Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cunningham has no class: Griffey a "disgrace", Dunn "Drunk, a Monkey, and Black" ...

Re: Cunningham has no class: Griffey a "disgrace", Dunn "Drunk, a Monkey, and Black"

Bill Cunningham's shtick is so old and tired I can't stand the sound of his voice.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cunningham has no class: Griffey a "disgrace", Dunn "Drunk, a Monkey, and Black"

I'm paraphrasing but Cunningham said he was complaining about Dunn also so no one would say he was making racial remarks---what was said exactly that is incorrect??

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I heard Bill Cunningham's onslaught against primarily Griffey and Dunn, Friday afternoon. What Kradokk said, is what I heard on WLW, more or less, but generally correct. I believe Andy Fuhrman was fired from WLW for his comments concerning TJ Houshmanzedah, which after today seemed to be a lot more tame than what Mr. Cunningham said about Dunn and Griffey Jr. Bill Cunningham is a shock jock in every sense of the word. I also know that Bill Cunningham can be a very good personality on the radio when he wants to be. Just like Dunn and Griffey- these two baseball players can be great All-Around ball players when they want to. Too bad for all concerned it seems to be far less than they choose to give. Too often their effort is lacking. Perhaps instead of using "is lacking" STINKS would be a better choice. Is it too much too ask Norris Hopper, Jeff Keppinger and Tom Shearn to hustle on every play? Of course not because those career minor leaguers don't have to be asked or told to hustle! They do it because it's the right way to play baseball and sports in general! I'd love to know what the young guys think when they see their star teammates not hustling. Why doesn't Castellini, Krivsky and Mackanin address this issue once and for all and then fine and/or bench or demote, as was the case in Edwin Encarnacion's gaffe during Jerry Narron's tenure this summer, the guilty players? Hey, Front Office- Show some leadership here!!!

For someone who has hit 592 home runs, it's amazing that Ken Griffey Jr. has to admire each ball he thinks has a chance to go out. The flight of every possible/potential home run ball that KGJ hits, turns many balls hit off the wall into mere singles. KGJ does a similar thing on a ball that he presumes will be caught. He no longer runs them out, at least he doesn't run it out hard/fast. Adam Dunn is basically doing the same thing, although he doesn't do a little hop skip out of the batter's box like Griffey does when he thinks he's had a home run. I just about want to spew when I see KGJ do that. What is with these guys that they can't/won't hustle 100% anymore? Griffey is healthy this year, at least healthier than he's been in preceding years. Doesn't he realize he is looked up to by thousands of fans in person and on TV, watching games that he participates in? How can he justify his actions for being someone who doesn't hustle? It's just not the occasional thing occuring here. It's way, way more frequent than that, and its a shame! In general, the same goes for Adam Dunn. Is it too much to ask for these pampered ballplayers to bust their butts for three hours a night? I have become increasingly disgusted with the play of Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn and some other Reds, who on occasion are beginning to do the same things as AD and KGJ. And we know who they are.

How can Bill Cunningham, on the public airwaves, accuse Adam Dunn of being drunk at a level of quote ".15". Bill Cunningham is a lawyer. He must realize the repercussions he may be placing on himself and his employer for saying such inflammatory accusations against Adam Dunn of being drunk in public and while performing his (Dunn's) job.

I am truly at a loss to accurately write how I feel. I'm disappointed in Bill Cunningham, for his uncalled for words today. I'm further disappointed in Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn. These two are the big-money players on the Cincinnati Reds. They should lead by example, but what a poor example it is that they're setting for these younger Reds players to follow. Someone needs to tell Mr. Griffey and Mr. Dunn this isn't how Cincinnati Reds baseball is played! Is everyone in the Cincinnati media afraid to ask Griffey and Dunn, while on live TV, why is it that they don't feel the need to always hustle while on the field, representing not only themselves, but also the city of Cincinnati and the team that pays their salary? In baseball, you're resting half of the game anyway, while on the bench waiting to hit! How tired can you be that you can't hustle while on the field or while hitting or running(???) the bases?

Please don't rest on your laurels, Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn. Anyone, in any profession can be replaced. I hope it's not the case that you may be too much of a fat cat and no longer care. What a waste of talent from both of you. To be more exact, what a waste of talent from all three of you if you continue doing as you have been.

What a shame...
    Last edited by Vada Pinson Fan; 09-01-2007 at 01:43 AM.

You all have pretty much summed up Bill Cunningham. I'm not a fan of his so I simply try to avoid his show. If you don't agree or don't take his show for the entertainment factor, then do yourself a favor and turn him off. The ironic thing is that being involved in this thread makes me something of a hypocrite, because the more response the better for one Bill Cunningham.
    Last edited by Orenda; 09-01-2007 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post

For someone who has hit 592 home runs, it's amazing that Ken Griffey Jr. has to admire each ball he thinks has a chance to go out. The flight of every possible/potential home run ball that KGJ hits, turns many balls hit off the wall into mere singles. KGJ does a similar thing on a ball that he presumes will be caught. He no longer runs them out, at least he doesn't run it out hard/fast. Adam Dunn is basically doing the same thing, although he doesn't do a little hop skip out of the batter's box like Griffey does when he thinks he's had a home run. I just about want to spew when I see KGJ do that. What is with these guys that they can't/won't hustle 100% anymore? Griffey is healthy this year, at least healthier than he's been in preceding years. Doesn't he realize he is looked up to by thousands of fans in person and on TV, watching games that he participates in? How can he justify his actions for being someone who doesn't hustle? It's just not the occasional thing occuring here. It's way, way more frequent than that, and its a shame! In general, the same goes for Adam Dunn. Is it too much to ask for these pampered ballplayers to bust their butts for three hours a night? I have become increasingly disgusted with the play of Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn and some other Reds, who on occasion are beginning to do the same things as AD and KGJ. And we know who they are.

In baseball, you're resting half of the game anyway, while on the bench waiting to hit! How tired can you be that you can't hustle while on the field or while hitting or running(???) the bases?

What a shame...

I've complained about this for a long time. The most important effect of the lackluster effort from Dunn and Griffey is on leadership. The Reds have done nothing since these two clowns showed up. Get rid of them both, the sooner the better.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    I've complained about this for a long time. The most important effect of the lackluster effort from Dunn and Griffey is on leadership. The Reds have done nothing since these two clowns showed up. Get rid of them both, the sooner the better.
    Yeah, Griffey and Dunn, that's what's killed us for the past 7 years. Too bad they can't do anything to complement our excellent pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    Bill Cunningham's shtick is so old and tired I can't stand the sound of his voice.
    This is how I feel about Tracy Jones. I seriously can't stand hearing "I played the game" every 2 minutes. I also can't stand the fact that he interrupts his callers when they've only said about 4 words. He just likes to hear the sound of his voice and it makes me naucious.

I feel better now. Thank you.

Is there a link to the Cunningham comments?

Quote Originally Posted by scounts22 View Post
    This is how I feel about Tracy Jones. I seriously can't stand hearing "I played the game" every 2 minutes. I also can't stand the fact that he interrupts his callers when they've only said about 4 words. He just likes to hear the sound of his voice and it makes me naucious.

I feel better now. Thank you.
    Tracy Jones' personality can seem obnoxious if you take him seriously; and, I understand those who dislike him because he doesn't stick to baseball on what is supposedly a baseball call in show.

However it is being unfair to Jones to mention him in the same context as a guy who spews the kind of hurtfull garbage Cunningham does.

When Burbank has retired, the only time my radio will be tuned to 700 is for Reds coverage.

I think that if a guy like Imus would have said this it would have been overlooked. None the less, Cunningham is a disgrace to Cincinnati sports fans with his constant bickering about the Reds. I would love to see him fired. I can't stand his show.

It amazes me how many really dont understand what shock radio is. Guys you really need to learn to take his show as tongue and cheek. Its fairly easy to tell when hes being serious and when hes not.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    It amazes me how many really dont understand what shock radio is. Guys you really need to learn to take his show as tongue and cheek. Its fairly easy to tell when hes being serious and when hes not.
    I understand the concept of shock radio, and shock jocks. Thats not the point. If a guy wants to make a living bashing the Reds he should move to LA. Thats all I'm sayin. I have no problem with him bashing us. I just wish he wouldn't bash his home town team.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Here is the link http://www.700wlw.com/cc-common/podcast.html for the first segment of the "Junior Bashing".
    Scroll down to the right side of the WLW site to where it says "Bill Cunningham on Demand".
    There are 2 "Listen" to links from the Cunningham show: "Hour One" and "Hour Two".
    I'm using Windows XP with Windows Media Player and Real Player installed and had no trouble listening to the link.

There is also a "2nd Hour" link w/ Cunningham continuing his statements about Griffey and Dunn provided at the WLW website found under "Personalities"-Bill Cunningham. Radio commentary from the Reds game w/ announcers Marty and Thom Brennaman deploring the lack of hustle. I'm listening now to the Cunningham statements about the two Reds players and others from the "Listen" tab from the above link. It is a must hear, for many different reasons.
    Last edited by Vada Pinson Fan; 09-01-2007 at 04:54 PM.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I did not hear first hand the comments in question. However, I will state first that I do listen to "Willie" on a semi-regular basis--I go back and forth between him and Jim Rome--and what one must realize (and I think most do) is that his show is pretty much "schtick"; he is like the WWE in that he is not to be taken seriously. He has admitted as much in articles in the past. I remember one article a few years ago in "Cincinnati Magazine" where he admitted to taking both stands on an issue during one show just to "create controversy". And yes, Mr. Cunningham is very popular--as his ratings usually attest.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post

Ok, here is the definition from Answers.com:
    shock radio
    n.
    Talk radio featuring derogatory or offensive remarks, vulgar language, and crude humor.

The Cunningham show from yesterday, in my opinion included; derogatory or offensive remarks. I didn't hear "vulgar" language. "Crude humor" in this case may or may not be subjective.

Turn Off Ads?