% of the golfers I've seen slice the ball have open shoulders. Our arms have to swing where our shoulders are aiming. Why? Because they're connected. So, if you have your feet aimed correctly and your shoulders are open you will still tend to swing outside to in and slice/pull the ball.

Here's how to check your shoulders (with the help of a fellow golfer):

1) Set up to the ball normally and don't move.

2) Have a friend place a club at the back of your heels (touching both) and have them come around to the front of you (facing you) and hold a club up along your shoulders.

3) Once they're done, they will stay there holding the club up while you step and stand back to look down your target line.

4) What you want to see is both clubs are parallel slightly left of the target (ideally, you would want a line from your ball directly pointing at the target and your feet and shoulders parallel to that line just left of the target). If you're a slicer of the ball, you will most likely notice that your shoulders will be aiming left of your foot line (for righties). If that's the case, you should practice closing your shoulders at address and feeling like they stay closed longer when you swing. This will dramatically help the slice.

I hope that helps all you golfers out there. Feel free to ask me any questions at anytime. Another thing, go easy on the golf magazines. They're made to confuse people so they have to take more golf lessons. . Good for me though!
    That's better advice than you can get out of a magazine!

That's better advice than you can get out of a magazine!
    You're welcome and thank you.

Turn Off Ads?