Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2007 Inductees

Zoinks!

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2007 Inductees

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Why no Alice Cooper in the R'N'R HOF?

Purely shameful.

I agree. If this years inductees made it I am at a loss why Cooper isn't there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Purely shameful.
    Hard hearted Alice
    Is what we want to be
    Hard hearted Alice
    Is what you want to see

Why the hate for REM?

Yes, their sound changed--but to call their last decade's output "unlistenable"? I, for one, found "Around the Sun" to be quite an enjoyable experience. "Up", too, wasn't at all bad.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    True

That would have been sad.
    You know what I mean though.....While Ronnie's voice stands out, the girl groups were interchangeable. Like I said earlier, Darlene Love and Cher (among others) appeared on Ronettes recordings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Why the hate for REM?

Yes, their sound changed--but to call their last decade's output "unlistenable"? I, for one, found "Around the Sun" to be quite an enjoyable experience. "Up", too, wasn't at all bad.
    You know what is weird about REM?

They spent their first decade with Michael standing looking at the ground or with his back to the crowd and mumbling 80% of the lyrics in a rapid fire manner. Now you can hear every lyric and they all are about emotions and relationships.

Not that I find anything wrong with that.

Purely shameful.
    Where are The Moody Blues?

I never quite "got" Patti Smith.

"Horses" was interesting, but other than that, I never quite understood what the big deal was.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    You're kidding right? The Ronettes were one of the first of many very successful girl groups of the early to mid 60s. Though I don't really believe that they deserve induction. I think they would have gone nowhere were it not for the folks in the Brille Building and Phil Spector. Hell, their studio stuff had additional vocals by people like Darlene Love and Cher but still credited to The Ronettes.
    Well, when I say that Eddie Money deserves the assist, I mean that in the way that, by having Ronnie Spector sing on his hit song in the '80s, it brought her previous work with the Ronettes back into prominence. I had never heard of her before that and it was likely that the Ronettes could have faded into oblivion under the shadow of other girl groups from that era. But I remember that after that song, suddenly the Ronettes were on the radio all the time again, at least on the oldies and classic rock stations. By saying that, I do not mean that Eddie Money deserves to be in the Rock Hall or that the Ronettes got in there only because of Eddie Money. But "Take Me Home Tonight" certainly gave her career a boost at the right time.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Why the hate for REM?

But are they HOF worthy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But are they HOF worthy?
    It's so subjective, who can really say? They've certainly sold a lot of albums, and their lengthy career is a testament to their ongoing popularity and relevance. Certainly one of the most important bands to emerge out of America during the last 25 years.

But Rock and Roll HoF credentials are much more arbitrary than those of, for example, the baseball HoF. You could look solely at album sales and tour grosses, but that would ignore so many valuable qualities that a band may have. There are a number of bands that I would classify as HoF-worthy, but who lack the requisite chart hits or album sales to gain admittance.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But are they HOF worthy?
    They are absolutely, because of the influence they had, both musically and beyond. And I hate REM's music. Always have. But they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, easy.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Michael has been replaced by Eddie's son Wolfgang on bass. Be interesting to see who plays for Van Halen on their induction since Dave, Sammy and Michael are not in the band anymore.
    I thought I saw that Dave was coming back...

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Kiss is in the Hall of fame for guys who made a lot of money with absolutely no talent.
    I've never understood why people say this. Are their songs complex? No. Are their lyrics deep and metaphysical? No Are they out trying to change the world for the cause dejour? No.

But do their songs rock? Yes. Are their songs entertaining? Yes. Do their songs cause a reaction or emotional responce? Yes. Did they bring something new and different to the music sceen? Yes. (I'm talking about the 70's/early 80's Kiss).

You may not care for their music but I don't think that takes away from being tallented. If it was so easy, why weren't there more bands following the exact same formula and making the same wild amounts of money? Seems to me if it was so easy, the lure of easy money would have had a strong allure to others to follow the same path.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I've never understood why people say this. Are their songs complex? No. Are their lyrics deep and metaphysical? No Are they out trying to change the world for the cause dejour? No.
    Bob Seger tends to inspire this from people, too. I'd put "Night Moves" up there amongst my favorites.

I just want a song I can hum along to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Bob Seger tends to inspire this from people, too. I'd put "Night Moves" up there amongst my favorites.

I just want a song I can hum along to.
    Yea, I don't really care about who the artist is or the type of music. I just want it to move me in some way.

Turn Off Ads?