Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edwin Encarnacion's timetable for a return to the bigs...

Edwin Encarnacion's timetable for a return to the bigs...

I see where Dusty Baker said, "I don't think so", when asked if he thought EE would be returning to the Major League club to begin Tuesday's home stand. He said, "He's got a different swing than Joey", inferring I guess that EE's swing requires more timing or something like that.

I wouldn't think it's going to be too much longer after that. Why would a hitter need more than 10 days in the minors? Perhaps the hand swells every night, or swells after a few days, and they want to make sure there isn't any swelling at all, even after a week of playing, before the move him up for good this time.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Edwin Encarnacion's timetable for a return to the bigs...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I see where Dusty Baker said, "I don't think so", when asked if he thought EE would be returning to the Major League club to begin Tuesday's home stand. He said, "He's got a different swing than Joey", inferring I guess that EE's swing requires more timing or something like that.

I wouldn't think it's going to be too much longer after that. Why would a hitter need more than 10 days in the minors? Perhaps the hand swells every night, or swells after a few days, and they want to make sure there isn't any swelling at all, even after a week of playing, before the move him up for good this time.
    Or perhaps Dusty and the Reds just LOVE a .300 OBP 3B named Jerry Hairston and want to keep him playing?

Im going with Doug on this one. Dusty is probably trying to give Hairston as many chances as possible to heat up so he wont have to take him out of hte line up.

Hairston will be in LF soon as EE gets back, lets not kid ourselves.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Im going with Doug on this one. Dusty is probably trying to give Hairston as many chances as possible to heat up so he wont have to take him out of hte line up.
    Or maybe the Reds are giving Encarnacion a chance to get himself right at AAA before bringing him up.

He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire this spring -- and he hasn't exactly been a consistent hitter through his career with the Reds; certainly not good enough to say "well, I'm sure he'll find his groove once he gets back up."

Plus, lets not forget the fact that his defense has been somewhere between terrible and awful during his tenure with the team; they may be getting him as many reps as possible in the field to ensure that he's as OK as can be defensively prior to ocming up.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Or maybe the Reds are giving Encarnacion a chance to get himself right at AAA before bringing him up.

He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire this spring -- and he hasn't exactly been a consistent hitter through his career with the Reds; certainly not good enough to say "well, I'm sure he'll find his groove once he gets back up."

Plus, lets not forget the fact that his defense has been somewhere between terrible and awful during his tenure with the team; they may be getting him as many reps as possible in the field to ensure that he's as OK as can be defensively prior to ocming up.
    While I was slightly kidding with my comment above, I don't think Edwin is going to be left down for work on the defense at all. While its certainly an issue he should correct, its not one the Reds are going to leave him down to work on. Given that the other options are Hairston/Richar/Janish/Rosales, Edwin at 75-80% is a much better offensive option.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Hairston will be in LF soon as EE gets back, lets not kid ourselves.
    Man I hope not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't agree with this. EE has been capable of average defense and occasionally very good plays. Most of the problem has been when he rushes throws to 1st. I'd like to think that can still be improved.

I believe EE will be at AAA awhile longer because the Reds want to avoid re-injury. Awhile back it seemed he had a setback and the Reds want to be cautious. I think it's that simple. With the team's offensive woes, if the Reds were sure of his health EE would be in the major leagues right now.

EE has power. That's a given. But EE also has trouble putting the bat on the ball. Let him hit for a decent avg against AAA pitching before bringing him up. The Reds don't need another .211 hitter right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    EE has power. That's a given. But EE also has trouble putting the bat on the ball. Let him hit for a decent avg against AAA pitching before bringing him up. The Reds don't need another .211 hitter right now.
    They could use a .400 OBP and .579 SLG guy though. Not that either of those translate to the Majors or anything, but Edwin isn't a .211 hitter just like he isn't a .579 SLG guy. He is a guy who is going to hit you .270/.350/.460. If he looks fine in Louisville, he should be up with the Reds the day he is eligible to come off the DL (today I believe). He has spent a week seeing live pitching. Only the Reds send starters to the minors to rehab this long.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While I was slightly kidding with my comment above, I don't think Edwin is going to be left down for work on the defense at all. While its certainly an issue he should correct, its not one the Reds are going to leave him down to work on. Given that the other options are Hairston/Richar/Janish/Rosales, Edwin at 75-80% is a much better offensive option.
    I don't want to put words in CE's mouth but I read his comments to mean they want him at his sharpest when he returns so we don't actually get a worse defender than possible.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Man I hope not.

I don't agree with this. EE has been capable of average defense and occasionally very good plays. Most of the problem has been when he rushes throws to 1st. I'd like to think that can still be improved.
    Actually EE tends to make more errant throws when he doesn't rush and has time to think about his throw. Oddly he does pretty well when he just catches and gets rid of it. Certainly he has done both but primarily when he slows it down he gets into trouble.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

They could use a .400 OBP and .579 SLG guy though. Not that either of those translate to the Majors or anything, but Edwin isn't a .211 hitter just like he isn't a .579 SLG guy. He is a guy who is going to hit you .270/.350/.460. If he looks fine in Louisville, he should be up with the Reds the day he is eligible to come off the DL (today I believe). He has spent a week seeing live pitching. Only the Reds send starters to the minors to rehab this long.
    I'd agree let's just get him up here already, IMO there is no real good reason for him to spend more than a week in AAA. It's not as if they are playing well so he certainly can't hurt any momentum. We have 4 weeks until the trade deadline time to put this team out there and see exactly what we have. On the flip side unless he has learned something new his addition isn't likely to do a whole lot more for us. I mean we are still short another bat or 2. I seen the Red Sox have inquired about my boy Macier Izturis, from the report it looks like they may have offered Takashi Saito. Time to get a real SS and a real CF (or play Dickerson there and get Scott Hairston to pair with Nix) bring EE back and see what happens.

--Woody Hayes

Id take Edwins throws to 1st over Hairstons lobs every day all day.

Edwin shouldnt be held on a rehab if he says he ready to come up and the doctors clear him.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

My point was that I don't want them to rush a guy back who has a history of defensive deficiencies until he's had enough defensive reps to be able to field the position to the best of his limited abilities. He shouldn't be held down to "work" on stuff, but he also shouldn't be rushed back to a big league field.

And yes, I'm sadly forced to agree that Encarnacion is the best of what's around at 3rd base. It should be added incentive for the Reds to acquire a better, more complete player to man the position in the future and either move Encarnacion to LF where his poor/sloppy play won't cost the team as many runs and outs, or ship him off somewhere to let another team deal with his inconsistent ability to make contact at the plate and defensive adventures.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?