Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffey extended through '08

Coffey extended through '08

Well, this should certainly spark an interesting debate. Per team press notes Coffey and the team have agreed to terms on a one year extension, no dollars were mentioned. Coffey likely would've been arb eligible after this season. Also, Burton was transferred from Louisville to Chattanooga, for what it's worth.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Coffey extended through '08

It could be argued that it was in the club's best interest to do the deal while his stock is down. Assuming of course, that it goes back up.
    /r/reds

I am conflicted about this. It is a good move if Coffey is not overused by Narron.He most likely would have been more expensive in arbitration. I would be interested to see the teams reasons for demoting Burton.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    It could be argued that it was in the club's best interest to do the deal while his stock is down. Assuming of course, that it goes back up.
    Could also be a precursor to a conversation that goes something like this:

"Todd, we consider you an important part of the future of this franchise -- and we're making a financial commitment to you that says that. Now, head down to Louisville and figure out whats wrong."

FWIW, I like relievers that miss bats. Todd Coffey, when hes right, misses bats. Always good to keep around.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

this is good for the Reds. Stuff wise hes probably the best reliever we have.

part of BBN

Wasnt Burton rehabbing?
    If so why demote him?

Quote Originally Posted by Doro View Post
    this is good for the Reds. Stuff wise hes probably the best reliever we have.
    Is that necessarily a good thing? I think this was an ok extention because they would have spent more on the open market for someone like Coffey. This team just needs some stability at the end of the pen so everyone can fall into a roll where they can be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Could also be a precursor to a conversation that goes something like this:

"Todd, we consider you an important part of the future of this franchise -- and we're making a financial commitment to you that says that. Now, head down to Louisville and figure out whats wrong."

FWIW, I like relievers that miss bats. Todd Coffey, when hes right, misses bats. Always good to keep around.
    Good call CE. They know he needs some time and don't want to kill his confidence and undercut themselves. This doesn't really affect their commitment any, gets an arb case out of the way, and let's him focus on being a good major league pitcher, not worrying if he'll be one at all.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I like it; Coffey has good stuff, a live arm, and a lack of confidence right now, it seems.

Wow, Burton to AA? Maybe he's on his way back to Oakland, or maybe they want to see if he can close? (Isn't Salmon closing for Louisville?)
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Wasnt Burton rehabbing?
    If so why demote him?
    I don't think it can be looked at as a demotion, seeing as how the Reds have to keep him on the roster or lose him, right? There has to be some reasoning behind this.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Maybe they bumped Burton down to AA so they could promote someone to AAA while Burton is rehabing?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Burton is in AA because Louisville is on its way to Canada for a road trip and Its nice and warm in Chattanooga, per the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Good move.
    Go Gators!

They were going to bring Coffey back next year regardless. First year arb players like coffey aren't expensive anyway. I see no downside in this.

It's nice Wayne is taking care of it now, as opposed to waiting until the 11th hour, like previous administrations did. A small gold star for Wayne for this.

I wonder if they are also demoting Burton so that he can face a lower level of competition as he works on consistently throwing strikes. That seems to be his big problem.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

This continues Krivsky's apparent strategy of "fixing" as many costs as possible prior to the coming off season. IMO, it's a good strategy because with a presumed tight budget and obvious needs Krivsky is going to have to spend his time & money this off season pursuing FA's and perhaps making some trades, rather than negotiating with players already under the Reds control.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?