Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: 8/17/13 Reds @ Milwaukee (Let's At Least Sew Up the Split)

Re: 8/17/13 Reds @ Milwaukee (Let's At Least Sew Up the Split)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You're not going to tick off a prolonged win streak or dominant two weeks with an offense like the Reds'. It's just not going to happen. No matter how hard they try.

2. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (08-19-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    This is reactionary...and I know it...but this game makes me wonder how much we're going to regret the Phillips and Votto contracts in 3 years. We lost and I'm angry. And if we get a WS victory out of it then it's worth every penny. But these guys are not giving us fair return on the investment thus far. Especially Phillips. And saber or no saber...Marty or no Marty...Dusty lineup, etc. Votto's got work to do to earn that money.
    In 3 years new TV Contract will make it irrelevant in regards to being able to still sign other players. They will never truly earn that money anyways. BP is not going to get better and Votto is not going to be as good as Miguel Cabrera, which is the only hitter that deserves that type of money.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    There is not one player on offense who is not underachieving. Bailey is the only pitcher who is underachieving. Maybe pitching is not the name of the game afterall.
    Yovani Gallardo is a batting tee and the Brewers offense is triple A. Latos did a nice job tonight. We pay him for performances like that. It's becoming clearer to me why he tends to lose his composure. This team does him no favors.

I would like to have an open and earnest discussion about Joey Votto. No vitriol or hatred. Just a discussion. I know that can't happen because of the saber vs. non-saber dichotomy with baseball fans. And such discussions can usually cause the originator to head for the hills for all the accusations of ignorance and charlatanism. We seem to all agree that Phillips has been a disappointment...but when it comes to Votto there is just no synthesis.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Yovani Gallardo is a batting tee and the Brewers offense is triple A. Latos did a nice job tonight. We pay him for performances like that. It's becoming clearer to me why he tends to lose his composure. This team does him no favors.

I would like to have an open and earnest discussion about Joey Votto. No vitriol or hatred. Just a discussion. I know that can't happen because of the saber vs. non-saber dichotomy with baseball fans. And such discussions can usually cause the originator to head for the hills for all the accusations of ignorance and charlatanism. We seem to all agree that Phillips has been a disappointment...but when it comes to Votto there is just no synthesis.
    Then start a thread and lay out your case, whatever that may be. His salary is fair game, but so is his overall production and relativity to the rest of the league.

7. Likes:

kbrake (08-17-2013),Tom Servo (08-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Then start a thread and lay out your case, whatever that may be. His salary is fair game, but so is his overall production and relativity to the rest of the league.
    Q: How's your wife?

Henny Youngman: Relative to who?

9. Likes:

kaldaniels (08-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. You're not going to tick off a prolonged win streak or dominant two weeks with an offense like the Reds'. It's just not going to happen. No matter how hard they try.
    You know times have changed when FCB is not compalining about the pitching.

There is not one player on offense who is not underachieving. Bailey is the only pitcher who is underachieving. Maybe pitching is not the name of the game afterall.
    How exactly are Bruce, Mes and Choo underachieving? Sure, Votto's power numbers are down, but it's hard to be too critical of a guy with a .900+ OPS.

The longer this goes on, the more I stand by the belief that this offense simply isn't that good. One man's underperforming is another's overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    How exactly are Bruce, Mes and Choo underachieving? Sure, Votto's power numbers are down, but it's hard to be too critical of a guy with a .900+ OPS.

The longer this goes on, the more I stand by the belief that this offense simply isn't that good. One man's underperforming is another's overrated.
    I expected Bruce to have a breakout year. He continues to put up barely adequate numbers despite playing in a little league park. Choo is hitting .270, is that what you expected at the time of the trade? Didn't you expect more from Mes- more than under .250 and 8 HRs? Is it expecting too much that at some point Votto (or Bruce) would step up and carry this team like Ludwick did last July/August?

I expected Bruce to have a breakout year. He continues to put up barely adequate numbers despite playing in a little league park.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The Pollyanna crowd: Don't criticise Joey, don't criticise Bruce, don't criticise Choo. Its all Cozart's fault.

The insane logic crowd: We are 69-54, this sucks and is all the fault of our best performing players.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The insane logic crowd: We are 69-54, this sucks and is all the fault of our best performing players.
    We're 69-54 because we have a superb pitching staff. Our best performing players are all on the mound. As tonight's game proved once again (the third time we've been shut out by the Brewers!!!) we are doing well despite our pathetic offense. And when you look at the underachieving offense, you have to look at the underachieving stars.

17. Likes:

DocRed (08-17-2013)

Last 3 months...

Pitching A...if not A+
    Offense D

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Last 3 months...

Pitching A...if not A+
    Offense D
    Paticularly if you define the "offense" to include running the bases and playing defense.

Choo is hitting .270, is that what you expected at the time of the trade?
    Choo this year: .276 .410 .446 .856
    Choo career: .287 .386 .463 .848

Choo's 2013 OPS+: 132. Choo's career OPS+: 132.

What the heck are you talking about?

21. Likes:

Raisor (08-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?