Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Merging threads

Merging threads

Not all topics can be lumped into one thread based on the subject... I feel like it robs us from having direct conversation on a topic just because the subject matter is the same.

If this was a political forum would "democrat" and "republican" be our only threads?

Let stuff ride a bit more. Those that are complaining don't have to open a thread that has a very clear title. We're merging a lot of threads that don't need to be merged, and in turn robbing people of garnering information and insight that gets lost in a 5+ page thread as a result. If it's a hook thread title, that's a different story.

I'm seeing lots of catering to a vocal minority lately, and it's taking away from the overall experience of this site.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

2. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (04-30-2013),Bob Sheed (05-01-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Merging threads

Hasn't this topic already been discussed? Maybe it should be merged into the previous discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Hasn't this topic already been discussed? Maybe it should be merged into the previous discussion.
    It will be...

Just a major pet peeve of mine lately. Everything doesn't need to be merged. If it does, let's just have a thread for every opposing team in the NL, a thread for every player on the 25, sticky them, and call it a day.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I see your point, but I think it depends on how different the threads are. The umpteen different Tony Cingrani threads were not appreciably different from "The Tony Cingrani" thread to merit their own platforms, IMO -- but I can imagine other circumstances where there might be two topics under a common rubric worth separating out.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

7. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-30-2013),FlightRick (05-01-2013),marcshoe (05-02-2013),Vottomatic (04-30-2013)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I'm a fan of distinct threads for distinct information, on the grounds that I, too, do not like missing out on a nugget of goodness in the middle of a 7 page monstrosity.

I also can't remember a single time I've seen a merged thread on RedsZone that wasn't entirely justified. There are fewer worthwhile new opinions out there than people think.

Advantage: RedsZone moderators.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    It will be...

Just a major pet peeve of mine lately. Everything doesn't need to be merged. If it does, let's just have a thread for every opposing team in the NL, a thread for every player on the 25, sticky them, and call it a day.
    Care to give multiple examples?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Care to give multiple examples?
    The only threads I've recently merged were the two very similar threads on Tony Cingrani, and honestly, I didn't even give it a second thought. I'm not sure what other threads REDblooded is referring to, so I'm also interested in his input.

To clarify, the goal isn't, nor has it ever been, to have single threads for topics, players, events, etc. However, in the example I mentioned above, there was no need to have multiple threads discussing essentially the same thing (Tony Cingrani's performance so far).

Turn Off Ads?