Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you want the new "Thank You" add-on to remain?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 24.69%
  • No

61 75.31%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thanks... But No Thanks

Re: Thanks... But No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    All,

This has been removed due to the overwhelming majority that voted not to keep it.
    Thanks!

I wish I had a button to thank you.

Actually, thanks for allowing us to voice our opinions.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Thanks!

I wish I had a button to thank you.

Actually, thanks for allowing us to voice our opinions.
    Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing. This board is great because of the respectful manner in which we hold actual discussions. As we all know, polite debate is a rare thing on the internet an I'm glad we have this place. Thanks, Boss!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    All,

This has been removed due to the overwhelming majority that voted not to keep it.
    nm

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I, frankly, don't get it. It seems like a forced butt-kissin'. I'd eliminate it.

The concept is good; the execution not so much. Something more along the lines of a thumbs up option could accomplish the same thing using a lot less space -- no need to see who gave the thumbs up. I really like the thumbs up/down system BP uses on their comment feeds.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Nothing wrong with trying new things from time to time Boss.

Keep testing - appreciate all your guys work on the site to make it better.

That didn't take long...We barely knew ye

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Now we've got "live topic"? Or has that been there before and I never noticed it?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Nothing wrong with trying new things from time to time Boss.

Keep testing - appreciate all your guys work on the site to make it better.
    Agreed! I like seeing new features tested out. Some will be good, some won't, but it's nice to see the site continuing to evolve.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Now we've got "live topic"? Or has that been there before and I never noticed it?
    No, it's definitely new. Perhaps it means something like "the last post was made by someone currently online," or "There has been some high number, i.e. 5 posts made in the thread in some recent time period, i.e. the last hour"

Just a couple theories.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

It appears that if the last post was made in some very recent period, it becomes a "live topic".
    My latest theory, with a bit of research.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    It appears that if the last post was made in some very recent period, it becomes a "live topic".
    My latest theory, with a bit of research.

From VBulletin:

Description:
    This product is different from anything you have seen before, it raises the bar for forums. It will make your forums much more interactive, and also reduce server load.

Technical Details:
    If a thread has been posted in X seconds then its now Live, if other users are viewing the Live topic and are on the last page they will experience a clean ajax experience while talking to other members. Once the thread is older than X seconds its no longer Live and it will now act like a normal thread. Also if a user edits one of their posts that's inside of the thread, it will be updated too so there is no longer a reason to ever have to refresh.

There is also logic for the viewer, the viewer of the thread has to be in an active state to see responses. An active user state is determined upon the users actions, if no actions were made in X seconds then the user is marked as inactive.

Also you may wonder why this could save your server bandwidth and CPU. If a user is refreshing to talk to another members the queries on a normal thread load are way more intense than the ajax call that this modification makes. So if you have 5 people talking to each other none of them have to refresh the page, all they are doing is simple page requests and one intense request when there has actual change.

You can test Live Topic with two users, you will see how amaizing this is... And probably spontaneously combust.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    IMO, it's a good tool for encouraging the kind of posts we want to see more of. I like it.
    This is what I thought. I'm late to the party on this though
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Bummer. I just saw a post I liked and wanted to "thank" someone. Guess I'll keep my opinion to myself.

How about bringing back the rep system, with positive rep only (or no points) and only showing the incoming reps to the recipient? Nobody else needs to know that someone's post got repped.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 05-19-2010 at 11:01 PM.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Bummer. I just saw a post I liked and wanted to "thank" someone. Guess I'll keep my opinion to myself.
    You don't need a button to "thank" someone.

Turn Off Ads?