Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Panic Button (version 2.0)

Re: The Panic Button (version 2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Then sell high for a pitcher.
    I am happy that Rolen was acquired, the fact that a potential bust was sold at his peak value for him is gravy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I am happy that Rolen was acquired, the fact that a potential bust was sold at his peak value for him is gravy.
    EdE and Roenicke for Rolen was a fine deal. Even add another position prospect or a lesser arm if need be, but adding Stewart to get the $4 Million salary relief was not a way to leverage a young arm.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    EdE and Roenicke for Rolen was a fine deal. Even add another position prospect or a lesser arm if need be, but adding Stewart to get the $4 Million salary relief was not a way to leverage a young arm.
    I have no idea where the thought came from that Stewart was thrown in for money relief. IIRC, Walt said that they had to deal Stewart to get Rolen and that they didn't want to but they wanted Rolen that much.

Toronto didn't want EdE and they surely weren't trading Rolen for Roenicke.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    If your referring to your post in the game thread, I absolutely did provide points to debate it, and you chose to scoff at it.

Now regarding this post. No, I'm not going to respect someone that only shows up during bad times to complain and say "I told you so." It provides no opportunity for quality discussion.

I have almost 2,300 posts since joining RZ in 2003. Have you read all my posts? If not, I don't appreciate your accusations.

Perhaps you can share with me what I should be happy with right now? Other than Jay Bruce's impressive tear, this team is an absolute train wreck right now. I'm sorry I'm not singing Kumbaya with the rest of the "It's still early" or "Everything will be fine" crowd.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Jocketty's overall body of work has been good. He's made the right decisions and put money into the core of the team. At the same time, he has been a great bargain hunter with veteran complimentary players.

In the end, we have a payroll, and he has used virtually every penny in a smart manner. I'm not sure if there were tru impact moves that could have been made with the money that we have. We can always trade prospects for some potentially useful cheaper players, but at the same time, I want the Reds to contend long term. I like that the window doesn't have aforseeable closing date. Trade the main prospects and it could certainly crash fast.

All things equal, the Reds are more or less in a position to add a signficant player at the trade deadline where the overall bottom line is only touched for a part of the season. We cant add a 15M player at the beginning of the year, but we might at the deadline. That's when it makes sense.

Otherwise, trading prospects for marginal upgrades was probably a smart road to bypass.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I have almost 2,300 posts since joining RZ in 2003. Have you read all my posts? If not, I don't appreciate your accusations.

Perhaps you can share with me what I should be happy with right now? Other than Jay Bruce's impressive tear, this team is an absolute train wreck right now. I'm sorry I'm not singing Kumbaya with the rest of the "It's still early" or "Everything will be fine" crowd.
    Well there are probably more constructive ways to making an argument about the issues of the team.

Saying the offense is not even close to one of the league's best when they are leading the NL in runs scored (at the time) is pretty lazy analysis IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Well there are probably more constructive ways to making an argument about the issues of the team.

Saying the offense is not even close to one of the league's best when they are leading the NL in runs scored (at the time) is pretty lazy analysis IMHO.
    I believe I said the Reds' offense was not as good as the Phillies, despite some numbers that might suggest otherwise. And a big part of that is timely hitting. I'm not impressed that the Reds can outhit the Phils or Tribe in a particular game if they can't get the knocks to drive in runs.

I'm sorry, but I'll take the Phillies offense over the Reds. That doesn't mean I think the Reds are at the level of the Padres, Dbacks or Pirates in terms of offensive production and I never once suggested anything remotely close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I have no idea where the thought came from that Stewart was thrown in for money relief. IIRC, Walt said that they had to deal Stewart to get Rolen and that they didn't want to but they wanted Rolen that much.

Toronto didn't want EdE and they surely weren't trading Rolen for Roenicke.
    They had to deal Stewart to get Rolen and for the Jays were to pay the bill. If the Jays don't pay, no deal from the Reds end. The Reds insisting on the Jays paying is the only way that Stewart became a must. The Jays were dealing Rolen. He wanted out. They got as much as they did because of the money.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I believe I said the Reds' offense was not as good as the Phillies, despite some numbers that might suggest otherwise. And a big part of that is timely hitting. I'm not impressed that the Reds can outhit the Phils or Tribe in a particular game if they can't get the knocks to drive in runs.

I'm sorry, but I'll take the Phillies offense over the Reds. That doesn't mean I think the Reds are at the level of the Padres, Dbacks or Pirates in terms of offensive production and I never once suggested anything remotely close to that.
    That's a fair opinion. Totally entitled to that.

But you can't really have a discussion with you when you didn't even want to consider total runs scored which is the #1 job of an offense. That HAS to be worth something.

Bailey was put on the 15 day DL and Leake was activated.

I haven't seen any other moves so right now you have Fisher who is probably unavailable for a while, Thompson who is also probably unavailable for a few days and LeCure who has forearm tightness.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    You underestimate Jocketty/Bob's willingness to just be "competitive" and milk a division winning season every so often.
    The Reds FO was really active during the off season.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Baker on Willis:

“I only got a few fingers left to put in the dike,” Baker said. “With a groin, you’ve got to be careful. That’s real serious injury if he tears it. We’re hoping he comes back soon. We sure could use him.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...itchers-grows/

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Baker on Willis:

“I only got a few fingers left to put in the dike,” Baker said. “With a groin, you’ve got to be careful."
    Today's out of context quote award winner.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Today's out of context quote award winner.
    Absolutely priceless. The more you read it, the better it gets.

Here is one writer's proposal to fix the Reds

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...he-reds-recipe

So Walt Jocketty and Dusty Baker haven’t been sitting on their hands, but the Reds should be thinking in terms of what other moves they can make to exploit their depth on the big-league roster as well as within a farm system that provides them with good alternatives. The danger of doing nothing is that they might wind up watching as the Cardinals get out too far ahead, and waiting until July to seriously reconsider their roster could only add to the challenge
    1. Stop messing around with Paul Janish as the starting shortstop.
    2. Stick with Lewis and Heisey in left, but not in a straight platoon -- if Heisey wins the job, let him.
    3. Shop a catcher, either catcher.
    4. Deal from depth to get what they need: an ace starter.
    Last edited by klw; 05-29-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Turn Off Ads?