Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dayn Perry's GM Rankings......Krivsky 28th

Dayn Perry's GM Rankings......Krivsky 28th

This winter's round of signings and trades are, for the most part, over and done with. So the time for assessment has arrived.

It's not hard to find opinions on how each team's general manager has fared throughout the most recent Hot Stove season, but we're going to widen the scope a bit. What follows are the "GM Rankings" for MLB's current crop of top executives. The rankings are, of course, highly subjective, and they're based mostly on each GM's tenure with his current team (although, for those GMs who have toiled elsewhere we'll give minor consideration to their entire bodies of work).
    So let's light this candle …

1. John Schuerholz, Braves
    On the job since … October 1990
    Playoff appearances: 14

The peerless GM running the peerless organization, so there's really no argument here. Schuerholz has, of course, won consistently and convincingly, and he's also managed to maintain a generally strong farm system over the years.

2. Walt Jocketty, Cardinals
    On the job since … October 1994
    Playoff appearances: 7

No GM is better at pulling off the big trade. Since coming to St. Louis, Jocketty has executed one-sided deals for players like Mark McGwire, Jim Edmonds, Scott Rolen, Edgar Renteria, Woody Williams, Mike Timlin, Darryl Kile, Larry Walker, Dennis Eckersley, Fernandos Vina and Tatis and Chuck Finley, among others.

3. Terry Ryan, Twins
    On the job since … September 1994
    Playoff appearances: 4

Billy Beane gets most of the ink when it comes to small-market success stories, but Ryan's work has been even more impressive. Under Ryan, the Twins have cultivated a tremendous eye for amateur talent and knack for identifying (and nabbing) projectable prospects in other organizations.

4. Billy Beane, A's
    On the job since …October 1997
    Playoff appearances: 5

Tight budget, much success. Now he's done it without two-thirds of the "Big Three" in the rotation, and the A's have finally won a playoff series.

5. Theo Epstein, Red Sox
    On the job since … November 2002
    Playoff appearances: 3

Epstein works with tremendous payroll flexibility, but he also does a fine job of vetting the "freely available talent" markets (see: Papi, Big). Under Epstein, the Sox have the occasional weakness for conspicuous consumption, but on the whole they've been quite successful since he took over.

6. Dave Dombrowski, Tigers
    On the job since … October 2002
    Playoff appearances: 1

Under Dombrowski, the Tigers have become one of most daring teams in baseball when the amateur draft comes around. They won the pennant last season, and with all those power arms in the system they're not going anywhere.

7. Kevin Towers, Padres
    On the job since … November 1995

He's in a class with Beane and Ryan in terms of succeeding without loosened purse strings. The difference is that Towers has been doing it for years. For the first time in franchise history, the Pads have reeled off three straight winning seasons.

8. Kenny Williams, White Sox
    On the job since … October 2000

Five years ago, Williams would've been near the bottom of this list. No exec in recent memory has evolved to such a degree. He identifies weaknesses and addresses them efficiently, and he often deals from a position of strength on the trade market.

The Mets' Omar Minaya and the Braves' John Schuerholz are trying to one-up each other in the NL East. (Rich Pilling/MLB / Getty Images)

9. Omar Minaya, Mets
    On the job since …September 2004

Minaya trusts his youngsters and does well in terms of identifying premium talent and filling holes on the roster. He's also made the Mets the destination for Latin talent. Let's also not forget the solid work he did under impossible circumstances with Montreal.

10. Larry Beinfest, Marlins
    On the job since … February 2002

Perhaps the most underrated operator in the game today. Beinfest has a World Series ring, and he did a tremendous job of trading off vets for young talent at the behest of Jeffrey Loria.

11. Brian Cashman, Yankees
    On the job since … February 1998
    Playoff appearances: 9

It's difficult to know which decisions Cashman is making and which are dictated to him from on high. The Yankees have won and won often on his watch, but those limitless coffers have more than a little to do with that.

12. Bill Stoneman, Angels
    On the job since … November 1999
    Playoff appearances: 3

Stoneman makes seriously questionable contract decisions from time to time (e.g., Darin Erstad, Gary Matthews Jr.), but there's no questioning the overall success he's had.

13. Mark Shapiro, Indians
    On the job since … November 2001
    Playoff appearances: 0

Outstanding job assembling the young talent that's now in place. Occasionally gets desperate in the search for relievers and is overly loyal to Eric Wedge. Still, the Tribe's poised for a nice run in the brutal AL Central.

14. Doug Melvin, Brewers
    On the job since …September 2002

Never deserved to be fired at Texas. Brewers farm system improved under Melvin, and they're now darkhorse contenders in the NL Central.

15. Pat Gillick, Phillies
    On the job since … November 2005

Since leaving Toronto, Gillick's success has mostly been a matter of good timing. Poor track record of building farm systems, but a capable "win now" exec.

16. Josh Byrnes, Diamondbacks

Too early to make any lasting judgments about Byrnes, but he's one of the brightest young GMs in the game today. Nice work seamlessly integrating the wealth of young talent. Javier Vazquez trade was a masterstoke.

17. Brian Sabean, Giants
    On the job since … September 1996

The Giants have won a pennant and three division titles under Sabean, but his neglect of the farm system and his willingness to part with the few prospects the Giants have developed are not to his credit. Neither is his undying fondness for decline-phase veterans.

18. Tim Purpura, Astros
    On the job since …November 2004

The ‘Stros have won a pennant under Purpura, but Gerry Hunsicker's fingerprints were all over that team. He's done little to distinguish himself, but he's kept Houston in the competitive fray. Purpura, like Towers, Epstein and Cashman, is skilled at blending statistical and traditional methods of evaluating talent. Long-term, he should become one of the game's best.

19. Dayton Moore, Royals
    On the job since … June 2006

Moore has made some nifty additions during his brief tenure, but the trade of Andy Sisco for yet another DH/corner defender type was highly dubious. Lots of work ahead in a ruthlessly tough division, but elite talents like Alex Gordon and Billy Butler are on the way.

20. J.P. Ricciardi, Blue Jays
    On the job since … November 2001

Last season, the Jays finished higher than third place for the first time 1993. He's made the organization more efficient, but the farm system has foundered badly under him, mostly because of his college-heavy drafts. Ricciardi's social skills and media savvy also leave much to be desired.

21. Ned Colletti, Dodgers

The Dodgers netted a playoff appearance in Colletti's first season, but in the process he traded away a number of high-ceiling prospects. He learned his craft under Sabean, so the "prospects are bargaining chits" mentality was heavily inculcated.

22. Andrew Friedman, Devil Rays

Very little track record to go on, but so far Friedman has failed where Chuck LaMar failed — in finding pitching. That's the challenge going forward.

23. Jon Daniels, Rangers
    On the job since … October 2005
    Playoff appearances:

Daniels has done some good things, but he's betrayed a questionable eye for pitching. The Rangers' front office needs to understand that groundball pitchers are a necessity, and chasing the likes of Barry Zito (thankfully for Texas he signed elsewhere) is not defensible. He also took the short end of the Alfonso Soriano trade with D.C.

24. Jim Bowden, Nationals
    On the job since … October 2004

Bowden is the depth and breadth of inconsistency. He's occasionally brilliant on the trade market (see immediately above and below), but he's a poor evaluator when it comes to signing upper-tier free agents.

25. Jim Hendry, Cubs
    On the job since … July 2002

Hendry was brilliant as a scouting director, but he's woefully overmatched as a GM. He's failed to identify pitchers well suited to work in Wrigley, and that trend continued this winter. Hendry's now operating with a high payroll, but it's not likely to make much of a difference.

26. Mike Flanagan, Orioles
    On the job since …December 2002

The O's these days aren't as miserable as they're often made out to be, and the farm system is improving. However, the pointless — and expensive — patch job remains the hallmark of this once-proud organization. Flanagan has the smarts, but he lacks the autonomy to run the organization his way.

27. Dave Littlefield, Pirates
    On the job since … July 2001

If you haven't had a winning season in almost 15 years, then you'd at least hope the farm system is brimming. That's not the case with Littlefield and the Pirates. In particular, he's done a poor job managing his 40-man roster in advance of the Rule 5 Draft. There's no discernible plan in Pittsburgh.

28. Wayne Krivsky, Reds
    On the job since … February 2006

Krivsky hasn't been in Cincy for very long, but he's already done damage. In particular, the 2006 trade that sent Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez and Ryan Wagner to the Nationals in exchange for Bill Bray, Gary Majewski, Royce Clayton, Brandan Harris and Daryl Thompson was, from Cincy's perspective, one of the worst trades of the decade. Like a lot of GMs whose teams toil in hitter-friendly parks, Krivsky acts out of desperation when trying to find pitching.

29. Dan O'Dowd, Rockies
    On the job since … September 1999

One of the modern world's great mysteries is how O'Dowd is still employed as a Major League GM. He discards prevailing strategies like used tissue, and the farm system has churned out precious little on his watch. He's the guy who gave Mike Hampton the 15th-largest contract in sports history and signed Todd Helton through 2011. ‘Nuff said.

30. Bill Bavasi, Mariners
    On the job since … November 2003

No GM is worse when it comes to identifying free-agent targets, and on the trade market he's also played a little fast and loose with the organizational depth. He'll leave the M's as an organization that's in demonstrably worse shape than when he arrived.
    Personally, I don't care much for Dayn Perry, but it's hard to argue his point in this General Manager ranking. Obviously, the trade hasn't been too successful to date, but would the Reds be that much better right now if we had one of the top GM's?

Krivsky is in a difficult situation in Cincinnati. The roster and minor leagues are thin. The budget still limits major signings. I guess my major complaint would be there is no direction with this team. I thought Krivsky had a plan when he took over, and after the trade when he freed up some extra money, but at this point, "his plan" has yet to surface.....or, was there ever a plan? It appears to me, that he had an idea of what he wanted to do, but things haven't transpired (lack of patience?) like he thought and now he's stuck in transition.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Dayn Perry's GM Rankings......Krivsky 28th

Krivsky is in a difficult situation in Cincinnati. The roster and minor leagues are thin. The budget still limits major signings. I guess my major complaint would be there is no direction with this team. I thought Krivsky had a plan when he took over, and after the trade when he freed up some extra money, but at this point, "his plan" has yet to surface.....or, was there ever a plan? It appears to me, that he had an idea of what he wanted to do, but things haven't transpired (lack of patience?) like he thought and now he's stuck in transition.
    They way I look at it, the "plan" isn't for 07, but for 08 and beyond. Use the money freed up to lock down Harang. Tread water with some of the older guys signed until the likes of Bailey, Votto, Bruce, etc. are up and then try to make significant signings in the FA market.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The major reason for the low ranking appears to be a trade which looked awful in '06, but could look better this year or next. The reviewer also conveniently overlooks the positive moves, like the trade for Phillips.
    /r/reds

Being ranked below guys who have been doing their jobs longer - yet helm teams which have yet to see a ray of playoff hope - pretty much negates any bit of realism in this ranking.

I agree MrCinatit, especially behind Littlefield. I think the LaRoche deal is going to turn out well, but there has been some real bonehead moves in the past 6 years there. Compairing one lousy trade to 6 years of mistakes is poor execution at best and biased at worst.
    Last edited by Crosley68; 01-22-2007 at 09:19 AM.
    Let's play two!!!

GO Reds

I agree with this post krivisky is a horible Gm he has done nothing but hurt the Reds. The only person he has brought in that helped the reds was Guardado and he got hurt at the end when we needed him.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaReds22 View Post
    I agree with this post krivisky is a horible Gm he has done nothing but hurt the Reds. The only person he has brought in that helped the reds was Guardado and he got hurt at the end when we needed him.
    Arroyo, Phillips, Ross... those guys had little impact, I know, but give the man a chance... he might just get one right one of these times

Quote Originally Posted by DaReds22 View Post
    Yeah....David Ross, Bronson Arroyo, Brandon Phillips and Scott Hatteberg did nothing to help the team last year.

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Bob Howsam tried to make bad trades for the Cardinals, it was the main reason they let him walk, I guess Dayne didn't have any basketball to write about.

Lesson to me, no one is perfect and not one traded defines your regime (however short it may be)

Putting the Royals at 19 and D-Rays at 22 removed all legitimacy from this list.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Bob Howsam tried to make bad trades for the Cardinals, it was the main reason they let him walk, I guess Dayne didn't have any basketball to write about.

Lesson to me, no one is perfect and not one traded defines your regime (however short it may be)

No, but the Milton acquisition defined the DanO era, fair or not. One deal can kill a gm, but we'll never know if it was deserved or not in the majority of the cases because it wasn't long after that said GM got canned.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    No, but the Milton acquisition defined the DanO era, fair or not. One deal can kill a gm, but we'll never know if it was deserved or not in the majority of the cases because it wasn't long after that said GM got canned.
    If you sit on your hands for years and only go out and buy a package of ham and no bread, cheese or mustard then yes it can.

But Dan O'Brien had 28 months, Krivsky is closing in on 12... so I suggest we sit back and watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Putting the Royals at 19 and D-Rays at 22 removed all legitimacy from this list.
    This is GM rankings and the Royals GM is new on the job so I understand him being ranked close to where he was. (Except maybe that free agent signing (Meche) he made this winter..what was it...20 years and $300 million or something like that. JK)
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

That's the thing, your one big deal is a horrible, horrible contract and you get ranked ahead of 11 other GMs? That's nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The Milton deal was a major part of DanO's reputation FCB, but I think his overall inactivity (execept for largley bad moves when he finally did something), combined with LaRue and Wilsons contracts + Sean Casey's trade also played a major role in the overall view of his ragime.

I don't think it's accurate to say DanO is soley defined by one trade.

Turn Off Ads?